Results of E-M1 mk1 at football game :-(

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
AF works on continuous high when you have the rate set to 9 fps or less. You have to set the frame rate for continuous high to 9. I believe the default is 10 fps and at that rate, I think focus is locked on the first frame. That restriction was lifted with a firmware update (version 3 I believe). You could see in the video how minimal the blackout was at 9 fps. I regularly track players running towards me. I'd say the in focus rate is 85%.

I only use continuous low on stationary subjects because of the excessive blackout.

The number of frames does go up, but you also catch more photos with the eyes open, limbs positioned just right, better facial expressions, etc.
Rich,
I changed continuous high to 9fps and will give it a try at tomorrows basketball game.
Fingers crossed.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
Is this with a EM1 MK 1? Also, what lense are you using? I'm trying to get an understanding of how much better AF will work, especially CAF, with different m43 lenses. Currently I'm using my 4/3 50-200, 14-54, and 7-14. The only m43 lens I have is the cheap 40-150 that I bought for a compact option. May eventually upgrade to a em1 mkii but not there yet.
That is with an E-M1 Mk 1 and a 40-150 Pro. I can't say how much different C-AF would be with your 50-200 or 40-150. I've heard good things about the 50-200 SWD version. I had the 40-150 R and sold it recently after I got a 14-150 II. I bought the 40-150 R as a compact tele to be used while traveling. I only used it on one trip. I bought it reconditioned for $60 and sold it for $51, so it worked out fine. I replaced it with the 14-150 for the extended zoom range and weather sealing. I sometimes video my son's soccer games and wanted a lens that would cover a wider range while being weather sealed. And, for some trips I plan to take the 14-150 and a prime or two for a small travel kit.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How did it go? I feel invested in your success now.
It did not work out.
I shot 2 quarters with the EM1 and 2 quarters with the D7200.

The faster continuous rate did help, thanks :)
I need more practice to track better with the EVF.

But the frozen last frame after a burst kept messing up my follow up shots. I am trying to change my style of shooting to shoot LONGER bursts. As soon as I released the shutter, the action changed, but the screen was frozen. I found I was using my left eye to try to keep the camera pointed in the right direction, but I could not keep the AF point on the subject or new subject when the EVF was frozen, so I lost time reaquiring the subject.

I am going to try another soccer game on Sat, IF I don't get rained out.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
It did not work out.

But the frozen last frame after a burst kept messing up my follow up shots. I am trying to change my style of shooting to shoot LONGER bursts. As soon as I released the shutter, the action changed, but the screen was frozen. I found I was using my left eye to try to keep the camera pointed in the right direction, but I could not keep the AF point on the subject or new subject when the EVF was frozen, so I lost time reaquiring the subject.

Understandable. I've never tried to shoot basketball.

I tried out a Nikon D7500 at Costco today. I forgot how bad the the viewfinder blackout was on DSLRs. It is a tradeoff between a smooth 9fps with the pause at the end vs a choppy viewfinder. I've gotten used to the E-M1 and the pause doesn't bother me. In fact, I had to look for it once I understood what you meant.

Last edited:

bjurasz

Mu-43 Veteran
But the frozen last frame after a burst kept messing up my follow up shots.
You can change that setting (don't remember where) so that the EVF is always live and never sticks at the last shot taken. I have that as part of my setting for sports shooting.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
You can change that setting (don't remember where) so that the EVF is always live and never sticks at the last shot taken. I have that as part of my setting for sports shooting.
He has that set properly already. Take a look at post #167 in this thread. I recorded the back of my E-M1 while shooting at 9fps and there is a slight pause at the end of each burst. To be honest, I had never noticed it until he pointed it out.

Pyro451

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I shot my son's varsity games this year with my EM5 MKII and Oly 40-150 Pro. Most of the time the lighting allowed for ISO6400, f/2.8, 1/800. I'm not real pleased with the grain at 6400. Can't wait for Oly to release a dual ISO body (MKIII??).

@Auburn

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I shot my son's varsity games this year with my EM5 MKII and Oly 40-150 Pro. Most of the time the lighting allowed for ISO6400, f/2.8, 1/800. I'm not real pleased with the grain at 6400. Can't wait for Oly to release a dual ISO body (MKIII??).

