Resell value advantage with the Samyang brand?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by feiyip, Mar 12, 2012.

1. feiyip

feiyip New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012

I'm contemplating whether spending an extra £20 to get the Samyang branded fisheye is worth it as opposed to the Walimex.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Andrew H

Andrew H New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2011
    I wondered exactly the same thing, but last week I took the plunge and bought the Walimex from Amazon here in the UK. I've done some tests on my GF1 and am delighted with the results - the lens is very sharp right across the frame at f5.6 and exhibits surprisingly little chromatic aberration which can be compensated for in Camera Raw.

As far as I am aware the only difference between the Samyang and Walimex here in the UK or Rokinon in the US is the name engraved on the lens barrel and printed on the box.
  3. Andrew H

Andrew H New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2011
    Sorry, I meant to add that I don't expect to be selling the lens any time soon so its resell value is really of no consequence to me right now, and the cheaper purchase price of the Walimex won me over!
  4. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Walimex is less well known in the UK. That brand is much better known in Germany.

Personally, I would spend the extra money because Samyang is well known in the UK as a manufacturer of high quality lenses at reasonable prices. You might think that you will never sell that lens, but I have thought that quite a few times about photo gear then proved myself wrong quite a short time after. :wink: