Review of Olympus XZ-1 on DPReview!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by playak47, Jan 26, 2011.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Looks to be a winner, but the price needs to come down a bit. It is more then the epl-1. Great option for a compact pocket cam for pen owners. Love that it can use the pens accessories.
  3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Price on the canon s95 is $469 on amazon. I don't see how the price will come down any time soon. Since I have e-pl1 with 20mm lens, I dont see myself spending money for this camera either. It looks very nice though.
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The S95 goes on sale for between $300-$400 on Newegg quite often. You can get a refurbed S95 directly from Canon for $319. The LX5 is $400 on Amazon. I think the street price for this will need to be in line with those to be competitive.

I thought this would be a M43 sensor in a compact body ala the APS sensor in Sigma DP1/2s. That would have been awesome.
  5. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

The new camera is touted as being a "Professional" camera.......I can't see what is "Pro" about it, in fact in looks like Oly is peddling backwards!
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It would have needed a much larger lens to get anywhere close to the same zoom range (which is the NEX achilles heel as well) - probably very tough to do with an m43 sized sensor and a fixed zoom. It could work with a fixed focal length (as it does with the Leica X-1 and hopefully will with the new Fuji), but not with a zoom of any consequence...

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I kinda like it - shame they didn't resurrect the Pen EE designation :)

Still can't afford it though :-(

My EP1 is just a little bulky even with a pancake 17 or 20mm when on the turps or at a party so I've been eyeing up the lx3/s90 with interest waiting for the price-drop. Then again the iPod Touch / iPhone with the Hipstermatic software seems to be filling the 'party-cam' niche for a lot of people these days so does a P&S still have a future ?
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Anyone else not particularly impressed by the test/sample images?
  9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    They seem good to me. I am impressed.
  10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I am not impressed. Sample images look very soft and devoid of details, although color is very attractive.
  11. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I have never been impressed by DPReview's sample images before.
  12. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Looks pretty good, but I'll stick with my EX1/TL500. I doubt if I'll ever buy another compact, now that I have discovered the joys of m4/3!

All the best,