1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replicating pinhole art filter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jim, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Hi

I really love the clarity and colours of the pinhole art filter. I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to achieve the same but without actually using the art filter. The reason being that I want to take pictures like that but without the shading around the corners of the image.

I think the images are fairly high contrast as the blacks seem very black indeed. So I have started by turning the contrast up, I can adjust sharpness and of course the aperture. But that's about as far as my knowledge goes. Anybody got any more tips?

Also I find that the image on the screen when using pinhole and soft focus stutters i.e. Less frames per second. Is this normal?

Thanks
    looking forward to some helpful answers.
    Jim

2. Safwan

Safwan New to Mu-43

May 22, 2010
    Brunei
    I'm new to the E-P2 and not that much into post-processing. But at a glance, I'd say up the contrast, add a touch of warmth, desaturate the colors to your satisfaction, plus a sprinkling of preferred color hue, and underexpose by a healthy amount.

Only tried this out quickly in Lightroom for a couple minutes but I think it's about right. Might be missing out on some things though.

The camera live view stutters on mine too in certain art filter modes. I think it's normal as the CPU just isn't quick enough to process the video on the fly lag-free.

3. kråkvinkel

kråkvinkel New to Mu-43

If you hvae photoshop, shoot in raw, open up the image in Camera Raw. There´s a lever in the basic tab which allows you to up the blackness, called Blacks. Then go to the Camera Callibration tab and desaturate the different colours, and play with the hue of them.

To up the contrast you can click the Tone Curve tab, click the "Point" tab in it, and select the "strong contrast" preset instead of the default "medium contrast".

I haven´t shot much in the pinhole mode, but as an avid pinholer (mediumformat, largeformat pinhole cameras), that´s what I´d do to replicate the effect.

/Kråkvinkel