Retirement gift?

pfoiles

New to Mu-43
I am retiring in a few weeks and am considering giving myself a present in the form of a second m43 body. My primary system is Sony FF with two bodies and several lenses but I have recently been building an m43 system for when I want something more compact and light weight. My current m43 system is:
EM5m3
Oly 12/2
Pan 20/1.7 ii
Oly 45/1.8
Oly 60/2.8 macro
Oly 75/1.8
Oly 12-100/4

I don’t necessarily need a second body but there are a couple of jobs it could do, one is be a semi permanent home for the 12-100 for a one camera/lens option. Its OK with the EM5 but I am sure something a bit bigger would be a better platform. Options for this would be the G9, EM1m2 or even the m3 but I am not sure it is worth the price bump.

The other job is when shooting primes it can be useful to have two bodies with a different lens on each. For this maybe the Pen-F could be useful to keep everything compact. I can get a new Pen-F for $810.

It would probably be easier to switch between the EM5 and EM1,maybe less so for the Pen-F and perhaps the biggest different if I went with the G9. The G9 is arguably the best bang for the buck at the moment but it looses the dual IS with the 12-100.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Sounds like you want to justify the EM1.3 for the 12-100. This is what I currently have, they work really well together.
I would be tempted to wait for the Black Friday sales this year. Especially as you already have the EM5.3

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Perhaps the E-M1 Mkii AND the PEN-F.:biggrin: Not significantly more at current prices compared with the E-M1 Mkiii. Then you are covering both options.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I would say either the EM1-mk2 or mk3, specifically for the 12-100. But this depends on HOW you shoot.
My experience with that lens on the EM1-mk1 (similar battery as your EM5-mk3), is that it is a power hog (2-1/2 hrs continuous).
The larger battery of the mk2/mk3, gives you a longer run time (3-1/2 hrs continuous).

The other is the grip on the EM1 makes it easier to hold the camera as you are zooming.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Purely for better handling and better battery life with 12-100 - EM1 II or III.
Pure fun with your primes - Pen-F and an add-on grip for your EM5 III.
Or get both and deal with 3 different batteries.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Since your E-M5 III is basically a smaller version of an E-M1 II with many functions then the E-M1 II would be a good choice, but if you can justify the E-M1 III, then go for it. You will be running larger batteries with both E-M1 II & III though (which is a good thing).

I would say either the EM1-mk2 or mk3, specifically for the 12-100. But this depends on HOW you shoot.
My experience with that lens on the EM1-mk1 (similar battery as your EM5-mk3), is that it is a power hog (2-1/2 hrs continuous).
The larger battery of the mk2/mk3, gives you a longer run time (3-1/2 hrs continuous).

The other is the grip on the EM1 makes it easier to hold the camera as you are zooming.
The E-M1 (Mk I) uses the same battery as the E-M5 but the E-M5 III uses a smaller battery (BLS-50) that's in the E-M10 & E-PL series.

Last edited:

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Buy Pen F and i'm sure you will enjoy this camera.

The others is just another OMD.

Real Name
Walter
I concur with those recommending EM1 II or III. The bigger grip of the EM1 series works really well with the 12-100. Everything else you have up through the 75 works OK on the 5.3, although a supplemental grip may be more comfortable. I'm looking for a supplemental grip/L-plate for that reason, as well as reinforce the bottom when I want to mount it on a tripod. (disclaimer: I have an EM1 II body for sale on the board)

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
What do you really want? Do you see yourself using the 12-100 and also eventually getting more longer focal lengths? Then an E-M1ii or iii is the right fit.

Do you want a fun lifestyle camera and interested in controlling in-camera jpeg processing? Then the Pen F is a good choice. However I own one and it doesn't really excel in 2020 as an all arounder. It's a great niche body.

Latest threads

Top Bottom