Returning my second E-P3 for the same problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Empireme, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Like the title says, I'm returning a second problem due to LCD issues. It only occurs at my work, where I plan to take majority of my pictures. (I own a day care center.)

The problem is the LCD shows two very distinct lines when the camera is turned on. However, if I take a picture and look at it, the two lines aren't visible. This only occurs at my work and nowhere else.

I may just jump ship to the Panasonic G3. Does anyone else have the same issue? I have a picture of the problem, but I don't know how to put it up on this post...
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

If it only occurs at work it might be the lights at your work place somehow doing something weird only your live view picks up on. :confused:
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I agree - it is likely a problem of the color temperature of the lights which the lcd can't correct for. White balance is probably making the correction in the photo itself, but the lcd can't account for it. good chance it'll happen with the g3 as well I would think.
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

If you have the pic on your computer in a down rezed size go to the gallery on this site, up load it, copy the address of the newly loaded pic from the little box near the bottom, go to the forum of your choice, start a new thread, click on the little yellow box with the mountain, enter the copied address. Make sure http:/ is not in there twice. Preview your post to make sure the image loaded. Submit your post.
  5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Hey Scott, got the picture uploaded for you here.

Attached Files:

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    LED screens d weird things under plarized light. might want t check it ut r that.

damn. think my keybard is brken. :(
  7. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Thanks, Twan!

I'm going to try for a third time and see if it happens again. My thought is if my camera phone can handle it along with point and shoots why can't this thousand dollar equipment?
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd like to buy a vowel. Can I buy an "O"?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Another thing...

That picture is taken with the 20mm 1.7 It also occurs with the kit lens, but the lines aren't so visible until I purposely over expose it... in which case it looks the same.
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    and are they always in the same spot on your screen? That sure is odd.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    looks like the result of a high shutter speed freezing the electric pulse of a fluorescent light.
  12. alphasierra

alphasierra Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Are they fluoro lights? What country are you in - and what frequency is the AC power? I think the light output from fluorescent light source is not truly constant - varies at 2xfrequency. So, if you're 50Hz, you'll have a subtle 100Hz flicker in your light.

The second half of my question is, do you know what the refresh rate of the EP3 screen is? And are the frames read from the sensor line by line (progressively)?

What I'm thinking is that, the picture you showed doesn't look like yellow lines - it looks like a white 'peak' fading into a yellow 'trough' then back to another 'peak' and another 'trough'. Basically, a sine wave, with the light flickering at twice the frequency of your screen refresh.

As far as why other cams don't do it - you'd only notice if your screen was almost exactly matched (or whole multiple) of light frequency. If your power was at 50Hz, and screen at 60Hz, the bands would move in each frame, and you'd never see it (maybe, with sharp eyes you'd see moving bands).

Edit: Just tried an experiment with my phone cam - my office has 4 fluoro lights. If I point it at the wall, nothing noticeable happens (probably lights cancel out, or wrong frequency). But, if I point it straight at one of the lights, I see moving dark/yellowish bands very similar to what you're showing. I think your screen might be fine, and it's just the laws of physics messing with you!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    + 1 for the refresh rate. Don't worry, be happy instead ;-)
  14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I'm also quite sure it's the refresh rate of the camera screen versus flickering fluorecent lamp that makes those lines appear in live view. The colour change is due to the slightly variable colour balance of a tube lamp.
  15. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I went out of town for work so I didn't have any time to respond. But after reading the previous posts, I decided to turn off the lights and turn on my camera inside my work. And the two lines weren't there. And after I turn on the lights, it came back. Then I pointed my camera at the lights and the screen went crazy. I think Alphasierra was absolutely correct. By the way, I'm located in Los Angeles, CA.

I'm still a little bit on the fence about returning the camera for a Panasonic.
  16. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    As much as I love my EP3, I think you should return yours.

You bought the camera to use at your primary location. Unfortunately it is not compatible with the lighting environment. So either you learn to live with it or get a different camera.

Just make sure your new camera doesn't have the same issue. :tongue:
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I think it is a firmware issue with the E-P3, which cannot be fixed until they update the firmware (hopefully). I experience the same thing when taking pictures under flourescent lights, which, although doesn't affect the pictures taken, is quite annoying to look at. However, if I leave the camera on for a while, the flickering goes away, as if the camera has eventually found a way to cope with the lighting environment...

In spite of this nuisance, I still love my E-P3 for its size, built quality, and IQ, especially when cranking out jpegs directly...
  18. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    Gotta be the lights, or some other electro-whatever interference... Not the camera...
  19. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 on the florescent lights. i thought my e-p2 screen was broken, but it's just the florescent light in my room.
  20. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Why would you think it's an issue if it only happens at one location? Isn't that a bit odd to you?

It happens on my E-PL2 and GF1 as well, specifically, in my basement with fluorescent lighting.