1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replacement for E-M5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Zobeid Zuma, May 16, 2016.

1. Zobeid Zuma

Zobeid Zuma Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    My old E-M5 has just about reached the end, I think. As I consider a replacement, it seems that I have several options.

E-M5 Mark 2 would seem obvious, but I'm a little wary of the swivel screen. It seems awkward in comparison with the tilt screen, although I must admit being able to turn it inward for protection does have some appeal -- I've broken the screen on my E-M5 twice!

E-M10 Mark 2 would give me a tilt screen and save me some money, but with compromises in some other areas. And, it still wouldn't get me away from the labyrinth of Olympus menu system, which continues to irk me.

So. . . How about these Panasonics? I have no experience with them. DMC-GX8? How is the viewfinder on that, as compared with Olympus? How is the menu system and user interface? How about the DMC-G7?

According to the specs listed at B&H, the GX8 viewfinder is 0.77X magnification and the G7 is 1.4X? Wait, that can't be right. . . That would make the view almost twice as big! Is that right? And then the E-M10 Mk. 2 is listed at 1.08X. . . Can these specs be trusted at all?

I do consider a good EVF as a high priority.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    EM1 or better yet (if your camera is still working) EM1mk2

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    How much do you use the Super Control Panel? I've gone back and forth between Panasonic and Olympus bodies. Even with the mess some people think Olympus menus are, Panasonic has nothing like the SCP. Yes I know the Q-Menus, on screen buttons, etc; they aren't as convenient to my way of working. Olympus also allows you to select which screens are displayed (something Nikon does). If you could hide several of the screens displayed on Panasonic bodies it would be close to the SCP with Panasonic's recording information screen.

The 2 way switch sounds like a great idea, but I have never found a really good use for it. If it could be a simple silent mode or swap between Myset modes. I'm not saying that some/many don't find it useful. Just that I've owned 3 bodies with and haven't really put it to good use. As to the EVF, the EM10 mkII has the same EVF as the original EM5 so if that worked for than it should still be fine.

4. Zobeid Zuma

May 13, 2013
    I never use SCP. I don't even have it enabled. (And I don't remember how to enable it. I think that's buried down deep in some obscure menu.) I dislike touch screens, so touch is turned off. And the SCP, from my experience, was a bit of a jumbled mess as compared with the INFO menu on my Pentaxes. When shooting the E-M5, I change basic settings using the OK button followed by twiddling the control dials. That seems to work pretty well for most things.

Not sure what switch you are referring to?

Uhh. . . I was under the impression that the EM-10 Mk 2 had an uprated EVF with higher resolution. I really would like some improvement over the original E-M5's EVF. I know better ones are available now.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    OK, well I've never used a Pentax DSLR but a quick look on DPReview makes me think the Pentax INFO screen is a lot like the Olympus SCP. Maybe it's different in use?

The E-M5 mkII, E-M1, and E-P5 all have what they call a 2x2 switch. Here's the information:
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review

The E-M10 mkII EVF is an improvement over the EVF in the E-M10 mkI since it wasn't the one from the E-M5 mkI. So adding the EVF from E-M5 mkI to the E-M10 mkII was an upgrade for that model. Yes the EVF in the E-M5 mkII and E-M1 are better.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    From Digitalcamerareview

From Dpreview
    touchscreen.

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Looks pretty similar

8. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    I think the swivel screen issue of the EM-5 II has been blown out of proportion. Its a nice feature to have and you don't have to get it out and swivel it all the time. Most of the times it is right where it should be i.e. flat on the back wall of the camera and I have used the swivel feature for probably less than 5% of the total time I have used the camera. You have rightly mentioned that the ability to turn in inwards and store for carrying is a really useful feature.

9. Zobeid Zuma

May 13, 2013
    Looks are deceiving. The Pentax INFO screen is much easier to navigate.

It's been a while, so I started up my E-M5 to take a look at it. First I had to figure out how to enable the SCP, which took several minutes of menu diving. Then I had to figure out how to get into it. . . As near as I can figure, you have to put the EVF into auto-switch mode (whether you want that or not), then you can use the EVF switch to call up the SCP. Except, then you can *see* the SCP, but you can't actually use it. Any attempt to move around it with the direction buttons will kick you into a different screen where you move the focus point. Instead, you have to push the OK button first to make the SCP active, then you can begin to navigate around it. You will notice that the various items in the SCP are different sizes, and it's not a simple matrix. Which means that moving from one item to another often requires a counter-intuitive sequence of button presses in different directions.

By comparison. . . On my Pentax Q7, I get into the INFO screen by pushing the INFO button. Then I use the direction buttons to navigate the 5 X 3 matrix and select what I want. That's it.

To me, the SCP is just another example of Olympus taking something that should be dead simple and making it as complicated as possible.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Actually you can set the SCP to display directly from one press of the OK. And I believe (though I never tried it) that even when using the EVF only you can have the OK set to bring up the SCP on the back lcd.

