1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Review: Case Logic High Zoom Camera Case DCB-66 for E-P1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Brianetta, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Case Logic High Zoom Camera Case DCB-66

This is a great case for an E-P1. Despite the fact that Case Logic's compatibility wizard states, "Sorry Your Olympus E-P1 DOES NOT fit this case," it does - and very well indeed. There are a couple of minor drawbacks, but all in all I'm extremely chuffed with this case. This case is currently on sale for under a tenner (delivery included) in the UK.

Pros:
    • Inexpensive
    • Robust
    • Very easy to open quickly
    • Two means of opening
    • 25 year warranty
    • Light weight
    Cons:
    • Original shoulder strap broke almost immediately
    • Small entrance flap can work itself open by the corners
    • Not entirely waterproof
    • Handle is on the flap
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The case looks pretty good. It can bounce around a little, because the shoulder strap loops are right in the middle, but it's so small and light that this doesn't become a problem. The strap that was included with the case, unfortunately, broke as soon as it was used; the strap had plastic swivelling clips, and the swivel was cracked. The strap attached at the moment is from my previous LowePro case.

The case has no external pockets. Everything is safely secured inside. To get inside, there are two flaps. The larger one opens wide, exposing the entire interior. It is secured by a clip buckle, which for some unknown reason is adjustable. It has two zips, and the entire flap is designed to open in one motion by undoing and lifting the clip buckle. The smaller one is the other way around, and mounted in the larger flap. It is secured by a strip of hook & loop fastening. It opens as easily as the large flap; opening one does not disturb the other.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Inside the case, there are two elasticated mesh pockets, one at each end. These easily hold a spare battery or a couple of filters. There are two partitions, which are secured by hook & loop strips. They can only be fastened to the front and back walls of the bag, which limits the versatility of these partitions, but does allow a little bit of adjustment. The partitions each have an elasticated mesh pocket, like the ones in the case itself, giving a total of four pockets. I chose to place them fairly close together to accommodate the E-P1, allowing it to be lifted through the small flap in the lid. The partitions are nice and stiff; they hold the camera snugly and do not flex with its weight.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    There's plenty of room in the ends of the case for such items as a LensPen, a cloth, a mini tripod or a pancake lens. The E-P1's shoulder strap can get in the way; I wrap it around itself and place it on top of the kit zoom, which is attached to the camera. If I had a pancake on the camera, I'd turn it a quarter and move the partitions even closer together, giving room for a full zoom lens at one end.

My favourite feature of this case is the flap in the lid, which allows the camera to be extracted without risking any of the other contents. This makes it wickedly easy to get the camera out when you need to:
    [​IMG]
    A small drawback is that the grab handle is on the small flap, which is in the big flap. If they aren't properly secured, either flap can be opened when the bag is lifted by this handle, spilling the contents. It's more secure when the flaps are properly closed, but I wouldn't recommend using the handle for anything more strenuous than gently lifting the bag up.

Another drawback is that the zips have no storm flaps, or in fact any protection from moisture at all. The corners of the small flap, in particular, are points of potential water ingress during rainy weather. In fact, the corner of the small flap worked itself open against my belt whilst I was wearing the case over my shoulder. I've also had a bit of a problem with a jamming zip; these are cheap coil zips. They open and close smoothly and easily, but they're not the strongest component.
    [​IMG]
    As long as the hook & loop is pushed firmly closed, this problem is minimised, but one should bear in mind that this case isn't going to protect the camera from the very worst weather.

In summary: I do recommend this case to Pen owners. At the price, it's difficult to beat. It's big enough for the camera and a good number of essentials, but it's light and a good shape.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Caselogic no longer manufacture this case. Mine's still going strong, although I can't cram three lenses into it. )-: