1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Return E-pl2 for T2i?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by typerlover, May 1, 2011.

1. typerlover

typerlover New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2011
    So I've found out that you can get a refurbished T2i off the Xanon website for ~550 with the kit lens or ~475 for the body only.

That is less than what I paid for my e-pl2, and I'm wondering if this might not be worth returning the Olympus and picking up the Canon. Other than size, I feel like it will be an upgrade in every way.

Any thoughts?

2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    the biggest advantage of m4/3 is size (and maybe the cool factor :wink: ) If size don't matter, a DSLR is better. Another advantages are the possibility to use a lot of legacy lenses and the video options (in the case of GH2).

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you want a camera for action shooting, and even better low light shooting. The canon t2i offers that.

They are different animals. So do not want to carry a camera with that much sized t2i all the time. And want a more compact system. I was out with my friends who where visiting NYC, and they have a t2i, and leave it at the hotel 1/2 the time. There are times they want to just a smaller option. And give up on IQ and low light for high end point and shoot.

I have a t1i and 60d and a epl-1. And the epl-1 is my main travel camera system. As I want to keep down weight with all the lenses I have. For travel stuff and general stuff it is a great system. The dslr's comes out when I shoot action, long exposures and very low light stuff, or when I want to go birding.

The canon refreb are very good, I go that route for some of my lens purchases. Just know you only get a 90 day warranty on them.

4. hellomrmoon

hellomrmoon Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    California
    If you have an old Canon that no longer works or you do not use, I would suggest purchasing the T2i through the Canon Loyalty Program. You basically trade in your useless Canon and receive 20% off on refurbs. Purchased a G10 this way and had no problems with it.

Here's their number for reference: (866)-443-8002

As far as T2i vs E-PL2, I would say it really depends on size and what you already have. If you already have a DSLR system, then keep the E-PL2. If this is your only system, and you don't mind carrying something a bit bigger, then I would suggest trading to the T2i. It's a step up in many ways, but you lose the small form factor, of course.

With Canon you also have a good range of legacy lenses that you can easily adapt as well, if that's your cup of tea.

EDIT: Just checked and the T2i kit is $512 via Canon Loyalty

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The mirrorless cameras can also use the LCD for framing and shooting more easily than a DSLR. The NEX is better than an EP2, but the EP2 is better than any DSLRs. DSLRs do have "live view" but AF in live view is very poor. This comes into play if you like to shoot odd vantage points, say, low to the ground or above your head.

Micro cameras are also a lot less intrusive in many ways than DSLRs. People don't feel like your rudely taking their picture with a smaller camera (generally speaking). Framing with an LCD allows you to interact with the subject better in some ways, though not everyone like framing with an LCD.

DSLRs will (generally) AF quicker than mirrorless. They will also better AF on an isolated figure at the end of telephoto shot BUT DSLRs are also prone to front/back focus in a way that mirrorless cameras aren't.

In short, there are more trade-offs than just size, though size is a primary driver to look at the system.

T2i is a good camera, if you plan on shooting eye-level reasonable fast action, then I'd say a DSLR is something you should seriously consider getting, and the T2i is a very good, compact DSLR. Canon has a nice range of affordable lenses, too (85/1.8, 50/1.8, 55-250, 70-200/F4, etc.)

Can you share in what ways you find your EP2 coming up short? That could better inform any reply comments.

6. brian watkins

brian watkins Mu-43 Rookie

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's true! Is the AF in live view better than with other DSLRs with live view?

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Harumph! :mad:
    Our Olympus e-600 autofocuses rather excellently and swiftly in live-view.

9. jjholmes

jjholmes  

May 8, 2011
    Central Florida
    Oly DSLR Live focusing

the DSLR live AF is abysmally slow when not used with CDAF lenses, of which there are very, very few. If live view AF is important to you then the only options are mirror less and p&s for speed.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    My E-PL2 & DSLR both co-exist peacefully.....:smile:
    As others have said before, I use my DSLR for action shots (my kids soccer, baseball, basketball games, etc)....I also use my DSLR for airshow photography....

However, my all-around workhorse is my E-PL2....great for family trips to theme parks, etcetera..:smile:

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My Canon 1 series is better than my m43 in most aspects... except size. Guess which system sees more use daily?

It is a decision only you can make.

12. If I was forced to choose one way or another, I would go back to my roots and say that I was primarily a Canon DSLR shooter. However, here is much to be said for the small size and shear fun of a Micro 4/3 system and I currently spend more time using my E-P1 than I do my Canons. There is definitely truth to the idea that you will carry a smaller camera with you more often than larger one.

13. sanjosesnk

sanjosesnk New to Mu-43

May 10, 2011
    thats a good deal, if video is your primary reason to change.....then i would go with t2i

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The T2i is superior in most aspects to the E-Pl2:

Size - Physically, the Oly is significant smaller and lenses are smaller than the Canon. There is a big difference between carrying around a T2i w/ a Canon 100-400 at the zoo all day than an E-PL2 with a Zuiko 40-150.

Sensor IQ - The Canon's APS-C sensor is approx. 25% larger, and delivers better IQ than the Oly's µ4/3 sensor. At elevated ISO (800+), the difference is significant.

