Results of Spring Cleaning!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Iansky, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Well after a lot of procrastination, reading reviews, talking to users coupled with a desire to maximise the value left on my DSLR kit, I finally agreed a deal and collected the kit below yesterday (I already had the 25mm from my GX1 kit so kept that).

I have had my D700 for a while and have been using it less and less to the point it was getting used only twice a year at airshows and for the occasional portrait so could not justify keeping it and seeing the residual value falling (it was also getting heavier as a kit so my body said .....let it go!)

I am absolutely "Gobsmacked" by the build quality and size of the OMD it is incredible and I am looking forwards to putting the Sony sensor to the test!

I have removed the bottom part of the grip to reduce overall footprint size so will see how I get on with it.

Here is an image of the complete kit (taken with my trusty X100).

I have also been looking at some work by a UK based photographer who only shoots OMD for all his professional work, incredible stuff and a link to his site is below:

Blog — Damian McGillicuddy

It is worth checking out his videos on You Tube - stunning work!
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Can't wait to see your pictures with the OM-D! Congrats!
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats, Ian. Can't wait to see your photos from the new kit!
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Congratulations, Ian! I have more or less been ignoring the OM-D since its introduction, despite being aware of its specifications and abilities. But, suddenly, I seem to have developed an interest in it lately. I suspect that's because I'm not all that pleased with the direction Panasonic is taking with its top cameras. The GH3 is about the same size as my Pentax K-5. I'll probably be watching OM-D prices going forward.
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Congrats Ian this is a very nice set.
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    First photos

Thanks for the comments, it is a lot smaller than I expected but built like a tank.

I am loving the IQ and the Sony sensor certainly delivers!

These are some of my first taken today

7. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Nice! the new journey begin.
  8. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very nice setup. :D
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Did the same as you and ditched an FF SLR (in my case a 5dii) for an OMD. Totally happy with my move and I'm sure you will be too.

Nice lens line-up - but it looks like a nice WA might be on the shopping list?

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I just sold my 5d mkII as well and the omd is on my shopping list.
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Sweet kit - I'm envious! :thumbup:
  12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    This kit is so small and light in comparison to my since departed D700 and the results are amazing as well, just waiting for filters for the 45 & 75 and intend to buy 3rd party lens shades as not paying the price Olympus want (JJC do some great alternatives).

I would love the 12mm F2 but it is too expensive and no spare cash - I must say though that the 12-50 deliver nice images but is a large lens......only saying that to help reduce the GAS over 12mm.

A friend of mine has the 60mm macro that he uses on his OMD and it is a superb lens but, I do not need it!
  13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Congrats. I just ordered a couple of new items myself, VF2, 45mm 1.8, & WCON P01. Just need to figured out which items I will be selling off.
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I agree... I'd love the 12mm f/2.0 but really can't afford it now. Re: the 12-50 - maybe it's me but I really don't understand a lot of complaints I hear about this lens. Perhaps there are some bad copies out there? Or do people have unrealistic expectations? I've seen a lot of nice, real-world images from this lens and I think it's good to have a lens with weather resistance to go with the OM-D body. Of course, there's always this manual-focus option but I'll bet it's a bit heavy on the front of the OM-D:

Re: the 60mm macro - I have the 45mm already and I think I would buy this before the 75mm. But that's just me.
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Steve you are right and I guess kit lenses will always be a little hit & miss as they are built to a price!

I have to admit that mine did surprise me in a pleasant way especially after the bad experience I had with the 14-42X lens I got with the Pany GX1.
  16. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Congrats, your :43: kit is mouth watering! If I decided to leave the photo business world, I have no problems selling off all of my DSLR stuff and have only the :43: gear. Good for you!!!