Return of the prodigal Pen friend

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldenlight, Sep 21, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I'm afraid I haven't been around much lately, although I have dropped in briefly from time to time to get a flavour of what's happening. The problem was that I just wasn't happy with my G1 (problems, for the most, on my part, not the camera) and eventually stopped using it.

However, my attraction to the concept of the format remained and when I recently sold my entire Bronica ETRS1 kit for a pittance I resolved to invest the funds in another :43: camera.

Enter my new friend, an E-PL1, which I've bought second hand complete with 14-42mm and Panny 20mm. It arrived today and the body and both lenses are pristine. the battery was charged just enough for me to have a play. I scrolled through the menus remarkably quickly, making changes to suit my own preferences as I went. It all seemed remarkably logical (helped, no doubt, by my experience with the E-System) and I didn't need the manual - although there are a couple of minor points I need to check later.

Unfortunately the battery died before I was able to take more than a couple of test shots of my desk and it is now on charge. Must get a spare.

So far, assuming the IQ matches expectations, I am very pleased. The camera has obviously had very little use and, with the 20mm f1.7, it fits snugly in a very old Camera Care Systems (are they still going?) pouch that I used for my Olympus 35RC film compact. The pouch is very well padded despite being extremely small and fits unobtrusively on a waist belt. If only I'd had this camera when I used to go peak bagging and travel extremely light!

The 14-42mm kit lens is diminuitive but the 20mm takes miniaturization to a whole new level. I am concerned that my clumsy fingers will stray all to easily onto the unprotected front element but luckily I have a spare 46mm UV filter, which is now fitted.

Now all I have to do is wait for the battery to charge and go take some pictures. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

John, wonderful to see you here and hear the good news!:biggrin: I know I am not alone in being glad to see you back. I'm really looking forward to hearing how you like your E-PL1 and to seeing some of your photos, which I already know are going to be great.
  3. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks BB, I wish I was as confident of that as you! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I have exactly the same setup and I can tell you, I'm loving it. I've been a Canon DSLR user for many years and the EPL1 is just amazing. Have fun!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We'll have to shout a big party for the prodigal son! Good onya for keeping the mu43 thing going.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ahhhh John,
    We knew you wouldn't stray for long....
    Welcome home, we kept the light on for ya...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just ordered a 46mm rubber lens hood from B & H

...mainly to help me keep my fingers off the lens (actually uv filter). I haven't had any problems with flare outside without a hood.

8. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi Isabel,

Yes, that is next on my list. I find a hood is invaluable for protecting against knocks and scrapes - and clumsy fingers!

Thanks everyone for the welcome back! :smile:
  9. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Welcome back! Checked out your site, and I love your landscape work especially!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The PL1 is a little gem great IQ and the 14-42 is quite underrated the 20mm is of course a legend :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Welcome back!
    • Like Like x 1