Camera System - When you buy an interchangeable lens camera, you are buying into a lens system. Canon has significantly more lenses (both zooms and primes) and faster lenses to choose than Oly. The Canon glass will generally cost more than the Oly glass.

Autofocus - The T2i will focus faster than the Oly.

Action - T2i = 3.7FPS vs. E-PL2 = 3.04FPS

Mobility Factor - The E-PL2 is significantly easier to haul around. For everyday shooting the Oly is a camera you would grab without thinking. The Canon will having you thinking ... "Do I really need to take a camera ...?". For everyday shooting at ISO's of 400 and less ... the average person will not see any difference in IQ between the APS-C and µ4/3.

All-in-all the T2i will out perform the E-PL2. I really boils down to what you plan to shoot and the photographic expectations you have set. If you plan on shooting in areas which pushes the photographic capabilities of any camera, i.e. action/sports/birding, low light, et cetera, then you would be better served by the T2i. For shooting less then extreme, the Oly is quite a good camera and you won't see a significant difference between the Canon image(s) and the Oly image(s).

If you have high expectation for the images you capture, generally, the dSLR will make it easier to obtain those images than the Oly. In most cases, it is the photographer that captures the exceptional image not the camera.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Gary

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think MFT in general, and the E-PL2, offer several advantages other than just size and video.

One is that it is better suited to adapted lens use. I've used plenty of adapted lenses on Canon DSLRs, and even with the full frame cameras and custom focus screens, I found manually focusing accurately to be a bear.

Another is in-body stabilization. Normal primes are stabilized on the Oly and not on the Canon.

Another is spread/distribution of AF points - the MFT cameras have full coverage of the frame with AF points, and DSLRs do not.

There are numerous advantages to contrast detection AF, including very useful features which I once considered gimmicks, such as the ability of the camera to automatically meter off of detected faces within the frame, and complete absence of front/back focus issues which I have faced with some lenses on some Canon lenses. Ability to lock focus in low light is also better.

Another is the fact that the Oly external EVF is far brighter and larger than the T2i OVF.

I could go on for a while here, but work is calling...

I'm not saying MFT beats DSLR. I could make a similar list of reasons to choose the DSLR, but others have done that above. All I am saying is that there are a number of reasons in both directions.

16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think that T2i is in fact a cheaper option than E-PL2. I was myself considering that camera before settling for E-PL2. My sister owns T2i and she rarely takes it with her anywhere because of the bulk. A tamron zoom lens she uses is in particular very heavy. Outdoors colors often look wahsed out to me while I always get nice blue skies and green grass with E-PL2. T2i has better DR but I think it's only noticeable in low light at ISO800 and above. I also wonder if E-PL2 can deliver sharper images due to weaker AA filter. In short, I don't think it's worth switching to T2i since you already have E-PL2 and not invested in Canon lenses. Many of my friends have DSLRs which stay at home most of the time unless they're on vacation. I bring my E-PL2 w/either pancake everywhere I go: restaurants, hiking, bars, etc. If you do want a DSLR why not look at Sony A33/55 which has one of the best sensors to date all the way to ISO3200, smaller in size and weight (very similar to GH2), has best in class and very effective steady shot IBIS which works during video mode too. I beleive A33 is similarly priced to E-PL2.

17. Did you try adapted lenses on your Canons using live view, Amin? It pretty much works the same as using the LCD on a m4/3 camera except that on the Canon's to use the magnified view it goes to 5x, then 10x, and back to the full frame. Of course there is less motivation to use adapted lenses on Canons because the EF/EFS lens line-up is about as complete as it can be (except for some dedicated EFS primes, although that's a subject of debate for another forum).

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Back when I had Canons (300D/10D/20D/30D/5D) there was no live view. Anyway, that was just one bit of what I was talking about. I could likewise point to my preference for the Lumix 20 to all of the normal lens options for Canon APS-C (I have owned and used both EF 28mm primes, the Sigma 30, both Canon 35s, and also the 24/2.8) or any other number of differentiating factors which matter to me. My overall point is that it's simply untrue to say that size/weight are the only thing going for Micro 4/3. There are many factors in favor of each system, and most come down to personal preferences.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    For me ... I think that size and weight is the most significant and compelling factor in choosing µ4/3 over a dSLR.

Prior to purchasing a µ4/3, I took my FF dSLR's everywhere. But that is me, probably an exception to the rule.

G

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Furthermore, that ain't such a bad thing. My 1Ds weighs in at 42.9 ounces while the E-PL2 sports a svelte body of only 11.18 ounces.

For most peoples, photography is a hobby not a passion. Size and weight is a consideration and often the only consideration when deciding whether to grab the camera or not grab the camera. A smaller size = less of a consideration = more people partaking in and enjoying/sharing more photography.

Additionally, when one considers that for most non-passionate and non-professional photogs, the images coming out of a µ4/3 are pretty much equal to ... say... the nearly twice the weight T2i, (18.7 oz.) ... then size and weight are such a persuasive argument that most everything else is rendered superfluous (at least for the average non-passionate photog).

G