Rethinking the O75 ..........

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dornblaser, Jun 27, 2014.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I spend a fair amount of time inside churches. Saturday is a case in point, I will be at a cathedral to watch a friend be ordained. I often want to grab a shot but I am usually some distance from the subject and flashes are usually inappropriate and/or not effective. I have a friend, who is our church's photographer, who will often use a P35-100 on his GX7, he has taken a few nice pics of me with that combo. I know that my choice of lenses is one but I am wondering if anyone who has the O75 and has taken pictures in a setting like inside a church would mind posting pics and exif info? I would appreciate it, thanks in advance.

2. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    I have both the 75mm f1.8 and the 35-100mm f2.8. I bought the 75mm first only because I stumbled on a good deal.

The church I usually shoot in is small only ten rows of pews front to back. The 75mm will give me a full length portrait of a person in the vertical orientation from the back of the church and from the 4th row of pews from the front I get a head and shoulder crop of a person.

The 35-100mm allows for greater flexibility in framing but because my church isn't always well lit I quite often need the extra stop of light the 75mm f1.8 provides in order to get a high enough shutter speed to spot subject movement. I don't like shooting the EM5 above ISO 3200 and I don't use flash during a typical service only on rare occasions and sparingly.

If you have a well lit church I'd say go for the 35-100 if the lighting is questionable I would get the 75mm f1.8.

When shooting in church I have with me the two panasonic f2.8 zooms and the 20mm f1.7, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8.

I had the primes first and have only in the past 6 months added the two f2.8 zooms.

I'll try and post some photos later

• Like Like x 1
  3. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Barcelona

i-XK8HTmj-X3.

Camera OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. E-M5
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length 75mm
    Aperture f/4.5
    Exposure Time 0.0125s (1/80)
    Name P8050086.jpg
    Size 4490 x 3368
    Date Taken 2013-08-05 15:56:47
    Date Modified 2013-08-05 15:56:47

File Size 5.33 MB
    Flash flash did not fire
    Metering pattern
    Exposure Program aperture priority
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Exposure Mode auto
    Light Source unknown
    White Balance auto
    Digital Zoom 1.0x
    Contrast 0
    Saturation 2
    Sharpness 2
    Color Space sRGB

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't know about churches, but the 75 is an excellent lens for shooting low-light indoor events in general. It works really well in theatres, sports halls etc. I don't see why it won't be just as good in a church (unless the almighty is a Nikon user perhaps?)

• Like Like x 1
  5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks for your thoughts. My church is not well lit and there are often evening events.

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    every quarter of a stop counts when shooting in these conditions. the 75 gets the job done for working distance and large aperture. i've been dreaming to get one even if i have the 35-100. good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. doug515

doug515 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2014
    Cloverdale California
    Have you considered getting a legacy lens? In poorly lit church at a longer shooting distance focus assist is useless and you will probably have greater success with manual focus anyway. Many good old 85 f1.8, 85 f1.4, and even 85 f1.2 lenses by Canon, Nikon, Olympus and others available for much less than the O75. I picked up a Canon FD 85 f1.8, ex- shape, for $75 plus $15 for a Fotasy adapter (much better quality adapter than the others I've used). My 50 f1.4 was $59, ex+! These two have proven themselves in my F-1n film days and have been well worth the re-investment in the digital age.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Hi Doug,

I am not opposed to legacy glass, we have a handful of lenses for our OM-1 including the f1.8 50mm. I am just going to bite the bullet and order the 75, I put it in my B&H wish list when they were closed for the Sabbath. My wife is in London and was commenting today that she wished that she had a longer lens for museum/church shoots. Luckily it was a moot point as the venue she was visiting did not allow photography. Sadly, she said that some, principally Americans, were violating the photography prohibition.

David

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I violated photography prohibition during a friend's son's Bar Mitzvah. One shot with the 75 obtained a keepsake they will treasure for a long time. That of mom and dad accompanying the son speaking at a lectern. Lighting was moderately dim, not dim. Lectern's reading lamp furnished a nice reflected up-light for subject's faces.