1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Resetting Back Focus on E-M1 after v.4.1 FW Upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I held off on upgrading from FW v3.x to v4.1 for some time, but now that I have the 40-150 and a trip coming up soon, I decided to dot he FW upgrade. I used the spreadsheet to mark all of my settings and all (mostly) went well. But, I had previously set up my E-M1 to allow continuous AF when the AEL/AFL was set in the Lever 2 position based on these two articles and a LuLa article that is no longer available publically: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3613340 and Mirrorless Madness: Corrected: Olympus OM-D E-M1 (and E-M5II) Back Button Focus .

I am not sure if these instruction need tweaking to get this working right as I do not seem to have C-AF in the Lever 2 position. I am alos now wondering if I need to tweak these settings to take advantage of the new FW and the 40-150. I have yet to find the best combination allowing me traditional AF on the shutter with adjustments made at the AF dial on the power lever, continuous AF in the AEL/AFL Lever 2 position when I have moving subjects that I want to follow, and a good setting for fast moving subjects like BIF (or a lion dance ceremony around the lunar New Year, for example). I remember reading a number of suggestions about which settings seemed to maximize the hardware and firmware in v.3.x, but am wondering if that has now changed in v.4.1. The choices seem overwhelming and one small mistake can render the whole set-up a mess. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated as I have a bit of time before heading out on our trip, and I do not want to be experimenting then.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Flip the lever down, then use the top left button or super control panel to select CAF. Your camera will remember that down is CAF. (Since it used to work, I'm assuming other required settings are set right).

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Settings menu -> B. Button/Dial/Lever -> Lever function -> Mode 5.
    Move the Lever to position you desire -> set AF mode using SCP or menus and it will be remembered.

I generally use MF with back button focus on one position, and AF-C (back button) or AF-S (Normal) on the other. I keep AF-S completely normal so if needed for some reason I can hand a camera to someone and it will generally react as most people expect when pressing the shutter button.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I wonder if you might be making this more complicated than it is. The way I have it set up is when in S-AF mode the shutter button works normally as does the AEL/AFL button (so Mode 1 on page 102 of the manual).

For C-AF I switched it from Mode 2 to Mode 4 which makes it so the shutter button does nothing else but take the photo (does not AF, does not meter exposure, etc.). And the AEL/AFL now works as the AF button. If you press and hold it, it will continuously auto focus. If you want to single auto focus, you simply press it to get focus and let go. Mode 3 does the same thing but allow the shutter button half press to lock exposure as well. At any rate, but setting to Mode 3 or Mode 4, when using C-AF you using back button focus.

That one change of the C-AF mode gives you both types of auto focusing. When in S-AF mode your shutter button works normally (half press focuses) and switching to C-AF gives you back button focusing. No need to even save a separate "back button focus" My Mode.

EDITED TO ADD: I use the lever in position 2 to switch to manual focus mode which I use much more often than back button focusing. So for me, using the super control panel to change from S-AF to C-AF is fine as I don't need to do it often and don't need to do it quickly. Where as I may have a need to quickly change to manual focus mode.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are you sure you do not mean Mode 5?

--Ken

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I do have Mode 5 set in the B. menu as I did before, but the camera was showing MF and no focus was happening when I hit the AEL/AFL button in the Lever 2 position. As I want that position to be MF if I do not hit the button and C-AF (or C-AF tracking?) when I do, I am not sure if having both on on e lever position is possible. I thought it was and I may have to play around a bit with my choices (as well as possibly the AEL/AFL settings in A. menu).

But the second question is what type of continuous focus is the best setting for the E-M1? C-AF or C-AF tracking? And IIRC, there was a difference in the frame rate for the high speed setting that impacted the AF system.

--Ken

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    OK. I think I have most of it set as desired. Right now, Lever 1 position allows me S-AF + MF on the shutter. The Lever 2 position allow me MF and if I press the AEL/AFL button, I have S-AF (decoupled from the shutter). Now, if I want some type of continuous AF I need to go back to the Lever 1 position and then select C-Af or C-AF tracking from the top deck power button control. That seems fine for me as it is logical to my mind.

The issue I am still trying to figure out is the best continuous AF settings. The tracking seems a bit slow to keep up so I am inclined to just use C-AF, but I am not sure if that is getting me the best of the E-M1's capabilities. And for th life of me, I cannot remember how the FPS settings impact AF capabilities. If I can get this resolved, then I think that I can just practice until I am comfortable with the camera's response.

--Ken

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The biggest change with continuous low/high frame rates is low will give a period of imaging between shots allowing you to see the subject while high will generally have more viewfinder blackout to push the frame rate higher (it will show playback of the previous shot if enabled, however it's always going to be at least one frame behind).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    No, I am talking about the AEL/AFL setting in the A menu under AF/MF menu. You are talking about the Lever setting in Menu B. Different thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is a difference in Record View between the two though as C-AF Hi shows Record View between frames & aiming at the subject using that means you will be focussing behind the moving subject (this is where the EE-Dot Sight can be useful) whereas C-AF Lo shows Live View (preview) between shots (I think I have that the right way round).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Now let's not go make this complicated with facts now that I have my mind made up! o_O

I was wondering about the A. menu settings and their impact on AF settings in the B. menu and the lever settings. I suspect that in order to gain some function in this setting change another function is lost. I have no objection to this trade-off, but would like to better understand what one change does across the system in combination with other changes. The number of iterations is extensive, and while I like customization, I would like a bit better explanations of some of the settings.

For example, this was a piece from Mirrorless Maddness on the subject (bold/underlined emphasis mine):

There are also two other settings required for this to work. First, you must keep the AEL/AFL Button configured to AEL/AFL: Custom Menu B - Button Function - AEL/AFL Function - AEL/AFL. Second, go to Custom Menu A - AEL/AFL, press the OK Button, select MF and press OK again. Now, set MF to mode 3 and press OK one more time. If you also like using Back Button Focus when in S-AF, then set S-AF to mode 3, also. BUT, if you set S-AF to mode 3, you lose the AEL functionality of the AEL/AFL button when the lever is in position 1.

I need some quiet time to further fine tune the settings to see if I can find a better arrangement than I have currently set up. Nonetheless,despite my frustration, I do appreciate your suggestion as it may bear me some fruit.

--Ken

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Ken,
    I've always had better luck with C-AF without the tracking. I also use small focus points and use the minimum number of focus targets that fits my situation. The frame rate (low/high continuous shooting) issue was pretty much resolved for me through the various firmware updates, however I also do not have any review of recorded images showing at any time. There is another setting for the refresh rate of the EVF, and I ended up leaving that at the default - it seemed any changes didn't bring any more positive results.

Also for manual focus, since I'm often shooting with the lenses that have the clutch manual focus or the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 that can be manually focused at any time - I don't worry about camera settings for manual focus or S-AF+Man.

If you have the lever alternatives working for you and makes sense, then work with that. I wanted to avoid the complication so my E-M1 is set up that when I set the camera in C-AF the Fn1 button controls focusing, when pressing it is in C-AF and I can keep shooting while it stays with continuous focus and locks when I let up on the button. If I want S-AF its just a matter of pressing the button and as soon as it locks I release the button and shoot.

I hope you get everything working the way you want. The camera is now complicated enough there seems to several ways to achieve the same thing - just complicating the issues even more. I can find a link to the pdf file on how I set up my camera if you want - but if you have things working the way you want, just go with it!

13. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Yeap, that's what I was trying to say when I said High will be a frame behind, it's showing the last picture you took not the current framing (it can also be more than a frame behind and thus show framing from several shots ago if you're doing long bursts).

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    From having shot sports with Nikon, my preference is to be able to see what is happening during a burst, regardless of whether the camera has locked focus or not. From what you and Ross are saying, it sounds like I need to dial back from High to Low. I thought that one of the last FW updates allowed continuous focusing at a higher frame rate; it is a shame that you cannot see that in the EVF. I suppose you could do a variation on spray and pray, but I like to think of that as a last resort whenever possible as it is not a substitute for good technique.

--Ken

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    So long as I know what is going on, I can be content for not having an optimal button arrangement when we head out on vacation. I will probably have to read and play with the settings to better understand my options when time permits. I appreciate customization, but too many minimally documented choices can certainly make for frustration, especially when you do not frequently change complicated arrangements. This is one of the reasons that I do not like lending out my primary camera bodies.

Thanks,

--Ken

16. Ross the fiddler

It is the C-AF Hi that has the improved use, albeit with that caveat. However, there is a better way of keeping track of your subject when using a telephoto lens & that is with the EE-1 Dot Sight

000058184. E-M5IIdotsight.
    And check out the video from ML here.

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Ken, the E-M1 with recent firmware can do 9 or 9.5 FPS in C-AF Low, with the right options set.
    I don't remember if there are any extra limitations vs 6 FPS.

Barry

18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can't remember either. The day I get this all memorized will be the day that Olympus or Panasonic releases a new body that calls to me! Rinse and repeat.

--Ken

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ross the fiddler

It is FW update 3.0 that included that, except C-AF Low is going to be doing a low frame rate, not "9 or 9.5 FPS" as that is what happens in C-AF Hi.
    Found here in the info for all updates to date. Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Thanks Ross... seems I misremembered a bit... C-AF is possible now at 9FPS, but it's in HI mode, which I guess means there may be more blackout and EVF lag?