Returning the Olympus 14-150 micro 4/3

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
You may have a dud unit. When you take it back, take you camera with you and try out another sample (assuming you got it from a shopfront).

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
IMHO, ANY lens on a EPL1 focuses unacceptably slow, and why I got a GF1. Have you done the firmware update that increase AF speed? Do you have the most recent firmware for the lens?

x2 for trying a different one, or the panasonic version, but if you have an Oly body, I think you have to understand that AF speed is going to be one of your challenges.

shoturtle

the 14-150 is slower then the panny 14-140hd. But the 50-150 is very fast. So you really can not say that the oly is slow as a whole. There are some faster and slower AF lenses.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Correct, but currently, they will always be slower on an Oly body than they will on a Panny body, and it SEEMS that, currently, the Panasonic version of the lens will be faster than the Olympus version, so putting an Olympus lens on an Olympus body is about the slowest the AF will be.

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes...I did the firmware upgrade...

My 20mm f/1.7 focuses faster. I really love it.

Yes...focusing can be iffy with the e-pl1, even if you use a smaller focus box. It's finicky, but I still love it because of the beautiful images it produces.

Isabel

IMHO, ANY lens on a EPL1 focuses unacceptably slow, and why I got a GF1. Have you done the firmware update that increase AF speed? Do you have the most recent firmware for the lens?

x2 for trying a different one, or the panasonic version, but if you have an Oly body, I think you have to understand that AF speed is going to be one of your challenges.

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think it depends on the complexity of the scene...

I found that even using a smaller focus box it would either refuse to focus on my subject, or choose something else to focus on.

I haven't had the lens very long and had some rainy weather so I couldn't check it outside in brighter light until today when the sun came out.

I was trying to follow my dog outside and he was often in a different position from what I wanted because it took so long to focus on him. I track the continous tracking and just wouldn't put the focus box where I aimed it.

Isabel

It's subjective, I know, but fwiw I didn't find the Oly 14-150 to be a slow focuser (tested on an E-PL1).

shoturtle

I would totally disagree, the oly 40-150 will out focus the panny 45-200. I have a 45-200, and the 40-150 is faster. So again, you can not say the oly body and a oly lens will always be slower.

Correct, but currently, they will always be slower on an Oly body than they will on a Panny body, and it SEEMS that, currently, the Panasonic version of the lens will be faster than the Olympus version, so putting an Olympus lens on an Olympus body is about the slowest the AF will be.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I didn't say compare any oly lens to any panny lens, I said compare the oly and panny versions of the same lens.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I was trying to follow my dog outside and he was often in a different position from what I wanted because it took so long to focus on him. I track the continous tracking and just wouldn't put the focus box where I aimed it.

Get a slower dog?

shoturtle

Your assertion that oly with oly lenses are always slower. I rather not generalized. Not to many reports of panny bodies with the newer oly lens compare to oly bodies with new oly lenses. That just tells me that it is just assumption. We all know the first gen oly lenses were slow, even oly admitted to that at an interview. But the new lenses and the firmware has really sped up the AF with the oly.

I didn't say compare any oly lens to any panny lens, I said compare the oly and panny versions of the same lens.

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This sentence certainly didn't make sense! :)

In the following quote from my original post I meant "tried" the tracking...not "track" the tracking and misspelled "continuous". Not a good day yesterday!

"I was trying to follow my dog outside and he was often in a different position from what I wanted because it took so long to focus on him. I track the continous tracking and just wouldn't put the focus box where I aimed it."

Then when I packed up the lens to return it to Amazon I left out the registration and instruction cards. I emailed Amazon about how to return those to them and they told me not to worry and have ALREADY processed the refund. What a great place to deal with.

Wish I could have liked the 14-150!

Isabel

Isabel, that makes sense. Back it goes!

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
so it's not being replaced just simply returned?

I'm sorry it was a hassle for you. I've heard a lot of good things about this lens and was hoping for a little better myself. Hope the next lens you get is better for you :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom