returned a E-P5 b/c blackout when focusing... now EM10 vs. EPL7

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by balzacsofia, May 1, 2015.

1. balzacsofia

balzacsofia New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2015
    new york city
    I just returned a used Oly E-P5 (which I got for only $460) because when I half-clicked the shutter to focus my PL 25 1.4 the screen would black out before focusing. I don't know if that's supposed to take place but it was highly undesirable.

Now I'm scared to get another one used for fear this will happen again and that I'll be stuck with a warranty-less camera, so I'm having to adjust my price point to get either a new EM10 ($599) or a new EPL7 ($499) because the full price with warranty of the EP5 is a bit steep ($799).

I used to shoot landscapes with a Canon AE-1 Program, so I enjoy the SLR feel and control dials, so I'm thinking the EPL7 will feel too point and shooty with only one control dial.

However the EM10 is so small in a way that my hands feel like I'm holding a mini camera and it's a bit awkward with the PL prime lenses I'd like to use on it. Does anyone with longer fingers have experience shooting the EM10 with the grip and the heavier 4/3 prime lenses and can say anything positive or negative about this combo?

Also, has anyone mounted the EVF-4 on the EM10? I know another EVF is not necessary with this camera, but it's just such a better EVF!
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ... EVF-4 is not compatible with the M-10 ......
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd try to find another E-P5. It sounds more like what you want. The E-M10 isn't really any bigger than the E-PL7, just taller to support a viewfinder.

You can get refurbished E-P5 from Olympus Store for $559 body only or $839 including the VF4 and the 17mm f1.8, so that's a pretty good deal. You get a 90 day warranty, so beats used.

Another option, is the Panasonic GX7. It doesn't have a viewfinder as nice as the VF-4, but the camera is similar in size to the E-P5 with a little meatier grip. Feature wise, it is an outstanding camera. Loads of dials and external controls. Easy to shoot for a manual shooter. They are mid $500s new, body only. Personally, I went with the GX7.
  4. balzacsofia

balzacsofia New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2015
    new york city
    Thanks for the tips, tkbslc. I looked on the GX7 image thread and did some review searching, and it's interesting the white balance seems to show the lighting of various scenes more naturally. Looks like Panasonic is discontinuing the model so prices will keep dropping?
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
  6. balzacsofia

balzacsofia New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2015
    new york city
    wow, thanks gryphon1911! Their lens pricing is very competitive as well...

has anyone else experienced that flickering out before on the E-P5, or any other M4/3 camera?
  7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hurm, the only thing I've seen similar to that is the lens momentarily disconnecting from the camera body, which I can make my 60mm do sometimes on the PM2 - where I'm guessing either there is flex in the mount itself or a contact or two are a bit grotty between them. If the focus motor vibrates the lens so that the contacts aren't in place properly that could blank the screen out.
  8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Nope. Been using an EP5 for two years.