@Auburn
Yup, high school fields have BAD lighting for photography.
Makes me glad that back when I was in HS, we had Saturday afternoon games . . . with LOTS of SUNLIGHT :D

ooooo a nice HIGH ISO Olympus would be cool. As long as I can afford it.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular

@Auburn
HS sports are tough. My son has another season with JV. They play before the varsity so I get a little better light. I'm thinking of getting a 75mm F1.8 and shooting closer action. F1.8 would get you under ISO3200 in the same situation.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
It did not work out.

Any luck using the E-M1 with soccer?

Pyro451

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
HS sports are tough. My son has another season with JV. They play before the varsity so I get a little better light. I'm thinking of getting a 75mm F1.8 and shooting closer action. F1.8 would get you under ISO3200 in the same situation.
Most (all) of the shots I took were from the sideline. Can't get much closer to the action. You can browse the focal lengths in that album to get a feel for how often 75mm would work for you. I found it extremely valuable to be able to pull back to 40mm when the action rapidly moved my way (lens is faster than my feet).

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Any luck using the E-M1 with soccer?
The faster frame rate seemed to help, or was it in my mind?

But the frozen last image of the burst keeps frustrating me.
Part may be just my style of shooting.
Like when I shoot a player passing/kicking the ball to another player.
I shoot the kicker, lift my finger, switch to the receiver, then shoot again (IF I decide it is worth shooting the receiver).
The problem is when I lift my finger, the screen pauses, and I loose tracking ability to the receiver.
I have not gotten the knack of HOLDING the shutter down.
Tonight is the last soccer game of the season, but I have to pass.
The old man is worn out and needs to rest.

Lacrosse starts up after mid-winter break. Going to be like soccer, but with a smaller and harder to see ball.

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
Most (all) of the shots I took were from the sideline. Can't get much closer to the action. You can browse the focal lengths in that album to get a feel for how often 75mm would work for you. I found it extremely valuable to be able to pull back to 40mm when the action rapidly moved my way (lens is faster than my feet).
Here is an example from soccer last season at 1/800, F2.8, ISO6400. I have less grain. I'm wondering if you are underexposing a bit a raising the brightness in post. It seems like you are shooting in darker conditions but getting the same exposure settings. Or, it could be noise reduction settings. I am shooting with an E-M1.1.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 75 is in the range of the 35mm film primes we used to use for football (135-200), so should work fine.
But, I understand that the AF on the 75 is NOT fast. That may be a problem. See if you can rent one, to check out the AF speed. Though I will admit that it is hard to simulate the fast sport action . . . maybe shooting a dog running and playing in the yard.

I have been tempted to use a prime on the field, as I do in the gym, but the zoom works better for me. In high school, we used, primes, but we also had a team of 3-6 photographers to cover the field, so the action being on the other side of the field was not a problem. We had one of the guys on that side of the field. It is much tougher as an individual with a prime.

Like when I use my prime in the gym, or when I shot with primes in high school, you will be restricted in what you can shoot. Some stuff will be too close for that lens, oh well. You can always crop into the long shots.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agree, with caution.
I shot with a 18-140 on an APS-C camera, and it was GREAT when they came in close to the sideline. But it was also DANGEROUS, as the wide angle distorted reality and the players got VERY close before I moved out of the way, and that risked a collision with the players.
The longer short end of the 70-200, forces me to stop shooting and get out of the way sooner.
Some of those kids can move FAST.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No doubt you need to be aware on the sidelines. I had more than a few close calls.
+1 on that, several times over.
And at my age, I can't afford to get hit; my reaction time is SLOWER, I move SLOWER, my body is not as strong, and healing takes LONGER.

And I got hurt without getting hit.

We were playing at another school.
A bunch of football players were headed right at me.
I decided that it was a good time to "get out of there."
When I turned, my foot was kinda stuck in the grass, so my foot did not turn as my upper body and hip turned. And I twisted my knee.
3-1/2 months later, it still hurts. Probably another 3 months to recover, and then not fully.

I normally shoot on artificial turf, where I can move my feet easily.
Shooting football on grass was/is very abnormal for me.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Yup, high school fields have BAD lighting for photography.
Makes me glad that back when I was in HS, we had Saturday afternoon games . . . with LOTS of SUNLIGHT :D

ooooo a nice HIGH ISO Olympus would be cool. As long as I can afford it.
My first college football game was mid-day in early September. It was sunny and hot. I had no idea how I would be fighting for light at the night games (which turned out to be almost all of the remainder of the season and the next season as well). I do not take good lighting for granted.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom