Review: iPad Camera Connection Kit

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
Drove four hours today (return trip) to the closest US Apple Store to pick up an iPad Camera Connection Kit. Hey, I leave for China in 4 days; I'm desperate!

You get two adapters; one for USB, and one for SD cards, including SDHC. It also accepts MicroSD and MiniSD when used with an adapter.

I loaded a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card with 223 file photos; 153 are JPG and 70 are RAW out of my G1 (RAW was shot with a JPG also, i.e. RAW + JPG).

Time to finish loading into the "Photo" App on iPad: 5 minutes.
Time to finish loading into iPhoto on a 1.6Gb macbook Air: 14 minutes (!)

Number of Photos that show up in iPad: 153
Number of Photos that show up in iPhoto on Macbook Air: 223

It seems that it converts RAW into a viewable format (JPG?), and shows JPG as JPG, but it doesn't show both RAW + JPG i.e. two photos of the same shot (unlike iPhoto, which shows both).

But does it just convert the RAW into JPG, and throw away the RAW files?

Space left on iPad before uploading: 3.69 GB free
Space left on iPad after uploading 1.9GB of files: 1.78 free

So, the RAW files are in the iPad somewhere. But there seems to be no way to take a RAW picture file and download it back OUT into a new, backup SD card. Bummer. Maybe when it's jailbroken.....

The choices to export said photo are: Email Photo, Send to MobileMe, Assign to Contact, Use as Wallpaper, Copy Photo. That's it.

Summary: useful to view photos on a trip (9.7" is definitely better than 3" on the camera), useful to store photos as slideshows, not very useful as a backup storage device (for now).

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I am waiting for my kit but I would consider it a way to view work while traveling to check jpgs for defects but with limited storage not a place to transfer photos to and erase cards. I figured there would be an issue with RAW files anyway.

I would think a third party developer could create a good app for importing and viewing photos that would add more functionality then apple software.

shastings

New to Mu-43
Hi, when my iPad is plugged into the MacBook Aperture gives me the option to import the photos on my iPad. I don't have the camera connection kit yet so can't check to see if when it uploads the photos to Aperture it also uploads RAW copies. Maybe someone can check this. Susan

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Hi, when my iPad is plugged into the MacBook Aperture gives me the option to import the photos on my iPad. I don't have the camera connection kit yet so can't check to see if when it uploads the photos to Aperture it also uploads RAW copies. Maybe someone can check this. Susan
Yeah, I'm real interested in this too. I read in a different thread that RAW files from an E-PL1 were uploading ok to an ipad, but Apple doesn't support those RAW files yet in Aperture or IPhoto, so I question whether they're really reading the RAW file or just the little display jpeg that seems to be embedded? And, particularly, what happens when you then upload from the Ipad into Aperture, whether you get the full RAW file for further processing. With that, this could be a really useful intermediate step while traveling. Without it, its nothing but a viewer...

-Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Ray and shastings see Gus's post here https://www.mu-43.com/f74/ipad-2079/index7.html#post24475 on the main thread. I've copied it over here, as well.
Hi Ray,
Sadly it didn't work with the E-PL1 in Aperture. I could see pictures, but believe those were the JPGs (I am a noob with RAW format) I tried with the FZ50 and those transfer without problems.

I forgot to answer in your previous question. Once you import the pictures to the iPad, you can select to delete or rotate. That's all the extra functionality I saw from the camera kit. Of course you can email them or use those pictures with other apps, but the functionality of the photo app from Apple is very limited.

Gus

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
copied from the iPad thread

I've copied Robert's post about the Camera Connection Kit here, from the iPad thread:
Last time I posted on this thread I promised that when my Camera Connection Kit arrived I would write a little about it.

Good news friends, with the plug I just downloaded about twenty images from the camera memory card to the iPad and then downloaded the images from the iPad to my Mac as a second separate step and it all works easily.

I did it as follows...

This works on my iPad with the Camera Connection Kit and using a Macintosh computer.

1 - Connect the SDHC memory card from the camera to the appropriate plug which is plugged into the iPad.

2 - The iPad then automatically displays thumbnails of all the files on the card and then tapping on the thumbnails will select or deselect them as shown by a check mark in the bottom right hand corner on the thumbnails.

3 - After the selections are made tap the import button and all selected pictures are transferred to a stack in the Photos app named Last import (this is both jpg and orf raw files).

4 - Remove the Camera Connection Kit plug and connect the iPad to the computer via the USB connector.

5 - Your computer has a program on it called Image Capture which when run will display thumbnails of all images that have been downloaded from the camera memory card to the iPad.

6 - select all or a subset of all by selecting the ones you wish to download.

7 - Choose a directory you wish the downloaded pictures to go to and you can download your pictures.

The pictures in your specified directory are now there as if they were coming to the Mac from the memory card directly.

