1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reversed Exif GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mick / Lumix, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    I seems that I am not the only GF1 user who has "reversed" Exif.

I set the camera to standard saturation and + 2 sharpness.

When I read the Exif it says + 2 saturation and standard sharpness... the complete opposite !

Another user tells me his Exif swops sharpness and contrast settings.

Does anyone know how this can happen ? The camera works fine, its just this reversed read out that is strange.

Flickr: mick / Lumix's Photostream

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I questioned my crystal orb (I quited reading sacrificed animals entrails a while ago under intense PETA pressure), and one possible explanation would be that EXIF is a poor standard.

Some tags are well defined, but some others pertaining to camera processing are lumped together in the so called MakerNotes exif section, and they are neither published nor registred in a consistent manner between camera makers.

Understanding the MakerNotes from all manufacturers is therefore a wild guess at best, and depending on the software you're using, some mix up may happen.

Now, if you're using the software shipped with the camera, this shouldn't happen and you may want to ask panasonic about it. But if you're relying on a 3rd party software, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    mauve, thanks for that. I do not use any software. I remove the card and put it in the SD slot on the Macbook Pro. Never noticed any problem with my G1 Exif, only the GF1 plays up. I can understand what you are saying and thank you for that. As the camera is working fine I think I will leave it at that.

4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My GF1 is fine

I just checked my GF1 that has version 1.1 firmware loaded. The EXIF data for both sharpness and saturation are associated correctly. I also checked the data with three different programs that read EXIF data. My favorite is PhotoME.

What software are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks for that. I do not have any software, the memory card goes in to the SD slot in the MacBook Pro. The problem is only with the GF1 and not my G1. My camera mixes sharpness with saturation. Someone of Flickr said his GF1 mixes sharpness with contrast. It does not seem to be a consistent problem with GF1's.

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Well, 'no software' in your case is really "I'm using whatever ships embedded within the guts of Mac OS X". I won't comment on that as I don't use that system, so i don't know what they based their exif reader on. You might try another 3rd party reader to see if your problem is bound to the Mac OS operating system or depends really on your camera. Look for exiftool, or there are also browser plugins that extend your browser's capabilities.

Cheers,

7. Wasabi Bob

Try PhotoME

Download a copy of PhotoME
    It's a great EXIF program, and best of all - it's FREE!
    Google it for the link

8. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes I meant no purchased software, only whats in the Mac. If its the Mac at fault then why does it not happen with the G1 ? it does seem strange and another GF1 user has the same fault. Not that the "fault" is causing any problem, it just odd. I will try the Photo Me later today. Thanks for replies.

9. Wasabi Bob

Mac

What program in the Mac?

10. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Snow Leopard 10.5.8, not that I have much understanding of computers !

11. Wasabi Bob

Which application under Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard is the version of the Mac OS. What program did you use to read the EXIF data?

12. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    The Mac has iphoto built in as standard, do not have any other programs.

13. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Just checked. Its iphoto 09 version 8.1.2. hope that helps.

14. bubzz

bubzz Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2011
    London, U.K.
    Snow Leopard is 10.6.x
    10.5.8 is Leopard...

Regards,
    bubzz

15. PhotoME provides the most comprehensive exif data I have seen, maybe sometimes a bit too comprehensive :smile:. You can even use it to read the shutter count on some model cameras. I think Pentax was one of them.

16. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Will this explain the odd Exif ?

17. Wasabi Bob

No Problem Found

This weekend I was able to check photos from BOTH GF1 and GF2 on under Mac Snow Lepord. My machine has the latest updates of the OS, CS5, Lighroom and several Mac programs.

All show the EXIF data correctly. Though I cannot verify it, my suspicion is that the age of the OS on your machine and the dated copies of the software may be reporting the EXIF data incorrectly.

Updates, especially for RAW formats seem to lag each camera's release. So at very lease, see if updates are available for all the software on your Mac.
    Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your GF1.

I wish I could give you a definitive conclusion, but from here I see no problem.

18. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    The Mac was purchased nearly one year ago and has the latest updates. I never use RAW. The GF1, I think is 1.1, and no updates are available. Thanks for your efforts. The camera works well and the Mac shows the photos well, as you expect from a Mac ! as the only slight problem is 2 items mixed up in the Exif its not a lot to worry about. Once again thanks for your efforts.

19. Wasabi Bob

How about updating the program version?

Hmm, I'm confused. In a previous post you mentioned that your Mac was using 10.5.8 and iPhoto 09. That is not the latest versions of Snow Lepord as was also mentioned by someone else, and the same for iPhoto.

You probably have the latest updates for the versions you are using, but not the latest versions of those programs.

The "issue" might be the upgrade to Snow Lepord itself. I'm very new to the Mac OS, but I do know that I'm using the latest version if iLife 11 / Aperture / CS5 / Lightroom. I also recall at least three updates for iPhoto and Aperture that fixed minor problems with Lumix caneras.

As you say, it's not a big deal - but it would bug the heck out of me! Very sorry I can't be of more assistance.