Request: Default sorting for lens showcase forums

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
The default sort order for the lens showcase forums (native and adapted) is alphabetical order, which makes sense. Sorting alphabetically makes those forums a really good source for researching lenses.

I would like to selfishly request that the default sort order be changed to show recently-updated threads. Or maybe set up a "Latest Lens Showcase" forum that rolls up recently-updated threads from either forum. I like browsing these forums to see images people add, especially the adapted lens threads. But to do so, I need to resort the page twice by updated date. First sort puts oldest threads first, second sort gets me the sort I want.

Changing the default sort essentially changes the primary use case for the forums. Currently, primary use case is research. With a recency sort, primary use case becomes browsing / discussing images. Both uses are possible regardless of the default sort since users can manually sort, but default sort is what most people will see and influences how people use the forum.

Just a thought :)

Thanks for the forum, as always.

haunted scrap heap
The sorting order becomes part of the URL, so you could just create yourself a bookmark with whatever your preference is. :D

MarkRyan

The sorting order becomes part of the URL, so you could just create yourself a bookmark with whatever your preference is. :D
I admit I actually do have a bookmark for it. My hope is that if it's a default, more people will use it as a place for discussion of photos/lenses, rather than just a database.

haunted scrap heap
I admit I actually do have a bookmark for it. My hope is that if it's a default, more people will use it as a place for discussion of photos/lenses, rather than just a database.
Ohhhhh, so it's a "slanty design" thing... missed that thrust in the initial post, sorry. My impression is that the lens showcase threads are there to be... well... showcases, rather than primarily discussion... but that's just an impression, and could be completely wrong. I would be interested in better understanding what the consensus is, but I'm not sure how many people will actually see this thread... unless we keep making a lot of noise... :whistling:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I wouldn't like to see too much discussion in the lens showcase threads - a little Q/A and feedback is nice but it shouldn't get sidetracked from showing images.

A parallel specific lens users section under gear sections might be more appropriate for user discussion on a topic.

MarkRyan

I don't think it would change the forum dramatically. Would just be easier to find new images, give feedback, and ask about the lenses being used.

Phocal

God
Please no, the current default is much easier to find images from a particular lens. I use it a lot when I am interested in a lens and don't want to have to deal with some sort of random ordering based on what lens gets used most by forum users.

Latest threads

Top Bottom