It is actually simpler than it sounds in my description.

Yay Apple :bravo-009:

I also have my iPad apple cover now. It feels so nice to carry it in my hand without the fear of its smooth aluminum and glass slipping out of my hand and falling to the floor.

Yay Apple again :2thumbs:

Robert

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Here is a link to a review with video from Adobe guru Terry White's site:

iPad Camera Connection Kit Review | Terry White's Tech Blog

Terry uploads some raw images from his D5000 and is able to edit them on the iPad using the PhotoShop Mobile and Photogene apps although he wasn't sure if he was editing the raw file directly or just the jpeg preview file.

I guess this is a good start and with time hopefully better/expanded uses and associated apps will emerge to take advantage of the iPad as a storage, viewing, and light editing device.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
MacWorld's "A Photographer's Workflow for the iPad"

John1027, posted a great link to a good article about the iPad's ability to work with both RAW and JPEG, from MacWorld. I thought it was worth while posting here, as well.

Decent article on "A photographer's Workflow for the iPad" featured on Macworld.com

A photographer's workflow for the iPad | Accessories | Digital Photo | Macworld

From the article on MacWorld:
...Amazingly enough, the iPad supports the same raw files that your Mac does. You can upload these files from your camera to the iPad and they will appear as regular photos in the Photos app, Keynote, and third-party applications. When you transfer the images off of the iPad to your Mac, they will maintain their full raw integrity. If you email them from the iPad, however, they will be attached as a converted full-sized JPEG instead of a raw file.

Because raw files take up more space than JPEGs, you will want to move them off your iPad as soon as possible. But what about those great raw shots that you want to keep on the iPad for sharing with others? There's a terrific solution called Raw+JPEG...
You can check out the full article if you're interested. Sounds pretty good to me, so thank you John!:thumbup:

w7ox

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Phil Wheeler
Summary: useful to view photos on a trip (9.7" is definitely better than 3" on the camera), useful to store photos as slideshows, not very useful as a backup storage device (for now).
Definitely worth having if you have an iPad. I took shots with one of my "social" cameras (Canon S90) at a party in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and used the camera kit and iPad to do a near real time sideshow. More interest in the iPad than the images, but it was cool to have on hand.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
I've had the camera connection kit since I got my ipad. I'm actually more impressed than I thought I would be. I use an Epson P3000 (with a modified drive) to back up my professional work in the field.

The iPad kit loads from SD cards at about the same speed as the Epson and the files are easily accessable when the ipad is connected to a computer. On my windows machine the iPad shows up as a drive and I can just copy the files staright to any location I want.

The iPad copies and displays images from any camera I've connected to it. It does not display the actual raw data, but the embedded jpeg preview, which is not always full resolution. It's good enough for most purposes. The first post stated that Raw and jpeg were not transferred. This is not correct. You can set the iPad to copy across both files if you set it to copy RAW and Jpeg. Also the iPad has a few nice features in that you can select which files to download and you can tell it to not download files it already has. This means you can do incremental backups, a great feature. Not so good is the fact that all downloads are organised in folders by date taken. If you download one card it may be split into many, many folders on the iPad.

You don't have any access to display any shooting data on the iPad like you can on the Epson. And if you email or work on a file it used the jpeg preview. It doesn't extract a jpeg from the RAW data. Not that I ever expected it to. The iPad also happily plays movies copied from my EP-1. I haven't tested it with my Canon 5D2 files, although I doubt the IPad can handle them.

Pros versus a dedicated photo viewer:
- Large screen
- Not just a photo viewer/storage device
- Reasonably quick downloads
- Plays back video files from downloaded cards
- Allows you to select/deselect images to download.
- Option to download only new files.

Cons versus a dedicated viewer:
- Can't view shooting properties
- Storage capacity
- No CF card reader
- Doesn't use the actual raw data.
- Can't output to another external drive. Needs to be hooked up to a PC.
- Has it's own folder structure based on date.

Overall for a easy backup device that you already have with you the iPad is an excellent short term back-up device.

Gordon

koensmeets1

New to Mu-43
Awesome. just awesome…i haven’t any word to appreciate this post….. Really i am impressed from this post….the person who create this post he is a great human.. thanks for shared this with us.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for all the information. I have the kit, but just got it and have been shooting in JPEG thus far. I've used the camera connection kit, but my editing of photos on my iPad has been limited to deleting anything obviously (unintentionally) blurry.

markkevin123

New to Mu-43
With the iPad Camera Connection Kit, it's incredibly easy to download photos and videos from your digital camera to your iPad so you can view them on the gorgeous iPad display and share them with family and friends.

The kit includes two connectors, each with a different interface:

* The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included). iPhone 3G is not supported.
* Use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from your camera's SD card. Connect it to your iPad, then insert your digital camera's SD card into the slot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom