Review of 3 types of straps

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NettieNZ, Jul 3, 2012.

1. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    I'm a keen traveller to some of the less developed parts of the world and I really love the photographic opportunities from the people and places in these locations.
    However it's best not to go emblazoned with logos all over anything expensive. Big 'CANON' or ' OLYMPUS' lettering on a camera strap is an advertisement for the camera to be stolen.

Since I saw the specs for the OM-D it looked like the perfect travel camera for me. The retro styling is a good thing - making it look like an old camera means that potential thieves are less interested in it. However I really didn't like the strap that it came with so I started looking for other options.

For reference my normal favorite lens at the moment is a 20mm f1.7 but often if the weather is a bit iffy I use the 12-50mm kit lens.

The three options I've tried are:
    - Tamrac leather padded strap
    - Rapid style (a Chinese copy) sling strap
    - Original OM-1 leather strap

These were all sourced from eBay and both the Tamrac strap and the OM-1 strap are second hand.

TAMRAC
    The Tamrac strap is a perennial favorite for a lot of people. It's well constructed and can easily be made a lot less conspicuous by removing the sewn on Tamrac label. For wearing a camera around your neck this strap is extremely comfortable. However I prefer to wear my camera shooter style across my shoulder. Unfortunate the suede leather covering of the padding doesn't slide well over clothing and doesn't seem to lend itself to wearing a camera this way.

RAPID STYLE SLING
    This one is a Chinese knock off of the rapid strap. I like the across the shoulder way of wearing the strap and the ease of sliding the camera up and down the strap for shooting. However the camera doesn't seem to sit easily against my body. Maybe I didn't give it long enough using it but I don't seem to naturally be able to pick up the camera and rotate it to bring it up to eye level. It might just be a self conscious thing but the OM-D with a pancake lens just seems too small to use with this strap.

OM-1 STRAP
    I bought this as a bit of a wild card. I thought it would be great to see what the original OM-1 strap is like on the OM-D. It is a thin leather strap with a small rubber shoulder pad. It somewhat goes against all the conventional wisdom of having a wide strap with a big pad to distribute the weight of the camera. However it seems to suit wearing my camera shooter style. The leather easily slides over clothing and the rubber pad is quite comfortable on my shoulder. The weight of the OM-D really isn't a problem with the narrow strap and small pad. However I think it wearing around the neck it would be a bit of a different story - the pad is probably too small for wearing this strap for a few hours with a weight pulling on the back of your neck. But for my preferred style of wearing a camera across my body this strap is the one for me.

I'm surprised that the OM-1 strap is the one I've chosen to keep using. Added bonus is that it also looks the part with the retro styling of the OM-D.

If I had a much heavier kit I'm quite sure that my decision would be different - probably opting for the sling strap. But I think I'll be giving it to my brother who likes to carry 3kgs of camera gear with him even on all his hiking trips :)

2. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I use plain A&A straps, but I have to point out thieves do not care or notice the name on the strap, if someone has interest in stealing they are going to steal any camera. It does not matter the strap or type of camera, it matters to just pay attention to where your camera is at all times. My cameras rarely go over my shoulder or around my neck, if I am shooting the strap gets wrapped around my wrist and the camera is in my hand

• Like Like x 1
  3. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. Yes, keeping your eye on your gear is probably the first and best step to preventing things from being stolen.

Personally I try to be relatively inconspicuous when travelling through countries like India, Indonesia, Vietnam and others. I know this can be a contradiction in terms when you are a Westerner in these places, but not having big logos over everything helps with rapport with the locals as well as not shouting out "TOURIST".

Ok this is the no frills approach and if I was in New York, Paris or Rome I wouldn't be thinking about this in the same way at all :)

Attached Files: