1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Returning Sony RX10

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave Jenkins, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

After reading some glowing reviews of the Sony RX10, I bought one in as-new condition, open-box sale. It is a lovely camera in many ways, but when I tested it against my Canon 6D and Olympus EM-5, I got some disappointing results.

To make things as fair as possible, both the 6D and the EM-5 sported zoom lenses, since that's what comes on the Sony. ISO was 200, the lenses were set to 50mm equivalent, with an aperture of f8 on the Canon and apertures to give equivalent depth of field on the other cameras. The Canon had a garden-variety 28-105mm lens, although mine is a very sharp copy, and the EM-5 was wearing the Panasonic 14-140 II.

All shots were of a brick wall with signs, my favorite test subject, in bright sunlight so shutter speeds were high. Examining the frames at 100%, the EM-5 was not quite as good as the Canon, but still held up surprisingly well in comparison. The Sony shots, however, were quite noticeably less sharp and contrasty than the EM-5 shots.

Conclusion: It's going back to the seller. Maybe it's just a bad copy, but I don't think I'll get another one.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

F8 on 20mp sensor of that size is well into diffraction territory and not needed for DOF. I might try a comparison with the Sony at f4, the Olympus at f5.6 and the Canon at f11 for similar DOF and all just below diffraction cutoff.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You beat me to the punch, Dave. I saw your post on Kirk's blog and was going to ask you what you thought of the Sony. Sorry to hear that it did not work out. I do have to say though that the images posted by Kirk looked quite nice. I was almost tempted, but I have too many cameras as it is.

--Ken

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Sometimes you have to read all the words.

5. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Pictorial images look very nice indeed, but if the camera doesn't do as well as my EM-5s when you get down to the nitty-gritty, I don't need it. If I'm going to carry a third camera (which will only reside in my car most of the time), it might as well be my 6D with it's vastly superior image quality and a weight, with 28-105 lens, of only a half-pound more.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sounds as though you had some unrealistic expectations for the 1" sensor and didn't really need the zoom range.