Reversed adapted Nikkors

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Kaiser, May 8, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    I.m waiting for my Metabones F mount adapter to arrive and just wondering if anyone has tried reversing an adapted prime lens for some greater than 1:1 macro work?

I used to do this with my Nikon D700- using a Nikon reversing ring, which effectively put an F mount on the front filter thread of your lens. You would then mount the lens reversed and have some limited macro ability. It was very difficult on the D700 due to a very dim viewfinder and ultra thin DoF.

I thought maybe the EM-1 might prove better with auto gain EVF and offering more DoF? Worth a try for curiosity's sake anyway.

I will be adapting a Nikkor 28 2.8 ais, which (in its proper mounting orientation) is already well regsrded for its performance at MFD.

Certainly not replacing the cheap and well regarded Oly 60 macro for use , but it will be interesting to see the results.
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I always thought the mount became more or less irrelevant with reversed lenses. You can get µ4/3 reversing mounts, using a nikon reversing mount on a nikon-µ4/3 adapter will give effectively an extension tube in the middle giving higher magnification than direct mounting, but otherwise no difference.