Returned a gf1: Can I unring this bell?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by blb, Aug 24, 2011.

1. blb

blb Guest

Last fall I capitalized on an Amazon special on the gf1 with the 20mm. Not used to shooting without an optical viewfinder, I returned it for the G1. I've spent the last 6 months regretting that move as I loved the form factor of the gf1. Now it seems that i can find nearly any older model camera, at good prices, except for the gf1 - with or without the desired 20mm. Does anyone know if, or from where, new ones are available?

2. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    New ones? Probably not. There have been gently used ones popping up here.

I've bean toying with the idea of putting mine up and I've been gentle with it. :biggrin:
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011

It may be unreasonable, but I'm sure they are available at, demos still available...listed as gf1 and 20mm for $700 plus tax and shipping at Calgary, Alberta, Canada and 750 at Toronto location. I'd assume full warranty as well. Good luck with your search.
  5. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Here in my country the last stocks of new GF1s are still available at $650 with 20mm lens and $600 with 14-45mm lens
  6. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    A camera seller near me has one used in good shape + 14-42 at 330 euros if you're intrested.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  7. blb

blb Guest

a or b?

I opened this thread... I've been following the recommended leads and have a question... Used gf1 or new gf2. I'm leaning new. I've been surprised by how quickly I've adapted to touchscreens on other "tools" and am now not put off by this on the 2. Everything else should be at least as good, true?
  8. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    blb... the GF2 is a totally different animal than the GF1. A lot of folks would much prefer the used GF1 over the new GF2. They're both excellent cameras, though. You just need to study the differences more to make the right choice for your needs. Google search will help a lot.
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The GF2 is a very capable camera with the same sensor as the GF1, better HD video (1080), as I understand it is a bit faster operation and with a bit better AF. It can also be found readily at bargain prices. I cannot think of anything the GF1 can do that the GF2 cannot (although I haven't played with a GF1 in quite a while). As far as the touch screen takes some getting used to. Once I did I found it very nice to use. My main complaint about the GF2 (and it applies to the GF1 as well) is that I prefer using an EVF to the LCD. But, if what you want is a very capable small camera the GF2 is a really great and I think often overlooked option.
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    GF3 is another to consider. The low ISO IQ from them all will be pretty comparable. At higher ISO, there will be more differences. Each of the GF- models offers something different in terms of functionality, user interface, etc. Which one is the best choice for you will depend on which feature set is more suitable to how you want to use the camera.