Report from my recent travel to parallel world

apete

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Piotr
I had a pleasure to travel to the parallel world recetnly. I have a lot of impressions, I made a lot of notes. Unfortunately, it turned out that the pendrive that they gave me and to which I downloaded some interesting data is incompatible with our computers. It could be that while our computer bit can be a value of 0 or 1, their bit could be 0, 1/3 and 3.14159265359 instead. Anyway, a lot of information is lost and I am now based on my unreliable memory and some short notes. Sorry for that.

Coming to the heart, however, what surprised me during my observations is that while in our reality there are many hobby photographers, in the parallel world people are passionate about ... hand writing poetry and prose. Countless websites, including forums, on various forms of writing. They love this topic, and despite the fact that writing for me is so distant, I was eager to have some notes about it. After all I spent there a few evenings browsing their internet, which interestingly is pretty similar to our one.

What caught my attention is that people in the parallel world pay great attention to prose and poetry hand writing. I have never thought that someone having idea for a book would spend that much time considering what pen he should use to write. Meanwhile, the whole forums and discussions are devoted to discussions about types of pencils, ballpens and feather pens. They are having endless deliberations on how a given ballpen is pen, at what maximum speed the pen can be pulled across the paper to still get a continuous line. But the subject of line thickness is an absolute hit! They have a portal there, it's called "prumors.com" (it stands for "pen rumors" I think?) on which there are leaks from pen manufacturers. In the latest entry I read that apparently one of the beloved and most popular pen manufacturers, "Panon", plans to release a pen with a line diameter of 2% narrower than the line of their current thinnest pen! This is a topic for countless discussions on writing forums, where writers suddenly noticed that their current pen collections are completely unusable for writing books, and the 2% reduction of the line thickness will allow them to create a work that is much more interesting for end readers! The new rumored pen is even called a game changer in the world of poetry and prose! Interestingly, in the race for thinnest, which is cosidered to be one of few most important factors for successful writing, "Panon", "Pikon" and "Pony" companies excel, while another producers are unable to keep up. "Pympus" and "Pasonic" opted for the possibility of writing prose in the rain - their pens are more resistant to weather conditions and far more comfortable to hold. But their Youtubers do not recognize "Pympus" and "Pasonic" as being worth speaking of, claiming that the lines produced by "Pympus" and "Pasonic" pens are not thin enough to make impression on end readers. I am telling you guys, I could not sleep for a few nights trying to get why the thickness of the pen's line decides about the quality of poetry and prose?

Well, I saw there users who did not boast about what they wrote at all, instead they discussed how cheap pens are good for nothing, what wide collections of expensive pens they have, what narrow their pens' lines are, how quickly they can pull the pens to get a continuous line... and no single samples of their prose and poetry! Oh, one more I forgot, they are even deliberating how quick they can write with a pen! There is a "P-benchmark" topic to discuss on how many "P" letters per minute they can write, and based on that they rate how much the pen is worth! And guess what? The best seems to be recently released "Pony PalPha 1". But some "Pikon P9" is coming according to prumors site. I have no idea how that relates to quality poetry and prose? What's the buzz about? This logic is completely upside down for me!

Sorry for this off-topic post that is so far from our beloved photography, just wanted to share with you my thoughts in the "Other Discussions" section. Hope admins do not delete this prose and poetry post...

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I had a pleasure to travel to the parallel world recetnly. I have a lot of impressions, I made a lot of notes. Unfortunately, it turned out that the pendrive that they gave me and to which I downloaded some interesting data is incompatible with our computers. It could be that while our computer bit can be a value of 0 or 1, their bit could be 0, 1/3 and 3.14159265359 instead. Anyway, a lot of information is lost and I am now based on my unreliable memory and some short notes. Sorry for that.

Coming to the heart, however, what surprised me during my observations is that while in our reality there are many hobby photographers, in the parallel world people are passionate about ... hand writing poetry and prose. Countless websites, including forums, on various forms of writing. They love this topic, and despite the fact that writing for me is so distant, I was eager to have some notes about it. After all I spent there a few evenings browsing their internet, which interestingly is pretty similar to our one.

What caught my attention is that people in the parallel world pay great attention to prose and poetry hand writing. I have never thought that someone having idea for a book would spend that much time considering what pen he should use to write. Meanwhile, the whole forums and discussions are devoted to discussions about types of pencils, ballpens and feather pens. They are having endless deliberations on how a given ballpen is pen, at what maximum speed the pen can be pulled across the paper to still get a continuous line. But the subject of line thickness is an absolute hit! They have a portal there, it's called "prumors.com" (it stands for "pen rumors" I think?) on which there are leaks from pen manufacturers. In the latest entry I read that apparently one of the beloved and most popular pen manufacturers, "Panon", plans to release a pen with a line diameter of 2% narrower than the line of their current thinnest pen! This is a topic for countless discussions on writing forums, where writers suddenly noticed that their current pen collections are completely unusable for writing books, and the 2% reduction of the line thickness will allow them to create a work that is much more interesting for end readers! The new rumored pen is even called a game changer in the world of poetry and prose! Interestingly, in the race for thinnest, which is cosidered to be one of few most important factors for successful writing, "Panon", "Pikon" and "Pony" companies excel, while another producers are unable to keep up. "Pympus" and "Pasonic" opted for the possibility of writing prose in the rain - their pens are more resistant to weather conditions and far more comfortable to hold. But their Youtubers do not recognize "Pympus" and "Pasonic" as being worth speaking of, claiming that the lines produced by "Pympus" and "Pasonic" pens are not thin enough to make impression on end readers. I am telling you guys, I could not sleep for a few nights trying to get why the thickness of the pen's line decides about the quality of poetry and prose?

