1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

replacement for mouse/trackball on windows 7 desktop and laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fdifulco, Mar 14, 2014.

1. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I need to make a change from using the mouse or trackball on windows 7 laptop/desktop because of issues with my hands. Looking for experience or suggestions for an alternate mouse or trackball. I was thinking of Intuos from Wacom and am currently doing research. My basic goal is to replace the mouse totally for windows functions (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint. For photo editing, I am using Oly Viewer 3, Lightroom 4.x, Paintshop Pro X6 on Windows 7 laptop. Suggestions and experiences would be helpful. thanks for any input
    frank

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi, I have used a Acer laptop running windows 7 for about 5 years. It is connected to a 24 inch dell monitor. I use Logitech backlit scissor styled keyboard and a Logitech trackball. I am not at home now and therefore cannot provide the model number.

The trackball is a wired design and has the ball on the left side for use with the thumb. On top is a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel. It is ideal for dual screen and reduce wrist pain significantly. The best part is the trackball is cheap at less than $35 and has endured significant use. The keyboard likewise. Logitech also make a trackball with the ball on top, but for me the side version seems more ergonomic.

Any trackball will take a little time to get used too. Dragging sliders in photo editing software also needs some practice. Having said that, I can work for hours and suffer no pain or muscle ache from constant interaction with the trackball. Every mouse I used resulted in wrist pain, shoulder pain and constant arm movement. The larger the monitor areas, the more useful trackballs become. With dual screens, they are perfect IMHO.

3. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Unfortunately I have too much experience with this. Mice and trackballs are evil.

The most ideal devices are the Cirque Glidepoint touchpads, which can work with native Windows drivers off a USB bus, so you can take them anywhere. Their advantage is that you can use them a number of ways, varying hand position, even quite successfully when standing. Many years ago they could be found in retail stores, but now must be purchased from adaptive devices dealers or other speciality firms. In Europe this means they are quite expensive.

The older serial port models were extremely robust and could work without fail for a decade, day-in, day-out. At some point they went with cheaper surface-mount technology or something. I can't be sure the reason, but the dependability of them went way down. Also, they are impossible to fix since the internal soldering is minute and uses special connectors.

I have not used any newer technologies but would welcome reports from those with RSI and other disabling conditions. In the meantime I continue with Cirque touchpads.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've only used them on Macs, but Logitech has touchpads for Windows machines that are well regarded.

5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Not used one extensively but my daughter changed to a Waycom (One of the Bamboo fun range) - we only changed it for a later 16:9 model (with touch) to match her new monitor a few years later.

She has not picked up a mouse at home since then - when we bought her a new ultrabook for college guess what was the first thing she wanted installing Yes - her Waycom.

The two models have worked flawlessly since installation (the original, now more than 5 years old, has gone to one of her friends) and have out lasted my MS or Logitech mice many times over.

6. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    Someone I used to work with who had trouble with pain in his hands switched to the 3M Ergonomic Mouse and was very happy with it. It has a vertical grip like a joystick but slides around like a mouse.

7. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    thanks for the suggestions. will see if anyone locally has items in stock to see how they work.
    frank

8. old.swede

old.swede Mu-43 Rookie

Well I made the switch from mouse to a wacom Intuos pro medium. During the first 1-3 days I nearly send it back, because it with very hard for me to adapt. After having used it for a couple of weeks now, I never use a mouse. For me the most importing thing was to set it up for my needs.
    I'm using a 17" laptop which is connected to a 27" monitor. So finding the right settings for me took a couple of days.
    Once you get used to it, you never go back.
    One thing, for my use I should have taken the small one. The movement from right to left and up to down is for me a little bit to long

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Has anyone tried the monoprice or Huion tablets? From the little research I've done, they seem to be really good - the Huion's especially. Some reviewers even said that the Huion's are better than wacom's that cost a lot more.

10. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    the local best buy had the wacom pen and touch tablet, small. just processed some pictures and it was not bad. used it in viewer and paintshop x16. pen and touch are a good combo. thanks for the input.
    frank

• Like Like x 1
  11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Nice to get some feedback :):)