1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replacement eyepiece for OM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mbbinvt, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Does anyone know how to get a replacement eyepiece for an OM5? Mine inevitably fell off and I'm afraid olympus will charge an arm and a leg for a new one. Does any 3rd party make one? Any idea how much one cost?
    Thanks for any tips you can offer!

2. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I bought 4 a while back from Olympus and I think they were $20-30 each. Just lost a second one about 3 weeks back and went immediately to using the strip of tape under the articulating screen to anchor the new one. Problem solved.

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Make one of Sugru:)

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Actually you can get it from your dealer... I got mine for $12:smile:

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Australian price for the EP-10 (the standard) eyecup is $12 & the EP-11 $25 (but I notice they're out of stock now).

6. ikonography

ikonography Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013
    Ottawa, Canada
    Peter Marshall
    Olympus EP-10:

9.99 @ b&h (USA)
    18.99 @ Henry's (Canada)!!

I got mine at b&h... But shipping the price advantage over a local dealer at say $12 if you can't bundle it with a pricier purchase.
    I also asked olympus to replace it under warranty since it is an obvious defect but they didn't respond to my email.

7. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Phewwww! Thanks for all the replies.I figured this would be a pricey replacement. I think I might try a drop of silicone (or is it silicon?) glue I have that beads up and peels off with a little effort. Either that or the tape idea suggested.

8. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8fOSo_EN-y4[/ame]

I made an eyepiece with this stuff, a nice custom fit too:) easy-eye-piecy;)

9. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    Absolutely fascinating stuff. I'd love to see a picture of the eyepiece you have created. Thank you for highlighting this incredible stuff.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If you keep the flash that came with the camera on it, you'll NEVER lose the eyecup!

11. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    i ordered mine from adorama

12. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I did that for a while but it made the camera a little bit difficult to pull/put in/out of the bag.

13. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I'm wondering if some of these eye cup's tiny little "hooks" that hold it on the camera are to blame. I have to really try to get my eye cup off my camera, and it has never come loose throwing it around hiking up on mountain tops.

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Seconded here, would love to see a picture of this - find the standard cup useless with glasses but don't fancy losing the frame edges with the ep-11. Plus i like bodging stuff together!

15. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Here´s my diy sugru eyecup. The original rubber came off, so I made a new one on the frame of the old. It was larger before, but I decided to trim it a bit. The coolest thing about this, is that you can make a custom fit to your face:) At first I made it cover the right side of my right eye quite far. Very nice in bright daylight, but it got a little big, covered the accessory port and whatnot, so now it looks like this. I haven´t tried fashioning a whole new one though, maybe it would be fun to try:)

Attached Files:

16. GreenGhost

GreenGhost Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    Peter Liakopoulos
    Thanks Neftun, just waiting for my stuff to get delivered. I am amazed at the extraordinary range of things that you can do and repair!

17. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I ordered original from ebay, can look up link. It lasted a whole week :)

Sent from my Ramos W27Pro using Tapatalk 4