1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replacement for Sony RX100: Olympus or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by elandel, Dec 28, 2014.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all.
    I have a Sony RX100 which I would like to replace because fixed lens camera are not for me. I want something small and portable. What can you suggest? I'm thinking about something like Olympus E-PM2 - Panasonic GF5/6 - Panasonic GM1 with 12-32.
    I own E-P5 and Nikon D7100 so my 'portable' camera will be used for travel or similar when I don't want to bring the other cameras. It will be used for general photography like landscapes or architecture when travelling on holidays or when I'm walking downtown and want something small but with excellent IQ.
    Will be selling the Sony RX100 and planning to get 250-300 euros.
    Is there any rumors from Olympus planning to replace E-PM2?

Thanks.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    GM1 12-32 is the most compact of that set, and I don't see what that gets you over your RX100, TBH.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It's subjective. I just don't like fixed lens cameras even if they are zooms.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Then get the GM1 (or GM5)

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm thinking about it but don't know these cameras so was waiting for feedback on handling and IQ etc. I suppose that they don't have IBIS, right?

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Might be worth considering just adding the 12-32 lens to your existing E-P5? Obviously heavier than the GM1, and a little bigger.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Was also considering this option. Do you know how the 12-32 lens perform? My goal is to get the least expensive solution because I really use rarely the 'compact' for travel etc. but sometimes I do so I don't want to spend a lot. The GM5 would be an option but too much money that can't justify the use.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EPM2 has IBIS. GM and GF has IS in the lens. GM + 12-32 has lens IS, and is an excellent choice, and the most compact of the three. They are all reviewed on DPR and lots of talk here. If you want compact, the GM excels. I think the GF5 uses the older sensor (??).

In any of these cases, the f/stop doesn't open as wide as your RX100 on the widest angle, though you could get like a P20 to match, and get wide open. Or better the P15/1.7.

IS is largely overrated, IMO.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'll see some threads here on MU-43 that I trust most.

10. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    GM5 with the twin kit or primes

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    keep rx100, great video and stabilization. Good quality raw files and bounce-able flash. I use mine for night outings, dinners, restaurants, etc. Any m43 is much bigger. E-PM2's ibis is much worse than rx100's steady shot and it's more prone to shutter shock.

12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The advantage an M4/3 body over an RX100 only comes when you want more lenses or your preferred shooting range falls outside the 28-100mm on the RX100. So for landscape and architecture, the 24mm wide end of the GM1 with the 12-32 would be an advantage, but you'd see little-to-no improvement in low-light image quality, resolution, or dynamic range. A GM1 with a 12-32mm and the 20mm/1.7, however, would give you significant and noticeable benefits over the RX100 (even the RX100 III) - but then you're spending more money and have to switch lenses sometimes.

I would also probably recommend the GM5 over the GM1 purely for its handling benefits, but it is much more money than a used GM1 kit.

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Good idea if only the price was human: here the price is more than 800 euros. Mad.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I was considering it (GM5) but for me it is hugely overpriced. Maybe the best thing for me is, waiting for price drops, a 12-32 zoom and a compact prime like the 17mm and the E-P5 body in the meantime. When price drops to more acceptable levels for me then I can consider the GM5 which seems a very nice piece of kit.

15. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Whilst hard pressed to get rid of the RX100 III, assuming you like the viewfinder, a GM5 seems like the choice to go with indeed.

Reviewer Allison Johnson at DPrevies got it right in the GM1 review imho: "If you're looking for a little more in terms of reach or image quality, the Micro Four Thirds system has a lot to offer. For something a little longer, Olympus's 45mm F1.8 provides other options for portraiture and moderate telephoto shooting. They add bulk and cost, but they're options available to the GM1 user that a fixed lens compact like the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II (for all of its good image quality) just can't match."

So indeed, I'd leave the 12-32 well alone, you'll regret selling the RX100 because of it, but would instead bundle it with a 20mm Panny {or the 12mm Oly if you like wide+quality or Panny 14mm if you desire wide end + a compact package} and 45mm Oly.

Later on perhaps adding the beforementioned 12 or 20.. And 9mm Oly BCL (not kidding, think it gives great/fun results and makes for a truly pocketable solution on the GM's).
    And get adapters if you have legacy lenses of course.

P.s., do get a second battery with a GM. ;)
    P.p.s Considering current price of the body (though it is bigger indeed) to me the GX7 seems quite attractive at the moment Perhaps it will fit one of your pockets too? ;)

panasonic-lumix-gm1-gf6-gx7-g6-side-by-side. .

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for your suggestions. Price is my main concern. I don't really want to spend that much for a camera I'd use sporadically. Luckily I have a very good lens collection for m4/3 including 45mm and 17mm and adapters for nearly all lenses because I own many legacy lenses.

17. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
  18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. I have the E-P5 so I'm I'm ok with 'small' bodies. I'm thinking about selling my RX100 and then find how much money I must put to buy a GM5. It will be my third body - the second is a Nikon D7100 - and must be very carefull because my wife is on ambush:biggrin:

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've been using an E-P5 for a year and I still love that camera. I got a great after Christmas deal on a GM1 without lens. It was a Japanese de-kitted all black body and my existing m43s lenses work exceptionally well with this small wonder of a camera. I've ordered the Panny Grip designed for this camera to help hold the 12-40mm and the 75mm and I'm leaning towards getting the P/L 15mm to keep on the GM1 camera most of the time. Now I can shoot the E-P5 with the 12-40mm and have the GM1 with P/L 15mm for large aperture shooting or even the P/L 15mm on the E-P5 and 12-40mm on the GM1! I think even though these two cameras are as different as night and day, I believe they will work well as a combo and will compliment each other.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I was also thinking about the GM1 but here the price is still high. I was thinking about getting the 12-32 to put on my E-P5 and get a 'portable' camera but it costs half the price of the GM1 kit so I'm waiting for price drops. Maybe it will drop because the GM5 is out.