Retina iMac

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Many site are reporting that Apple will host an event on the 16th were they will announce new products such as: Yosemite release data, updated iPad with touch id home key and the A8 processor in iPhone6, and a 27" Retina iMac with 5k screen. Less certain are the rumored 12" Retina Macbook Air and updated Apple TV.

I assume the 27" Retina iMac will be an RGB, not Adobe RGB gamut panel. Still one of those could make for a nice environment for post processing work. I hope Apple also updates the Thunderbolt Display to a Retina Display. If so, that would likely not be until next year when the screen suppliers can keep up with the iMac orders.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
i thought it was going to be a 28"
doesnt dell have a 28" 5k screen that the imac is supposed to be based off of? a dual panel screen, or something
so you can check that dell panel and see what rgb variety it is

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
While the new Retina iMac is 5K, do not expect a 5K version of the Thunderbolt Display. Too much bandwidth needed for that. But we could get a 4K Thunderbolt Display using the TB2 interface.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
FINALLY got mine in last night... loving it!
it took ALL NIGHT to migrate my junk off timemachine over wireless... sheesh!
it should have popped up "you should really delete that 100 gb or so of the most blurry, poorly composed photographs you're hoarding, Eliot..."
one day.. a computer will do that... and itll be scary

lol

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Congrats!!!!!!!!

If I go by the Apple store to see a Retina iMac.....that could create a local financial crisis. :wink:

On my rMBP I only keep email, apps, and the Lightroom catalog (not the original images) on the internal SSD. All my photos, music, documents...etc. are on a 6TB thunderbolt RAID 0 set. The rMBP and external library are backed up by TM onto a separate 6TB external drive. That makes things much quicker to replace computers. No need to download GBs of photos, music, or documents to the internal drive. I use my iPhone to carry my music in the field and my iPad has collections of finished photos.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
Which thunderbolt external do you have? And are you happy with it
I got the 3tb fusion drive and a 3tb time capsule so now I should be good
I was using an old usb2 external to move old libraries over to, ugh, nightmare

Congrats!!!!!!!!

If I go by the Apple store to see a Retina iMac.....that could create a local financial crisis. :wink:

On my rMBP I only keep email, apps, and the Lightroom catalog (not the original images) on the internal SSD. All my photos, music, documents...etc. are on a 6TB thunderbolt RAID 0 set. The rMBP and external library are backed up by TM onto a separate 6TB external drive. That makes things much quicker to replace computers. No need to download GBs of photos, music, or documents to the internal drive. I use my iPhone to carry my music in the field and my iPad has collections of finished photos.

Joe King

Mu-43 Regular
Had a look at one of these at my local Apple dealer today. Screen looks absolutely stunning and have as good as made up my mind to get one but am also happy to wait until next year, partly because of finances and also because hopefully Apple will issue an update with the the forthcoming Intel Broadwell chipset by then.

Of course, we also need Oly and Panny to make cameras with 20+ megapixel sensors to make full use of this screen resolution. :smile:

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Which thunderbolt external do you have? And are you happy with it
I got the 3tb fusion drive and a 3tb time capsule so now I should be good
I was using an old usb2 external to move old libraries over to, ugh, nightmare
On the subject of drives, we've started using these and they're incredible: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/performance/backup-plus-fast-hdd/
It's a pair of Samsung (?!) miniature drives in RAID 0, stuffed into a compact USB 3 bus powered enclosure. The capacity is great (4 TB), the price is great ($250), the speed is great (240 MB/s real life read), the size is great. The drive includes a Paragon NTFS driver if you'd like to share it across Mac and PC, which I do, or you can just set it to HFS+ if you want.

While I want to find an excuse for Thunderbolt, and have both Macs and PCs that support it, it's horribly expensive and it takes huge RAID arrays for it to make sense. What I did instead was to install 12 TB of RAID storage in my new machine (no enclosure needed), and use it as home base while using the 4 TB Seagate external as a working/portable/transfer drive. Works great with my retina MBP; the only hassle is that the lack of ports on the MBP is a real problem. Need to grab a decent USB 3 hub, I guess.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
Had a look at one of these at my local Apple dealer today. Screen looks absolutely stunning and have as good as made up my mind to get one but am also happy to wait until next year, partly because of finances and also because hopefully Apple will issue an update with the the forthcoming Intel Broadwell chipset by then.

Of course, we also need Oly and Panny to make cameras with 20+ megapixel sensors to make full use of this screen resolution. :smile:
yeah, stupid slow poke intel! i have a buddy that does chip design for them, I'm always yelling at him to get back to work when i see him... gasp... relaxing on Facebook! unspeakable slovenly behavior cannot be tolerated out of people in charge of making STUFF for ME! lol!! :D

On the subject of drives, we've started using these and they're incredible: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/performance/backup-plus-fast-hdd/
It's a pair of Samsung (?!) miniature drives in RAID 0, stuffed into a compact USB 3 bus powered enclosure. The capacity is great (4 TB), the price is great ($250), the speed is great (240 MB/s real life read), the size is great. The drive includes a Paragon NTFS driver if you'd like to share it across Mac and PC, which I do, or you can just set it to HFS+ if you want.

While I want to find an excuse for Thunderbolt, and have both Macs and PCs that support it, it's horribly expensive and it takes huge RAID arrays for it to make sense. What I did instead was to install 12 TB of RAID storage in my new machine (no enclosure needed), and use it as home base while using the 4 TB Seagate external as a working/portable/transfer drive. Works great with my retina MBP; the only hassle is that the lack of ports on the MBP is a real problem. Need to grab a decent USB 3 hub, I guess.

im a spoiled brat, so i always immediately look at thunderbolt, but ill have to take a looksee at these usb3,... everyone i know that uses it says its SO much faster than usb2 that it should have been named something else entirely

so mbbe that'll be good enuf...? lets hope! it'll save me some cash for my sony 16-35/4 fe i need :( i think I'm giving my em1 and m43 lenses away to a friend and then selling off the em5 that he's current borrowing and ATTEMPT to just focus on one system.. but ill still come here and hang out, as this is my orig amin sabet forum hangout :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom