Rethinking epl3 over ep3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jul 3, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    On vacation on the cape shooting with my ep1 and 20mm and 14-150 and also my 5d with newly reacquired 17-40. I needed the 17-40 and 5d for indoor shots on vacation.

Really was missing the quick AF of a DSLR, and with new Olys coming and their AF claims, I'm beginning to dream expensive dreams!

I was sure the EP3 was my next camera and preordered it, but that tilting screen and 5 fps of the epl3 has got my mind wandering. Also with the newly designed EPL3 shutter, I'm wondering if it will outperform the EP3 in shutter lag, which continues to be a frustration in shooting kids with the EP1, more than the AF speed. Also I can't wait for more dots on my LCD. I might even try owning both ep3 and epl3, and have a prime on one and zoom on the other.

Then, depending on quality, sell the 20 to get the 12, 25 AND 45!

I might have to sell the 5D to afford this!

Oh, this is going to be expensive!
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep...that sure does look to be a spendy little exercise.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think there will be any significant difference in performance between the two. The E-PL3 may have a tilt LCD screen, but the E-P3 has a brighter, more vibrant (with better contrast) OLED screen, which means that viewing from an angle should be better.

I think your decision, unless budget comes into play, should be based on the form factor you prefer... if you want a larger body with interchangeable grips and an extra control dial, or if you want a smaller, more compact body. The feature set and performance of each are probably too similar to base your buying decision off of (I say probably because I've never had either in my hands, of course).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If I were buying new today I'd take a serious look at the E-PL3. It really depends what you want it for however. For instance as a travel camera the E-PL3 is hugely appealing. The lack of any sort of grip might not be so fun in the long term but when traveling light it would be a godsend. I can see the E-PL3+Panasonic 14 being a sweet combination (or the Olympus 12 if you have the budget).
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just read though that the epl3 has a newly designed shutter, so I hope to see that in action. The shutter lag on my ep1 is not just the AF because there's still a lag when in MF

I think I'll have to preorder both and compare.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The shutter lag is partly due to IBIS and I believe is adjustable