Restoration Help - Thornton Pickard Special Ruby Enlarger

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Has anyone had experience restoring something similar or know of a site / forum that deals with restoration of old photographic equipment.

I inherited on of these enlargers from my Grandfather many many years ago and are thinking of trying to restore it.
From web searches I found some on ebay, found many pictures but nothing on the restoration. The original lens that I have for it had a rubber diaphragm and that cant be replaced as my Grandfather tried back in his day.

The bellows has gone hard and no longer expands, I presume it cant be made soft again and I don't want to try and expand it and crack it.
Suppose I will need to make a new one if I can.

I would like to find out what the original lumination was as my grandfather added a crude electric bulb holder and added an old switch to the side of the enlarger so it is not truly in original state. I will probably keep the additions, but would like to re add the original rear black cloth curtain if I can find details of how it was used and made.

The original timber has also started to crack as the large glass elements were a bit too heavy for the way it originally mounted.

I have various pieces of old photographic equipment from my grandfather that I would like to restore when I retire in a few years time.
Or at least get them to a stable stage.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The glass elements like below in my copy are a few Kg in weight and the mounting as designed was not very strong causing the timber on my copy to crack under the load and old age

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi, if there are any Maker Spaces in your area, they might have the woodworking tools needed.
I am lucky that way, I have all the tools I need. Main thing I am missing is information on the best way to restore to keep it as original as possible and to try and find out what the missing bits are.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom