Retro OMD looks save the day!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 6, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    My wife knows I have a bad habit of buying/selling gear. She also knows I shoot cheap old film cameras. I think she chooses to stay ignorant of how much this stuff costs, rationalizing that if cameras and Jeeps are my mid-life crisis, then she's fine with that.

She saw the OMD last night (just the front, with an FD lens attached) and said "boy, that's a really old camera"

I didn't have the heart to correct her and say 'actually, this is my new $1,000 electronic wonder" :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 19
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, I've been buying gear behind my wife's back. It's almost like having a mistress!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So I am quite lucky guys . I bought GX1 and my wife thought I compromised and on father's day I got OMD as gift . I didnt expect it at all:smile:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Thats funny, guess she didn't catch the OLED screen on the back?

I've been known to use my kids to excuse my camera purchases..."Oh honey if I had this body/lens combo I can get awesome photos of the kids!"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    I also buy and sell a lot of gear but I have a great technique for re-assuring my wife. I usually sell something around the same time I buy something else and tell her that the item I sold will cover it. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. I'm not sure she's fooled all the time but as I don't spend my money on much else for me she's cool with it all :smile:.
  6. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Flip side. I don't think my husband has any idea how much my camera gear and assorted accessories cost. :cool:

And, unless he looks really closely, do you think that he'll notice that my "G3" now has a nice hand grip?
    • Like Like x 4
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010

Keep 'em oblĂ­vios!
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Being single has an advantage here. I can buy whatever I want, and I "only" have to deal with my own guilt. :wink: Then again, it would be nice to have a spouse who surprised me with the expensive camera of my dreams ... like Bhupinder's wife. :biggrin:
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Just wait until it ends up in a cardboard box selling for $15 at your next garage sale. :eek:
    • Like Like x 2
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    My wife likes Oly Pens and OMD's so there is no problem adding more gear in this house. :cool: :2thumbs:
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's hilarious. My wife couldn't tell one camera from another but she does notice the steady stream of boxes around the house. When she sees one at the door she always asks "new camera?" and when it's in the house it's "buying or selling?"
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    My wife and I have a sort of "don't ask, don't tell" thing going on. If she were to ask I always tell her what I've bought but she chooses not to ask (Most of the time). I purchase mostly refurb or used gear so she knows I try to be somewhat responsible. Also, she is a teacher and, thus, not home when most of my packages arrive. I generally use money that I get for performing weddings, so it doesn't impact the household budget. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    That's too funny. Sneakiness is the key to a happy marriage :biggrin:
  14. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've been thinking of changing kit lenses. The 14-42mm is nice, but I could use something a little wider. I'm thinking that the 12-35mm should do. Selling the 14-42mm should be about a wash, right? :biggrin:

Or a little closer to reality: look, honey, I'm selling four lenses (2 x 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 45/2.8) and just buying one new one, and the money is almost a wash (just throwing in a couple hundred for the new one.)
  15. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    My other hobby is shooting and collecting firearms. There's a standard joke in that crowd of, 'my big fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my guns for what I told her I paid for them'.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I thought I had fooled my wife when I bought my G5. I was fortunate enough to be home alone when the UPS man stopped, so I took the package and quickly opened it and put the camera away. I discreetly put the packing carton in a pile with some others in our laundry room and thought I had gotten away with it. She walks in the door and says, "I see there's another box in the pile; what did you buy this time?". Curses....foiled again!:redface:
    • Like Like x 2
  17. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    She wouldn't know a 12-35mm from a kit lens, however, photography keeps me out of trouble so she takes a pragmatic view, smart woman my wife :smile:
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Did you get the eye roll, too? I see that one a lot :tongue:
  19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Too funny!

Good to know, you are now covered on any Fuji purchases as well. :2thumbs:
  20. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's the best thing about m4/3. Everything is small, so it can't be that expensive, right?

That little 12mm lens can't be more then fifty or sixty dollars. Un-huh.

If I come waltzing in with a new 1D-X or a 400mm it's a little harder to pull off without being interrogated.