Resizing images?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by capp, Feb 19, 2010.

1. capp

capp New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2010
    I have the Olympus Master software that came with my Ep-1 but I shoot all of my photos at the largest file possible. But when I want to submit a file to upload here it turns out too big. How do I make the file smaller? Can I make it bigger to original size? I also have Windows photo software which I like better too.
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hang on capp, I'm sure help will be on the way!

I don't have any experience with Olympus Master, so I can't help you there, nor with the Windows software. I'm sure you've checked out the Housekeeping forum and the thread that discusses how to post images to threads...and then there's the gallery system, too, which has its own thread as wel. Here is the main "Housekeeping" forum:

I know that Brian Mosely is familiar with Olympus Master and will be able to help you out.
  3. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    Open the image in Master, there is then a RESIZE tool available to you. You can use that to set the file to whatever size you require, then do a File SaveAs - don't just SAVE it as you will overwrite your original.

I'm sure there will be many others, wiser than me, who will tell you the ins and outs of scaling up and down.

If you try and make a small file larger, then you are basically interpolating the information - i.e. having the program create information to "fill-in" the gaps between pixels that are spread wider apart in the new file than they were in the old one - not generally a good idea - so DON'T LOSE THE ORIGINAL
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I set up the E-P1 for my daughter to use earlier... configured to shoot RAW + small super fine jpegs.

I'll archive the raw files for our family record - and she can use the high quality 1024 x 768 resolution jpegs for facebook / whatever she wants.

You can change the saved image type in the quick status screen and also using the menus.

The menu option is covered in this video at around 2:08 :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Most software will introduce some softening when resizing to a smaller size. Thus the addition of a touch of sharpening is often necessary to maintain apparent sharpness after downsizing. Many web gallery providers (Flickr, PBase, Smugmug, Zenfolio, etc) do this automatically for you. I use Flickr to backup my full-res versions and take advantage of the Flickr "large" version (provided automatically) for uploading to mu-43.
  6. BBW

Amin do you do that in the gallery, too? I wasn't quite sure on how it would work there due to Flickr's wanting the image link used... I agree that I prefer Flickr's image quality when resizing.
  7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Apart from re-sizing I also optimise any images that I post, i.e. I use photoshop to save the image for the web at a size of 50kb to a max of 150kb
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I do it the very low tech way:

• Upload the full-res version to Flickr
    • Go to the large size view in Flickr and click on "Download the Large Size" just above the photo (see attachment)
    • Upload the file that I just downloaded from Flickr to my mu-43 gallery

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Oh, OK, I have do that fairly often. And it does often appear better that way. I was misconstruing the means by which you were doing that.:redface:
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There is a way to do it directly by having our gallery software copy it from the Flickr page, but that is a bit more complicated, and I don't know if I even have that feature enabled for all members.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    There is a great free download called "Irfanview", I use this to resize my Tiff files and save as JPEG's.

It is a great tool that retains the majority of the detail intact and gives plenty of options and most importantly - it's free!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. scon4061

scon4061 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2010
    I use the save for web feature in Photoshop. I've always done it that way. I don't know if this is the correct way or not but they generally look ok. (I think).
  13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I was going to recommend Irfanview, but as it already has been, I will second its use.

It can also do some really basic editing (clone tool and text on picture) but its real strengths are:

1) its free
    2) its fast
    3) its easy to drive

just Ctl + r and you've in the resize dialog

I use it to do up instructions on things which I screen grab ... for instance in this image I used it for pasting the screen grab into, cropping out what I don't want, adding diagram descriptions and resizing for compact view to load faster on a browser:

its a great tool
  14. capp

capp New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2010
    Thanks BartonFlyer, you have been helpful. I got it now. I will post my first one in the contest and see how big it turns out.
  15. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    and a great batch tool too
  16. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  17. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    What a great idea.....why didnt i think of doing this. I guess i just thought that the bigger the jpeg size the better the jpeg image but if they are only being shown with a max res of 1024x768 online it makes sense rather than resize a big one which will lose quality.
    So this way i will keep the quality of the original jpeg picture when uploading to here.:thumbup: