1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Retrospective 5 or 7?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by znerk, Feb 17, 2014.

1. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014
    Hello

I have a EM-1 and want myself a bag. First I looked for a backpack, that I could carry both my EM-1 my lunchbox and my laptop in, but I am giving up. Now I am considering a Retro 5 or 7 from ThinkTank.

My most important requirement is that the EM-1 with the 12MM (Olympus F2) with hood on fits? I will also bring my 17mm and my 45 mm.

Also, is it possible to put this bag inside a backpack when going to school?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How big is your backpack?

10.0 x 8.5 x 6.0" (25.4 x 21.6 x 15.2 cm) for the 5
    13.5 x 9.5 x 7.0" (34.3 x 24.1 x 17.8 cm) for the 7

I considered the 5 and it should fit EM-1 + 3 lenses. 7 not so sure... didn't look at it.

3. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

And with the hood attached ? :)

My backpack fits a laptop(15,4"). I believe that laptop is 25CM on the wide side when turned vertical :)

I also read that the 7 is too big for daily walks, so believe the 5 will fit me fine.

4. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've got the 7 with EM5 with grip and12-40PRO mounted with lens hood reversed, Rokinon 7.5 and Sigma 60 in a neoprene pouch and a filter pouch holding 4x 62mm filters.
    A small clear "make up" bag holding spare battery, spare lens cap, extra memory cards, original flash unit, tripod plate, cleaning kit and small flashlight - this goes in the outside front pocket. In the inside pocket, 2x microfibre cloth, spectacles, cell phone, small note pad and pen. I can squeeze a small juice bottle in the outer side pocket and could put a tablet in the back zippered pouch if I had one.

5. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

The 12MM is a screw on filter(with a thumbscrew), so was hoping for a bag that fit the lens with the hood. The combination with the hood mounted is shorter than a iPhone 5 !

6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I have the Retrospective 5, and it easily holds the stuff you mentioned. Even my E-M5 with PL25+hood fits with room for two additional primes.
    It's a great bag. Whether it fits your backpack depends on your backpack, doesn't it? :wink: It fits in both my Herschel, and Boblbee.

Looked at the Billingham Hadley Pro? Might fit.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Check the F-stop Millar bags. Bit retro, lightweight, good padding, comfortable, cheaper than TT

8. I just received the Retrospective 5.

I have room for my E-M1, 12-40, 17, and 40-150 with some room to spare. I think I could add a 45 but not sure. Anything bigger and I'd have to do some divider moving OR just swap out a lens I would not be using.

I have a bigger Lowepro Hatchback 22 for when I need everything, but this bag is perfect for when I just want the camera and a couple of lenses.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I have the Retrospective 5 and 7 and those three lenses. Unfortunately, I don't own the EM-1 or the 12mm hood so I can't confirm 100% for sure how it'd fit.

However, based on my experience with the GH3 - which should be a similar size - and those same lenses, I am sure the TT Retro 5 would would hold everything just fine, probably with some room to spare depending on how you pack. I usually pack the body with lens attached facing downward in the center section, and a lens on either side. With small lenses like those, I usually stack two lenses in one side and then use the other side for a flash unit or another lens.

The Retro 7 is considerably larger - for reference, the Retro 5 can't fit a full size iPad in the back pocket, but a Retro 7 can with room to spare. If you're looking to possibly fit the bag *inside* a backpack then the Retro 5 would definitely be my recommendation.

Having said all that, a couple other suggestions I have for you:

1) Consider getting an insert like the Crumpler Haven and using that inside your regular backpack. I have a LOT of backpacks since I'm also into camping and hiking, and I find it much simpler to use a movable insert like the Haven in whatever bag I want to carry for a trip.

2) A larger messenger bag like the Snoop Camera Messenger might work to do double duty for you. I have the Snoop Messenger in S and it's big enough to fit a 15" laptop in the back sleeve, and pack all your camera gear with room to spare. It also has the side benefit of being waterproof. Another tip, if you use one size smaller insert (XS Snoop insert in the Small messenger), it will fit your listed gear AND leave you a good sized space on the end to fit in your lunch bag or other items. I also like the smaller insert because it makes the bag a little more flexible to confirm to my hip but that's a moot point if you're carrying a laptop in the sleeve.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    The 5 will hold that camera and those lenses no problem. I have it for an E-M5, 17 1.8, 45, charger/battery with room to spare. Great bag.

11. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I agree with jloden about the inserts. If you already have a bag you like, they can be really handy.

12. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    That wont be any problem...

13. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014
    Received it today and first impression is just "awesome". Looks really good. I don't believe it will fit in my backpack, but I really like it.

14. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

How big is the Crumpler haven small compared to the retrospective 5? The 5 is just a little to big to fit in my backpack.

15. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    It's pretty small (you can get dimensions from the Crumpler website) -- takes up about half the horizontal space of small Timbuk2 messenger, with some vertical and depth clearance as well.

16. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

Which one do you recommend for the EM-1 with lens + 1-2 lenses? It needs to be smaller than the retrospective 5 ,as its too big for my bag.

17. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    My feeling is that you may find the the small to be a bit cramped for two additional lenses. I use it to carry an E-M5 + lens (either 17/1.8 or 12-50) and the 45/1.8 in a divider. It comes with two dividers, but I never really use it that way unless I'm packing for a trip and don't care too much about accessibility.

18. znerk

znerk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2014
    Maybe the medium then. Which one do you have?

19. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I have the small. When I'm carrying the 17/1.8, I can just drop the camera in. When carrying the 12-50 (and presumably the 12-40), I put the camera in lens down. There's plenty of room to put the 45mm in the divided space with the lens hood on for easy changing.

20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

I have the Haven Small - I ordered both the small and the medium and returned the medium as it was bigger than I needed. For what you're carrying, you could certainly fit it in the small. I just took mine out and packed my 17mm, 12mm, and a GH3 with 35-100 in there with no problem. For reference, I had one lens on each side, and the camera lens-down with the third lens mounted on it. It'll be a somewhat snug fit side to side, so if you want it to be roomier you could go with the medium instead but you'll be just fine with the small.

If you're willing to pack a little creatively and/or are less picky about how it goes in, you can pack quite a bit more in there. For example I often stack two lenses on top of each other in a divided pocket (with a small padded divider between them).