I only bring this up because Panasonic doesn't really have it. But as you describe how you use it maybe just using the Panasonic recording information screen and the EVF might work better for you. I would make sure to try it first and I would also recommend trying to setup the SCP to work with the OK button on your EM5. If I had an Olympus body to play with I would give you more information about setting but I don't currently.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Not sure what you are doing wrong but I just press the ok button (on my EM1 and EM5) and it brings up the SCP. The ok button is in the center of the arrow keys so I just roll my thumb on the arrow key of choice and I am moving around the SCP. Don't understand why you are messing with the EVF switch to get to the SCP. For me, I just press the ok switch and it brings up the SCP and then the arrow keys to move around it. Which is super simple because the ok switch sits in the middle of the arrow keys. Works this way no matter how I have the EVF set up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The SCP can be viewed with the EVF switch (view through EVF & display SCP on screen) & by pressing the OK button it activates access which can then be used by touch (if activated), but........
    The usual way of accessing the SCP is in normal Auto EVF/Screen mode by pressing the OK button (if the SCP has been turned ON in Menu *D, Control Settings). Each box can be touch selected & value changed with the front dial (or pressing OK again & using front dial or 4 way pad). The rear dial will move it around the SCP, but touch selecting is quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, we can have a religious war about that!! I do a lot of shooting from the waist with the screen flipped up so I'm looking down onto it. This is real easy with a flip only screen. Doing it with a fully articulating screen means folding it out first, making the camera twice as wide, awkward to handle and more fragile. I hate them. I admit they are useful for portrait use, but in truth they're a feature designed for video users.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    You haven't explained much about what you are looking for, so it's hard to give a recommendation that comes largely down to personal preferences, but if I had to replace my EM5 it would be with a GX80/85.

No bump in megapixels, but wifi, peaking, built in flash, reduced shuttershock and higher shutter speeds, DFD and 4k video and photo all with 5 axis stabilization and in a rangefinder style body. Seems like the best of both to me, and not even an absurd introductory price.

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    ZZ, if you have been using the E-M5 for a while now and still find the SCP too complicated or not useful I would definitely say give Panasonic a look. From years of posts on this forum it seems like some percentage of the population just can't get on with Oly menus at all.

If I were you I'd be looking at the new Panasonic GX85/80. Small but mighty: hands on with the Panasonic GX85/GX80

• Like Like x 1
  16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

lol I actually prefer the Olympus menus but hate the SCP - it's too cluttered for my liking. I also own a Panasonic, but don't find the menu interface much better. At least Panasonic do touch interfaces better.

That aside, the E-M1 would be a HUGE upgrade in usability. The EVF is much better, there are so many physical controls that I rarely need to menu dive. I've got direct AF point select using the D-pad, ISO, WB, Rec, AEL, Keystone and magnify on buttons, AF/MF on the 2x2 dial, and Drive Mode/Bracket, AF mode/Flash on the dual function buttons on top. I don't use the SCP, everything else is so obscure that the menu is fine.

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes blown out of proportion and can be as bad as a religious war. But I fall on the same side of the war as the OP. I greatly prefer tilt, but I do understand others prefer articulating.

I completely agree that each menu system has it's own issues. Olympus menus may be deep and complicated. But Panasonic disables options and it's not always clear what you need to change to be able to use them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I think that a lot of landscape photographers would also prefer the swivel version. I use the GX7 and would love having the proper swivel when I'm on a tripod. Don't use the normal tilt that much.

I can totally see the point for street photography though. Ideally they would offer each model with different screen versions but that would be too costly.

19. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    On my E-M1, that is not the way I have mine set up at all. While I forget off hand how I got it setup specifically, I have the auto switch turned OFF so I am always using the EVF (not the back LCD). When ever I need to access the SCP, I simply hit the OK button and it appears in the EVF and I can then move around and change settings without having to remove my eye. It doesn't get much easier than that.

Uh huh, you mean like if the big box you want is down from the little box you are in, pressing the down arrow to get to it is not as intuitive as when the boxes are all the same size and the one you want is down from the one you are in, now pressing the down arrow makes sense? ;)

Sure, just like I explained how my SCP is set up. Press the OK button, press the direction buttons (or use the scroll wheels if you prefer) to navigate the matrix, and select what I want. That's it. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I would think that would make the E-M2 II the best choice for you. Personally I like the tilt screen, but if I had broken the back LCD on one camera twice, I would seriously consider the model that will allow me to turn the screen against the body. Did the screen break while you were using the camera or just when it was packed away in a bag or something?

Unfortunately any Oly body is going to be that way. So if you stick with Olympus, then you have to stick with the menu system. The Panny people do love their Pannys, so I doubt you could go wrong with one of those models either.