Well, I saw there users who did not boast about what they wrote at all, instead they discussed how cheap pens are good for nothing, what wide collections of expensive pens they have, what narrow their pens' lines are, how quickly they can pull the pens to get a continuous line... and no single samples of their prose and poetry! Oh, one more I forgot, they are even deliberating how many letters per minute they can write! There is a "P-bechmark" topic to discuss on how many "P" letters per minute they can write, and based on that they rate how much the pen is worth! And guess what? The best seems to be recently released "Pony PalPha 1". But some "Pikon P9" is coming according to prumors site. I have no idea how that relates to quality poetry and prose? What's the buzz about? This logic is completely upside down for me!

Sorry for this off-topic post that is so far from our beloved photography, just wanted to share with you my thoughts in the "Other Discussions" section. Hope admins do not delete this prose and poetry post...
The true poets among them, when they get the sudden urge to jot a bit of verse during an inspiring walk in the countryside, will no doubt opine that “the best pen is the one you have with you.”

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
I expect their internet trolls had a habit of saying, "F Pens!" Eh?

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Perhaps your experience explains this verse, which I came across on one of those "poetry" sites, marked as a "test poem."

There once was an alien being
who much preferred writing to seeing.
It couldn't quite ken
the choice of a pen,
which wasn't too terribly freeing.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I loved it. Very amusing and clever. Well done.
My pen is all fat, thumbs really.

Real Name
Andrew L
An excellent read, despite the obvious missed opportunity to call out the company "Penasonic."

I'm not a geek about my lens but I do appreciate a good one. I have a few fountain pens which I've smuggled from that parallel world, nothing too fancy but I'm partial to Kaweco's Sport model. I need fine or extra fine nibs because I'm left handed and laying down a minimal amount of ink is the only way I can avoid smudging. But it is oh so satisfying to write with such a pen, and on nice paper. I think a distant relation may have come from said parallel world.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have also visited this parallel world, sucked into it via the Wonderland rabbit hole, and I own a very modest collection of fountain pens as a result, few of which I actually now use (my best one was a J. Herbin refillable roller ball demonstrator pen)! Same with the art pencils parallel world, which I feverishly explored when I was drawing gumleaves with the passion of a disciple - I loved the Derwent Drawing colour pencils, and Prismacolor were worthy of the rave reviews.

You make an excellent point, however - and I'm not just referring to the end of your writing tool of choice. Gas is not only the curse of photography types!

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
As a fountain pen and dip pen writer, I know of what you speak.
And there are some REAL snobs in the pen world. flex flex flex :dash2:
And of course paper is a major factor. You can't write on "any" paper, it has to be the good stuff.

BTW, there was a cartoon, where the grandparents would write notes in cursive, which the grandkids could not read.
Much like parents would speak in a foreign language, so that the kids could not understand what they were talking about.

Real Name
Andrew L
Field Notes makes good paper, their Signature series notebook has been my jam the last year or so.

Pen snobs are taking it a little too far. Cheap and cheerful fountain pens instantly up the cool factor of handwriting and are just pleasant to use. I usually have a Kaweco Sport in hand but the Parker Jotter fountain pen is a really nice inexpensive one as well. I actually lost one of those, and just got a replacement a little while ago.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Field Notes makes good paper, their Signature series notebook has been my jam the last year or so.

Pen snobs are taking it a little too far. Cheap and cheerful fountain pens instantly up the cool factor of handwriting and are just pleasant to use. I usually have a Kaweco Sport in hand but the Parker Jotter fountain pen is a really nice inexpensive one as well. I actually lost one of those, and just got a replacement a little while ago.

I see you have not been in contact with them.
Pens less than $100, are "cheap" and not worthy.
Pens with non-flexing nib, not interesting. And there are a bunch of these flex guys out there.
etc, etc.

Me I'm happy with my old Sheaffer school pen, a fountain pen.

Last edited:

JiLes

Mu-43 Regular
Nothing is like a pencil. Lead pencil, I mean. But then you need a good knife for sharpening. And you have to know, if you are right-hand-man, but use to sharpen your pencil against your thump, you need a knife made for left-hand-guy. And then you need an eraser, too.

Real Name
Andrew L
As a left handed, I just can't write with pencil, it smudges too much. I never perfected the fully crooked-over wrist for writing, I just rely on quick drying ink and smaller paged notebooks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom