Return to M43

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Richella, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    So I've just pulled the trigger on a new M43 kit. This is return to M43 for me. I had an EP3 +12mm+45mm last year but sold everything because I was disappointed with the hi iOS performance of the EP3. I loved the olympus feel though and carried it more places than my dslr.

However one year later I've decided I'm tired of lugging my D3s around so I sold the D3s body only. I've key all my nikon f2.8 lenses in case I decide to return to my nikon dslr kit.

With the funds from the sale of the D3s I've purchased the following

OMD + 12-50mm kit lens
    Oly 40-150mm (only $99 with the OMD,it from BHPhoto)
    Panasonic 25mm f1.4
    Oly 12mm f2
    Oly 45mm f1.8
    Pelican 1200 case to keep it all dry in malaysia
    Double 16 GB sandisk card kit

All of this and still have $700 left from the sale of the D3s body. When I look at the above I'm amazed I can get all of this for the price of a single pro dslr body. I may use the remaining funds for a panasonic 7-14mm.

Can't wait to get my hands on it and start getting back into photography with a small light weir kit I actually want to carry around.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome back!

3. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    The prodigal son :biggrin:

4. Philipcs

Philipcs Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Philip Pang
    Are you Malaysian? I am from malaysia too.

I sold all my D7000 and lenses too to get OMD kit + panny 25mm!

No regret! :)

5. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    No, not Malaysian. I'm Scottish and have been living in KL for last 2.5 years. I really love it here. One of the best countries I've lived in. DOn't get out to do as much photography as I would like to.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome back to the m4/3 community! You have a great set of lenses to start with.

In regard to the 7-14, while it is a magnificent lens, you might not find it totally compatible with the E-M5. There are ghastly flares and reflections on images taken with this combination that is not as prominent when taken with other cameras. The Olympus 9-18, although not as wide, might work better with the E-M5.

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I can confirm this. By all means try it yourself, but I found the purple blotches made the 7-14 simply unusable on the E-M5.

The 9-18 is fine, an excellent lens.

8. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks for the information. I had read a little about this on other sites. I'm in no rush to add any more lenses at this time. It think I've covered all my needs for now but I'm sure it won't be long before I'm suffering more G.A.S and succumb to the 75mm f1.8.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

9. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Lucky so and so....er I mean howdo?

Firstly buy an adapter so you can mount your lovely Nikon glass to your OMD. You're welcome.

10. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks for the warm sentiments :biggrin:

Lucky yes, but I had to agonise over the decision to sell my Nikon D3s to go M43. The D3s was the best camera I've ever owned but at the end of the day it spent too much time at home in my dry cabinet. I'm hoping that the OMD is a take everywhere camera.

Actually, what I really want is aPEN version of the OMD with the same sensor and EVF. I'll be gutted if Olympus release an EP5 that has all this in the next couple of months.

11. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Rich, if you're interested in a 75mm there's one on Ebay starting at $799 with a Make an Offer on it. The seller accepted an offer below $750 just now and he has one more to sell!