Returning the OMD :(((

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retro, Nov 2, 2012.

1. retro

retro New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2011
    As much as I love the output from this camera, I have decided to sent it back to Amazon. There are a couple of issues I just could not live with, though it's purely subjective:

1) The camera just feels terrible in hand. I know I could added the grip, but to me that just defeats the purpose of having a small body (plus looks ugly IMHO). My hands are too big. My SLR just feels so comfortable by comparison. It's strange, but I rather have the weight of an SLR over the metallic boxy feeling of the OMD. I couldn't connect with this camera out in the field, it felt awkward.

2) Controls. I don't know why, but find myself accidentally changes settings too often without knowing. It's a problem that does not happen with my SLRs. Olympus is too deep when you need to change things on the fly (yes I am familiar with the super control panel and other features). The tiny buttons do not always respond to a push either.

3) EVF. I really wasn't impressed with the EVF. The LCD is stunning. The EVF looks pretty bad IMHO. It feels tight, almost tunnel like.

I think the OMD is absolutely beautiful. Output is amazing, but at the end of the day I am just not "clicking" with the body. I just miss the feel of an SLR and can't get past the tiny buttons and ergonomics.

2. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    It works for some folks and not others. Sorry it didn't work for you. Works for me, but my hands are probably smaller. I do use the grip and could not like the camera without it.

3. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    So I guess someone is going to buy a new camera and get a used one instead.
    Or does amazon send them back to Olympus to be refurbished?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Amazon resells a lot of merchandise under "Amazon Warehouse Deals", which you'll see listed often as a "third party" seller.

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Huh?

6. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    He meant the OM-D looks good by itself but ugly with the grip attached. I actually like mine with the full grip though.

And if youre disappointed in the EVF you probably wont like any EVF out on the market right now

7. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    Oh is that what happens?
    I always wondered. The return policy is great for the original buyer but I couldn't figure out what happens to electronics that are returned after being used. Interesting that Amazon would take a hit on selling it at used prices.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am sure it is calculated...as in the warehouse deal pricing still gets them more money than returning it to the distributor.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry the OM-D didn't work out for you. I would suggest that you stick around and check out something bigger in m4/3, like the GH3, but I am guessing that electronic viewfinders may be a deal breaker for you? Compared to other EVFs I have used, including the one in my NEX-7, I think the Olympus is the best of the bunch. Good color, contrast, refresh rate and I like the eye cup. I know it is just not the same as using a optical viewfinder, but I like the EVF real-time display goodies like the histrogram/blinkies.

I know the size of the OM-D is a compromise, but I have been able to adapt to the ergonomics, love the twin dials, and I appreciate the fact that it still goes in a jacket pocket with a pancake mounted.

Oh, and I blame Joe/Livinius for this idea, but I am receiving my second OM-D body today! I am probably going to sell off my NEX-7 to fund this one... just realized that I can get more utility out of having two bodies in the field given the m4/3 lenses I have.

10. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    While I think you should get the system that fits/works best for you, I must say I have not/do not experience any of the issues you mention except for the grip being a tad too small (the hump on the front should rise slightly more).

I think that since you have apparently worked with an SLR so much, this system really will feel foreign to you and the trade offs for a smaller system need to outweigh the ergonomics and small (yet apparently significant to some) compromises.

11. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the OM-D. Like you, when I first obtained mine (after a VERY long waiting period), I was underwhelmed with the ergonomics and EVF. Like many new acquisitions however, over time and persistence in familiarizing myself with the camera and its new-to-me layout, I have definitely become a fan and I prefer shooting with the OM-D system over my FX Nikons, Leica M's, etc (all of which I've been shooting with for decades).

As for the EVF, well, again, for me, it took some getting used to. That said, I find it to be extremely accurate (and bearing in mind that what one is viewing in the EVF comes directly from the lens -- as opposed to via a mirror or a rangefinder) it makes for a powerful argument in favor of this newish technology.

Okay, blah blah blah... just thought I'd offer up my two cents... Hope you find a happy medium that tickles your fancy! Good luck.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Individual preferences and needs vary - sorry that didn't work out. In spite of the fact that I still use/prefer/need my Nikon DSLRs for some situations, I am totally sold on m4/3 for most uses. I hope you'll find something that works for you.

13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi

Hi ..
    Sorry to hear that it didn't work for u. As others said , OMD takes some time to grow on you but I agree that If you don't bond with the camera , it's pointłess to keep it.Get something which suits your hands . GH3 will be fun as body and controls are nicely laid out.OMD is like hatchback and GH3 like a Sedan in MFT lol lol ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I know how you feel. My path was different.
    Like you I have a dslr system.
    I bought a NEX5 and 2 zoom lenses...didn't use them.
    Sold them to get an OMD with kit zoom. (Confess I'm confused about moderate tele-zoom choices; my next purchase)
    I have bought the Oly grip. I prefer the feel of the camera with grip attached; every time I take it out, I eat crow (told my wife I liked the small Oly without grip, because it was so capable and small.) every time she sees it with the grip.

We have small sportscars; there's not a lot of room within, and I truly like a small system. Used to be Leica rangefinders...

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    like the others have said. You sound like a perfect candidate for the GH3. You'll still save a lot of size and weight onthe lenses but you'll get the handling you need.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It might be worth checking out the G5 if you can find one nearby.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't mean to sound patronizing, but to be honest... when I look at your list of reasons I know you're going to go back to your DSLR and eventually come back to us after spending more money to re-purchase another :43: camera. Seen it happen too many times, and your reasons simply aren't strong enough to suggest you won't be one of those. You probably haven't given the camera enough time to get used to it, while DSLRs are old technology which is fading away. I know they're tough to let go of after using them for so long, but eventually you have to move on. Maybe looking at a larger :43: body as suggested by others may be a good option for you. Let's you step down gradually. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. retro

retro New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2011
    I am on the fence

I had it packaged up and scheduled UPS pickup. This evening in low light I tried shooting kids with my SLR. No IBS, no nice high ISO, no face detection - basically no pictures. I opened the OMD up and excellent pictures resumed again, I think my wife thinks I'm nuts as I keep changing my mind....

• Like Like x 1
  19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    It's possible the OM-D is not for you, speaking of the format of the camera. That's fine; but make sure you (a) have given it enough time and (b) you are informed as perfectly as one can be on the pros and cons of choosing the OM-D over any other camera, mirrorless or SLR.

I have accustomed myself (as others have done) to the OM-D, meaning basically its small size and tiny buttons, in a matter of days, and that is coming from much larger SLR cameras. But this is just a personal experience, it may not apply to you. That said, if smaller, non SLR format cameras get in the way of your photography, perhaps even cameras like the NEX or even the Leica are out of the question, so it's not really a matter of one camera being "better" than another. As a final note, I don't think you'll find a "non-tunnel like" OVF in any APS-C sensor DSLR, and IIRC they all have less than 100% coverage (with the exception of Pentax).

20. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Curious what slr you are used to or have ?

I know even going from canon to nikon can be a new experience :)

And true if the omd does not work lots of great choices