Replacement for 12-32mm on GX9

krox

New to Mu-43
The Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 is a special lens. On some subjects it has "Leicaness" esp. with clouds in the sky. On other subjects it is merely excellent. You will find it is significantly better on some subjects than the ordinary Lumix lenses. I have quite a few of them (2 of the 12-32) and rarely use them. Put the 12-32 on a small body, GM-x.

You owe it to yourself to buy one and use it. If you find the rendering it has is not worth it for you, then you can easily resell it.

For handling, put your hand under the lens. Act like you are using the lens, not the body, as the "camera"

What is "Leicaness"? I was trying to find some information on the internet, but without any luck.

I am a little bit concerned about using GX9 in humid conditions, light rain or just shooting waterfalls where it's possibility that some water droplets might land on body. This should not be a problem for Panasonic Leica 12-60mm, because it's weather sealed. But the camera itself would be still a bottleneck. To take full advantage of weather sealing, I would need to get a body like G9 or G90, right?

Is the weather sealing of Leica 12-60mm any different to Panasonic12-60mm?

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Leicaness is a term often used for the very special and beautiful rendering given by (some?) Leica lenses. I've heard it being related to micro-contrast, but who knows.

Yet, when you see it you will be impressed.

Real Name
Henrik
What is "Leicaness"? I was trying to find some information on the internet, but without any luck.

I am a little bit concerned about using GX9 in humid conditions, light rain or just shooting waterfalls where it's possibility that some water droplets might land on body. This should not be a problem for Panasonic Leica 12-60mm, because it's weather sealed. But the camera itself would be still a bottleneck. To take full advantage of weather sealing, I would need to get a body like G9 or G90, right?

Is the weather sealing of Leica 12-60mm any different to Panasonic12-60mm?
Don't worry about droplets :) It's such a well-built camera that some rain won't be an issue I'd say - at least it hasn't been for me.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I picked up a 14-140ii for dirt cheap on Craigslist. For $160 USD I really wasn't expecting much and the one I got was the earlier non weather sealed version.

This lens blew me away! So much freedom compared to 12-35, 35-100 2.8 combo. Beautiful rendering, great image quality even compared to the PL's I own/have owned. Next trip I may just use this lens + 20mm 1.7

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Leicaness is a term often used for the very special and beautiful rendering given by (some?) Leica lenses. I've heard it being related to micro-contrast, but who knows.

Yet, when you see it you will be impressed.
I've owned two Leica kits, 1960s and 1990s. With access to a lot of loan equipment.

I have yet to see any special 'Leica look', other than their prices ...

That article is pure bias confirmation, IMHO.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Leica Look only applies under certain conditions. Images can be recognized in a blinded test, so the effect is real.

I make no warranty on his claims as to mechanistic reasons as to why the rendering exists, or whether it is worth the price of the lenses.

And... as a professional scientist I am very familiar with confirmation bias.

krox

New to Mu-43
Honestly, I have to say that PanaLeica 12-60 sample galleries didn't impress me that much. At some point, I just wanted to get the deal to focus more on taking pictures than acquiring gear but wasn't successful. All deals on Panasonic gear ended. However, yesterday I saw some interesting discounts on selected Olympus lenses.

• Olympus 12-45mm f/4.0 for 420 Euro
  • Olympus 12-100mm f/4.0 for 820 Euro

Olympus 12-45 looks like an interesting lens. The purpose would be travel, landscape, street, and semi-macro photography. I am wondering if it would work well on the GX9 body. It doesn't have optical stabilization, which shouldn't be a big deal with shorter focal distances, right? The second thing is the opposite rotation of the zoom ring, is this something I can easily get used to? Is there anything else to consider and do you feel like it's a good deal?

Of course, 12-100mm is super nice, but frankly, the size and weight are already in the territory of 24-200mm FF superzooms.

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
Don't dismiss the Panasonic Lumix G 12-60mm. It is a significant upgrade in IQ from the pancake zoom. There's some - albeit little - difference in raw sharpness. But the jump in contrast is much more noticeable, and makes a world of difference. And the best part is that you can get the Lumix 12-60 for very little money second hand. I bought my copy for 165 euros, and it's basically in an unused condition.

For a kit lens, the G 12-60mm is quite good. At least for landscapes - which is what I use it for - it produces quite a nice rendition in both colours and sharpness. Which is something I can't say about most kit lenses.

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I've owned two Leica kits, 1960s and 1990s. With access to a lot of loan equipment.
I have yet to see any special 'Leica look', other than their prices ...
That article is pure bias confirmation, IMHO.
From my own experience, I would tend to agree, John.

I recently spent about 9 months with a Leica M-P 240 with a mixture of Voigtländer (which were very impressive) & Leica lenses. An itch that I'd wanted to scratch for many years. Did I enjoy the experience?

Yes, absolutely. The camera was/is beautifully built, heavy (in a good way) and a delight to use, with a tangible feeling of heft and well-engineered mechanicals.

A couple of months on from selling it (at little loss I should add) would I have another? No. There were the odd times when the camera put out (with the Summicron 50) images to make me smile at their quality, but rarely if ever did I feel the rig lived up to the reputation. Please don't get me wrong, the whole 'experience' was positive but on looking through many images in my back catalogue, those taken with my trusty old Nikon D700 match the Leica toe-to-toe. This will no doubt upset the Leica fans (I am still one, when all's said) but I love the output from my Pen F/P20 1.7 just as much.

Subjective? Yes, absolutely so others' mileage will vary. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom