Results of E-M1 mk1 at football game :-(

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My first college football game was mid-day in early September. It was sunny and hot. I had no idea how I would be fighting for light at the night games (which turned out to be almost all of the remainder of the season and the next season as well). I do not take good lighting for granted.

--Ken
My yearbook kids don't get it when I tell them, they HAVE TO shoot ANY night game that is postponed to Saturday daytime.
They think of Sat as their "play" time, not work time :rolleyes:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
New school year.

As before ONE day FB game in the entire season, and only two of the kids went to shoot it. ☹

I have an EM1-mk2 now, so I plan to try it out at tomorrow afternoon and night FB game, to see if it fixed the frozen last frame issue I have with the mk1.
I am taking both the Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4 and the EM1-mk2 + 12-100. So if the mk2 does not work out, I have the reliable D7200 to fall back on.
I plan to try the EM1-mk2 with both the mechanical and electronic shutters. The the idea is that if the e-shutter works, that should reduce the shutter wear. I estimated that I shoot about 25 to 30 thousand shots each school year, on my D7200.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
New school year.

As before ONE day FB game in the entire season, and only two of the kids went to shoot it. ☹

I have an EM1-mk2 now, so I plan to try it out at tomorrow afternoon and night FB game, to see if it fixed the frozen last frame issue I have with the mk1.
I am taking both the Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4 and the EM1-mk2 + 12-100. So if the mk2 does not work out, I have the reliable D7200 to fall back on.
I plan to try the EM1-mk2 with both the mechanical and electronic shutters. The the idea is that if the e-shutter works, that should reduce the shutter wear. I estimated that I shoot about 25 to 30 thousand shots each school year, on my D7200.
Just be careful with regards to rolling shutter as well as banding when shooting with the electronic shutter.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just be careful with regards to rolling shutter as well as banding when shooting with the electronic shutter.
I did notice elongation when I shot tennis with the EM1-mk1, which I attribute to the rolling shutter.
But I'm still having trouble figuring out how the progressive scanning of the e-shutter is different than the moving slit of a focal plane shutter.

Banding is another issue that I have to figure out.
Luckily I have not seen it, yet.

D7200 + 70-200 is coming as my primary camera.
The EM1-mk2 is going for a "test drive."

Real Name
Mel
The team we photograph won their second game of the season (2-0) last night 75-8. It was 61-0 at the half even with lots of reserves playing. It was 34-0 at the end of the first quarter. The team is ranked either 1 or 2 in the state depending upon the sportswriters in different areas of the state.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yay we won 63-23. :biggrin:
When the score went above 50, I asked the AD if we were playing basketball.
Offense was great, but defense let them score 3 TDs. So I presume the coach had a talk to the team about their defense.

The EM1-mk2 WAS much better than the mk1. :thumbup:
But the EVF was still not as good as the OVF on my D7200. Images got choppy as I was following the action.
Looks like the D7200 still wins for field sports. Or I need more practice, which I will do more anyway.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
FUBAR :mad:

I was not paying attention and did not raise the ISO on the EM1 as the sky went from dim to dark. So I was shooting at ISO 1200, rather than 6400.
The camera was shooting at a WAY TOO LOW shutter speed, and I lost LOTS of good pics. :(
Too much confidence that I knew what I was doing, I did not pay enough attention, and I got burned.
Time to make a camera settings check list that I will do before the game and at half-time.
Lesson learned, to pass on to the students.

I did raise the ISO on the Nikon, so I had some good pics.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I did notice elongation when I shot tennis with the EM1-mk1, which I attribute to the rolling shutter.
But I'm still having trouble figuring out how the progressive scanning of the e-shutter is different than the moving slit of a focal plane shutter.
The elongation you're seeing could be from the e-shutter or you could just be seeing the deformation of the tennis ball after impact. Tennis balls will tend to become slightly oblong around the rotation axis and shortly after impact you can usually see a compression wave bouncing back and forth within the ball for a few racket lengths of flight.

As to how the e-shutter and focal plane shutter are different, the basic mechanism that creates the rolling shutter effect is the same, it's just that the readout speed/shutter traverse time of the e-shutter on the E-M1ii is slower than the mechanical shutter by roughly a factor of 6.

FUBAR :mad:

I was not paying attention and did not raise the ISO on the EM1 as the sky went from dim to dark. So I was shooting at ISO 1200, rather than 6400.
The camera was shooting at a WAY TOO LOW shutter speed, and I lost LOTS of good pics. :(
Too much confidence that I knew what I was doing, I did not pay enough attention, and I got burned.
Time to make a camera settings check list that I will do before the game and at half-time.
Lesson learned, to pass on to the students.

