Report on EM1 + 12-40 pro in the wet.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 350duser, May 2, 2015.

1. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I recently completed the Inca Trail, trekking 4 days thru the Andes to Machhu Pichhu. I took along the EM1 with 12-40 pro. I carried this combination on a Peak Design Capture clipped on my Backpack strap. The camera was uncovered and exposed to the elements.

We went thru ecosystems ranging from rain forest to an altitude of 4200mts crossing the Dead Womans Pass. We encountered the blazing sun as well as driving rain.

The camera/lens combo handled the elements reasonably well.
    There were 2 issues:
    Occasionally I needed to remove the battery to reset the camera for no good reason.

More annoyingly, the post element in the lens would fog up at times requiring disconnecting the lens from the body.

Overall very happy with the performance of this "Pro" combination.

Any hints on avoiding the fogging would be helpful.
    • Like Like x 11
  2. nemezote

nemezote New to Mu-43

May 8, 2015
    Glad to hear it worked wonders for you!

I'd like to see some more pics of you dont mind.

Also, quick question, since you had the camera exposed to the elements the whole time, did you notice any "gren/yellow blobs" on your EVF?

Supposedly they are caused by exposure to the sun through the EVF, possibly greatly amplified when the dioptre adjustment is at any of the extremes.

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congratulations on completing the trail. The highlight for me was really the whole experience of the trek and the camping rather than the destination.

I recently had my E-M1 and 12-40mm in the snow and rain where it survived just fine, but one thing I have found with the E-M1 and to a lesser extent my old E-M5 is that while the cameras may be appropriately sealed, the external design of them is such that they holds moisture against the body. A non-sealed Canon EOS 600D in the same conditions (albeit used more sparingly),with it's smooth, rounded exterior just shed the water off and was very quick to dry off afterwards with a microfibre cloth. By comparison, it took me ages to attempt to dry off my E-M1.

The E-M1 isn't an attractive camera by any stretch of the imagination, so the exterior of the camera could have been designed such that it repelled water through it's form as well as it's seals.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    No blobs on the evf at all.

More pics on the way!! Thanks
  5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Completely agree LP. The trek was just fantastic. The terrain, the steps, the various ecological systems u go thru....amazing. Did not have issues with the EM1 drying out. I guess i did not worry about it!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Because the camera was on a capture clip on my backpack strap it was never really close to skin/clothes.
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    In high humidity with ascending and descending mountains the temperature changes will cool the lens in higher elevation and when you descend to a lower hotter elevation the condensation will be expected. It happened to me in Costa Rica. It soon resolves itself as the temperature equilibrates.
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    looking forward to the other pics!
  8. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD

A few for you Hazwing
    Cusco main town square

[​IMG]Panorama1.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

Cusco from St. Cristobal

[​IMG]Panorama1-2.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

The streets of Cusco

[​IMG]The streets of Cusco. by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

Saqsaywaman, an Inca site

[​IMG]P4180375.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

The start of the trek

[​IMG]P4190035.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

On the trek

[​IMG]P4190073.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

Sunrise on day 2

[​IMG]P4200131.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

The descent from Dead Womans Pass

[​IMG]P4210321.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

One of the mountains along the way

[​IMG]P4220462.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

First sighting

[​IMG]P4220601.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr

Macchu Pichu

[​IMG]P4220605.jpg by Amod Karnik, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 17
  9. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    Are these edited from raw or jpegs? If jpegs, what settings do you use? Enjoyed the pix and thank you for sharing :)
  10. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nice pics!

I did a write up of my weather sealing tests from the Thai new year festival last year (worlds largest water fight, pretty much). Can't say I noticed any fogging of any element, though, the weather conditions I dealt with wer eprobably quite different to your.

I have noticed the random must remove battery thing, too, though that seems to just happen whenever...

BTW - love the "Streets of Cusco" pic, in particular.

11. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    GoPro has anti fog inserts that are pretty small that you can adhere to the inside of the mount of the E-M1. You might just have to trim it a little. These desiccant packs help prevent condensation inside the mount.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    Some very fine shots! Wish I were young enough to do it! I'm very glad the combo you took held up; it's my met used camera/lens combo.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Thanks for looking.

All pics are editied from RAW and then sent to Flickr (as Jpegs).
  14. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    How do we mount these inside the lens mount and avoid them interfering with the image? The Go Pro guys put them in the housing of the camera.
  15. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    You can adhere the anti fog to the inner part of the mount. There is a black space between the sensor and the mount. You can put it there without impacting images. I'll have to shoot a photo of the spot. I've used it with large temperature changes which cause the condensation in Hawaii and in Hong Kong.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    @Whtrbt7@Whtrbt7 - please do show us this spot and if you've actually done this, the desiccant packs and how you trimmed it.

@350duser@350duser - cool pictures, thanks for sharing. My wife and I want to do this within the next 4-5 years. Can't wait.
    • Like Like x 1