Retouching services?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by greenjp, Jul 10, 2015.

1. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Howdy folks. I have this picture:
    18101123599_5213902af0_c. P1100101_DxO_1 by Jeff Green, on Flickr

I really like it, but for the purpose of making a print I'd like to have that piece of straw or whatever it is, along with the grass/leaf, in the foreground removed (next time I'll do it before I take the picture :)). I do not have the right software (or skills more importantly) to do that sort of retouching, but it seems there are many services online that offer to do this sort of thing.

Does anyone have any experience with a particular service that they'd recommend? Thanks,

jeff

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Jeff,
    You can easily do the removal of the grass using cloning tools in Lightroom, Photoshop, Perfect Photo Suite, and likely Photoshop Elements and other apps. With film we did the capture and labs did the development. With digital the paradigm changed. We are now responsible for both capture and post processing. Look at this as opportunity to take full control of your photography. I easily cloned the grass out with Perfect Photo Suite's Perfect Eraser tool. But I can't post the image as I am running Mac OS 10.11 beta and this site's "upload a photo" button is not working for me. But only took a few moments. The hardest part is getting the size of the brush correct.

3. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Any free programs? I use Optics Pro 8 for RAW developing, its "dust" tool works great for little things like blemishes and those gnats flying around the girls (in the original there's more of them, on the girls, etc). I don't have Lightroom or any of the others mentioned.

jeff

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    GIMP is free and runs on windows, OS X, and Linux.

Barry

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Costco does restoration and maybe retouching for $30, but I'd recommend trying it yourself first. Lots of tutorials and videos online.

Barry

6. Schira

Schira New to Mu-43

Jun 4, 2011
    You can also use faststone. That is my goto software for cloning/healing.

7. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Thanks for the advice everybody, especially the recommendation for faststone. Here is a new version:

19576804016_0055a06c47_c. P1100101_DxO_1 Retouched by Jeff Green, on Flickr

There are a couple parts I'm not totally happy with but overall I think it looks pretty good.

• Like Like x 2