I did raise the ISO on the Nikon, so I had some good pics.
For any sports situation where you're fighting against variable lighting you're much better off setting a minimum shutter speed and then using Auto ISO (Menu --> Gear Menu --> E1 --> ISO-Auto Set --> Lowest S/S Setting --> 1/800s (If you want to freeze motion at least). Shooting full manual is too slow in such situations and really doesn't gain you anything.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Shot volleyball tonight.
The EVF freeze issue that I had with the mk1 is fixed with the mk2 :thumbup:
Tracking immediately after a burst and follow up shots were easy.

Now if only Olympus would fix the FW in the mk1.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well I found a downside to the mk2.
A HUGE LOT of frames.
At 18fps, the tennis match that I shot today, I have to sort through 3,600 frames !!! :eek:
Prior to the EM1, the most I ever shot at a game was about 600 frames.
Then a couple weeks ago I did 900 frames with the mk1, and now 3,600 with the mk2 (at 18fps).
And crazy me was thinking of shooting at the HIGH rate of 60 fps. I think NOT.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
A HUGE LOT of frames.
At 18fps, the tennis match that I shot today, I have to sort through 3,600 frames !!! :eek:
Then a couple weeks ago I did 900 frames with the mk1, and now 3,600 with the mk2 (at 18fps).
Yeah, but so long as the SD card (in slot 1) is a fast one & you're prepared to cull frames, it's a great feature though.

Real Name
Mel
Our team, Northwest High, is now 7-0 after beating a cross town rival, Heights, 79-0. The first half was 69-0 and the scrubs played the 2nd half and did nothing except generic running plays and still they scored. Heights was 3-3 and had won 3 straight. Northwest is favored for being in the State Championship against another powerhouse from the East of the State. Here is a shot taken under the lights with the EM-1 and the adapted 50mm-200mm 2.8/3.5 wide open at 1/400th.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Mel
NW (our team) beat cross town rival SE 55-0 to win the city league championship and now with the #1 seed in regionals leading up to the State tournament. NW has averaged over 50 points a game and have only given up 41 points total over the course of the season.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
NW (our team) beat cross town rival SE 55-0 to win the city league championship and now with the #1 seed in regionals leading up to the State tournament. NW has averaged over 50 points a game and have only given up 41 points total over the course of the season.
Hi, I think these would be better in the Sports & Action images section of the site, since there's no discussion of AF, etc.
thanks

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Our team, Northwest High, is now 7-0 after beating a cross town rival, Heights, 79-0. The first half was 69-0 and the scrubs played the 2nd half and did nothing except generic running plays and still they scored. Heights was 3-3 and had won 3 straight. Northwest is favored for being in the State Championship against another powerhouse from the East of the State. Here is a shot taken under the lights with the EM-1 and the adapted 50mm-200mm 2.8/3.5 wide open at 1/400th.
Without the 40-150/2.8, I am shooting with my D7200 + 70-200/4.

How smooth/light is the zoom ring on your 40-150/2.8?
That is something that has bugged me about most zooms. The zoom ring is too tight for easy/fast zooming.
I use my fingers to zoom the 70-200/4. And that makes it easy to follow zoom and switch from the passing QB to the receiver.

The 40-150/2.8 lens has been constantly drawing my eyes. So I will probably get it, one day.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian

That is something that has bugged me about most zooms. The zoom ring is too tight for easy/fast zooming.
I use my fingers to zoom the 70-200/4. And that makes it easy to follow zoom and switch from the passing QB to the receiver.

The 40-150/2.8 lens has been constantly drawing my eyes. So I will probably get it, one day.
All of the PRO lenses have a stiffer zoom ring than Nikon's 70-200 zooms.

I've owned the 40-150 PRO, currently own a 70-200 VR II, and have handled a Nikon 70-200 f/4. I didn't notice a difference between the two Nikon lenses, but the Olympus lens was noticeably stiffer. It definitely is not as easy to zoom with just your fingertips.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A HUGE LOT of frames.
There's a feature starting with the 3.0 firmware that helps on culling shots, while you're in review mode you can depress the record button to select an image. However if you keep it held down and scroll backwards/forwards with the command dial, it will select all of the frames that you scroll through. It makes culling a sequence of shots much faster, especially for things like a bracket or if you have the frame limiter enabled since you know approximately how many shots are in a sequence and can effectively delete them rapidly afterwards.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There's a feature starting with the 3.0 firmware that helps on culling shots, while you're in review mode you can depress the record button to select an image. However if you keep it held down and scroll backwards/forwards with the command dial, it will select all of the frames that you scroll through. It makes culling a sequence of shots much faster, especially for things like a bracket or if you have the frame limiter enabled since you know approximately how many shots are in a sequence and can effectively delete them rapidly afterwards.
Sheesh, I had no idea this was in there. Thanks.

Real Name
Mel
The two pro zooms I own, the 12-40 2.8 and 40-150 2.8 do have a little firmer zoom ring than the Nikons I owned which were several versions of the 80-200mm 2.8, the 70-200mm 2.8.

Real Name
Ken

Easy answer---get a nikon d500------cat's meow

Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom