1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Resize and sharpen your images for the web.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    works beautifully. thank you :thumbup:

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    TBH, second image looks oversharpened to me.. though cannot check it in bigger size without Yahoo login.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You should always do final sharpen for the final output resolution, the radius, amount, etc will depend on what resolution you're outputting. The sharpening setting during RAW development should not be considered sufficient for final output, if it is, you've over sharpened too early.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    To clarify then, are you advocating the method or anti.

6. wjiang

Advocating the general concept, but noting that the level of sharpening needs to be adjusted for resolution.

7. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Can you elaborate on that? What is the difference between sharpening during editing and sharpening for final output? What are the factors that need to be kept in mind? Any tutorials you can recommend?

8. wjiang

As always, these guys say it much better:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-sharpening.htm

In their terms, my notion of editing sharpening is actually a combination of 2 things: capture sharpening and creative sharpening (makes sense actually). The concept of output sharpening is the same.

One thing to note is that some applications will do output sharpening for you as part of the interpolation process (e.g. Bicubic Sharper (reduction) in Photoshop), but you may not get control over how much.

9. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    OK, many thanks for that....and yes, I read it, well most of it anyway :blush:

What the average 'Joe' is looking for is a practical way, in simple terms, of producing images for the web i.e. photographic forums.

If one follows the Robin Wongs doctrine for processing..
    http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/my-post-processing-for-blogging-purposes.html

then one 'ought' to wind up with fabulous quality images for web display.
    I've tried and I don't.

If one further inspect RW's output for the web...
    http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/olympus-mzuiko-7-14mm-f28-pro-lens.html

they will find some of the best quality web images they have ever seen.

IMVHO....RW has a secret that he is not sharing with us, they are that good.

Does any one know of an instruction sheet, tutorial or similar for producing such images that I can only dream of, and that's after spending a fortune on Oly PRO lenses.

The best process for "me" at present is the one I have mentioned, but it is no where up to RW's standard.

It would appear that RW is using the same glass as me.

Despondent Dave.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  10. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    After reading this thread, I googled sharpening to learn a bit more. I found this tutorial and learnt a bit about the different types of sharpening and, in particular, the workflow. I haven't had Lightroom long and didn't know about the different sharpening presets for printing or screen use in the Export options.

http://layersmagazine.com/sharpening-workflow-in-lightroom.html

11. wjiang

Test dog - these are 100% 600x800 resizes.

1) Bicubic (ubiquitous typical resize algorithm).
    bicubic.

2) Bicubic sharper (reduction) from Photoshop.
    bicubic-sharper.

3) Bicubic as 1), but with 200% 0.3 radius Unsharp Mask.
    bicubic-usm.

12. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Why not just use Lightroom?

14. wjiang

Not sure why this is a competition... besides, he has a totally different lens, with a totally different subject, lighting, etc. To match subject, view and lighting a bit more, here's a shot with the Samyang fish-eye, to compare with his UWA Night Sky Shoot Test:
    D5230049ep.

In general though, what is it specifically that you feel is special? Until you can define your goal, it will be impossible to achieve.

15. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I do, LR6 and PSE13.