retrieve software ...

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks to MS, I had to buy a new pc with W10. I managed to transfer my files and re-download my photo editing software except for one program. Topaz Detail was purchased as a gift from my wife years ago and neither of us has the activation code. I checked my account on the Topaz website and Detail was not listed as one of my purchased products. I contacted Topaz and gave them my wife's and my email addresses and the approximate purchase time to see if they could provide me with the activation code. No luck. And to my dismay, Topaz Detail is now considered a "legacy" product and is no longer for sale. They now bundle "Detail" into their new Adjust AI software.

Is it possible to retrieve the Detail software from my old W7 pc and transfer it to my new W10 machine ? Please keep in mind I have limited computer skills and will need advice I can understand. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You could upgrade your old machine to Windows 10, assuming it is up to it. Doesn't cost anything.

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
You could upgrade your old machine to Windows 10, assuming it is up to it. Doesn't cost anything.
Had already tried the upgrade but my old pc couldn't support it. I started out with Windows XP on that machine, and realistically ready to move on. My new W10 pc is working nicely, but I am missing the use of that Topaz Detail software. I had hoped I could get away with something as simple as a copy & paste manuever.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, the license key is probably in the Windows Registry on the old computer.
If computer is still running, you can run REGEDIT and search Keys and Values for Topaz.
If it's not running, the registry files could be examined on another computer.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
You say bought years ago, do you have an installation disc for it? If so the license key should be in there.
If you don't have a disc you have to find the installation program and the license key to be able to install again, if you don't have that you are out of luck.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To expand on what @barry13 said, it is easy if you have not done before.
Click on start then run and type regedit, press enter
normally if the keys are visible they are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
Expand the software you are looking for and the key will be in the right pane. If it is a long key you can go into edit mode and copy the key to a note pad file.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Oh good, looks like not all may be lost. The old pc still runs great. I just have to hook it up to my monitor (only have the one). If I understand correctly, I can :
- retrieve the activation code from the old pc
- copy the program files to the new pc
- during install on new pc, provide the act. code when asked

I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thank you all for your time and help. It's much appreciated.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Oh good, looks like not all may be lost. The old pc still runs great. I just have to hook it up to my monitor (only have the one). If I understand correctly, I can :
- retrieve the activation code from the old pc
- copy the program files to the new pc
- during install on new pc, provide the act. code when asked

I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thank you all for your time and help. It's much appreciated.
You still need the installation files AFAIK, just copying the installed files from your old computer does not work. But do save the installed program files and copy them to the new computer, there might be settings files that you want to use again.

One place to maybe find the installation files are your download directory, if you haven't cleaned that directory by deleting files it should contain your installation file. That is if you didn't install from a disc, in that case you need to find the disc.

Good luck!

Sawdust

Mu-43 Veteran
When you find your activation code (License Key), as instructed by barry13, you might try downloading a trial of Topaz Detail at this URL:

https://topaz-detail.software.informer.com/3.3/

(I just downloaded Topaz Detail on my Win10 machine, and it was inserted it into Photoshop CC without any trouble. You can use it for 30 days, or insert a License Key to activate it permanently.)

This is the latest trial version of Topaz Detail.

You may have had an older version, and they are also available to download at this URL. Just choose the version you think you had, and see if your License Key works for that version. If it doesn't try the other versions, with that License Key.

This may save you trying to transfer all the Topaz Detail files from your old computer to the new one.

Good Luck.

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
I did a quick search for Topaz Detail installation file and found version 3.3.0 on a site.
I hope I am not violating any forum rules by sharing this with you, I downloaded it and checked it for virus.
You can download it from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0y65nkm9t7mnhb2/AABoM1mw70BU_V60lF4eyg2Ja?dl=0
No install disk used. I downloaded and installed from Topaz online site. I still have everything from that event still on my old pc.
When you find your activation code (License Key), as instructed by barry13, you might try downloading a trial of Topaz Detail at this URL:

https://topaz-detail.software.informer.com/3.3/

(I just downloaded Topaz Detail on my Win10 machine, and it inserted it into Photoshop CC without any trouble. You can use it for 30 days, or insert a License Key to activate it permanently.)

This is the latest trial version of Topaz Detail.

You may have had an older version, and they are also available to download at this URL. Just choose the version you think you had, and see if your License Key works for that version. If it doesn't try the other versions, with that License Key.

This may save you trying to transfer all the Topaz Detail files from your old computer to the new one.

Good Luck.
That's very helpful in case I have difficulty trying to retrieve the original software. I'll attempt to get the activation code first and go from there.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
There is a useful utility called FreePCAudit from MIS utilities, which is self contained, and if you run it from a USB stick on your old PC, it will give you a list of the hardware, and all the software installed, with the various license keys. Hopefully you can use this key with the download to activate it. I have used this myself for reading MS Office licenses.
https://www.misutilities.com/free-pc-audit/

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
There is a useful utility called FreePCAudit from MIS utilities, which is self contained, and if you run it from a USB stick on your old PC, it will give you a list of the hardware, and all the software installed, with the various license keys. Hopefully you can use this key with the download to activate it. I have used this myself for reading MS Office licenses.
Belarc Adviser does the same, and it is free as well for personal use.

--Ken

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you for the link and help.

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, much to my dismay I was not able to retrieve my activation code by trying all of the excellent suggestions. Strangely, the PC-Audit software revealed not one license key for any of my software. Then I remembered that in 2016 I had my hard drive replaced on the old pc and had all my programs and files transferred to the new replacement hard drive. When I got the pc back from the shop I noticed a new icon on my desktop of a folder titled "cleaner". I suspect that repair may be the reason why no license keys are now listed. The pc ran great and still does but was replaced only because of no more security support for W7 from MS.
Oh well. I again thank everyone for the help and actually learned a bit from the experience. I'm now throwing in the towel. I have more fun being out with my camera gear.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom