1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replacement parts? Specifically, LCD screen?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by icase81, Mar 4, 2011.

1. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    A few months back, on a trip home from NYC to Philly, I was the passenger in the car and fell asleep with my E-PL1 on my lap. it slid in between the seats and scratched the LCD glass. When the screen is on you can barely notice it, but it is ugly and I'd rather not look at it. I've emailed Oly to buy a new screen but they said I have to send it to them for repair. I'd rather not do that, because I've repaired plenty of similar gadgets. iPods, iPhones, Nintendo DS's, resoldered caps onto 'broken' LCD screens, laptops, etc. I don't feel the need to pay them the $150+ they want to replace a $12 part.

Does anyone have any idea where to buy such a beast? Are the screens for the E-P1 and E-P2 the same as the E-PL1? I've seen a few places that list a replacement for the E-P1 being the same as a few other Oly cams, but nothing newer than that. Thanks!

Don't let this sexy beast live life with a permanent scar on her face!

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    you can call olympus, and I think you can order the part, or you can send it in and they can replace the screen for you.

3. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    They won't sell me just the screen. I need to have it sent to them and they want $150 to replace it. I'd just as soon buy a used GH1 body for $250 and use that along with what I have.

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    But 100+ dollar is about the going price for lcd replacement. I have had point and shoot lcd replace and it was about the same price.

5. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
  6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    yup, they use a 40 dollar part and charge 60 dollar for labor.

7. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    And I don't need to pay them for labor :) I've done PLENTY of similar work in the past.

8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I think olympus well sell to repair centers. I know PC Richards have their own repair facility and do all their own expended warranty work themselves. Think right now it is pretty hard to find that screen as it is only a 1 year old camera. VS some of the older point and shoots.

9. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Yeah that was the main problem. Someone else said that that specific LCD was listed in some UK ads as a replacement for the EP-1 screen, but I haven't been able to figure out if they're the same or not. I may take it out tonight to see if the connect 'looks' the same or not.

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the ep1 screen will most likely not fit into the epl-1 2.7 inch vs the 3 inch on a ep1 and ep2.

11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    i doubt if you'll be able to find a GH1 for only $250. Regardless, as the camera still works, why don't you just wait. Eventually, they'll start poping up for sale on eBay or some other site.

12. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Have you tried to polish it? I have had good luck polishing glass and plastic using 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound meant for car paint.

If you are going to sent it off anyway, it's worth a try beforehand.

13. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Yeah, this isn't just a scratch, its a gouge. I'll snap a pic when I get home in a few minutes

And I mistyped, I meant a G1 (or a new G10 for $299), not a GH1.

14. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    The problem is they have a 'flat' repair fee, and they rarely make exceptions to that policy. The only upside is if something else beraks or you break something on the body the repair should still cost the same (not much of a silver lining I'll admit).

I did something similar to my ipod, though maybe not as severe, it got scratched. I bought a screen protector and the material actually masked the scratch to the point I can't see it. I'm not sure it will work in your case, but it might be worth a shot.