1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replacement ring for 45mm f/1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jamespetts, Sep 17, 2012.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Unfortunately, I recently lost the front ring (the plastic one that covers the accessory bayonet attachment fittings) on my Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens. Does anyone know whether it is possible to obtain a replacement?

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I've seen a set of three rings(black,white,silver) available, I assume it was so the ring could match your camera. I found them on eBay for about $20.

3. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm, just looked on eBay, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps I was using the wrong keywords - what did you search for?

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  5. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
  7. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Thank you very much - bought from here in the end, although a smidgen pricey! I rather wish that the rings would be more secure.

8. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I've secured mine with a tiny amount of the stuff that they use (here in the UK at least) to attach extras onto pages in magazines. It's a clear very flexible, slightly sticky substance. With a tiny bit placed on the inside of the ring it's invisible and works well. So far it hasn't dried out and I can still remove the ring if I want to - it just takes a little more effort than none at all :)

9. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Intriguing idea! Shall have to find a magazine with an extra...

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
  11. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    It only appears to be available in the US (at least, not the UK) on the Olympus website.

12. Ranchibi

Ranchibi New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2013
    CA
    I lost mine and called Olympus...since it was under warranty they sent it free. Normally $5. Great people to deal with (U.S.).

• Like Like x 1
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bought a used 45mm without one - I didn't even realise these existed! The lens looks much sleeker with it in my opinion. Amazingly my local bricks and mortar can get them in for $18 NZD - quite reasonable given everything else is pretty pricey in NZ.

Any ideas how to get it to stay put? I have no intentions of using a hood, but don't want to glue it permanently...

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    A small piece of tape under the ring gives mine enough friction to stay put.

I eventually found the first one that I lost, or at least my lawn mower found it. Ping, and it flew out the chute with the grass, too smashed up to use again.

15. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I use a LIM's design SAH-SE37S1 lens hood. Looks great, reverses over the lens for storage AND stops the trim ring from falling off.