Replaced my OM-D E-M5, ordered another one….!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Contrary to popular belief I’m not an E-M5 basher, it’s a quality product, so please stop kicking me it’s starting to hurt.

I have just ordered another one, express delivery, should be with me Friday morning.

Just wish I’d have hung on to my free grip.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No comments ..
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    My wife suggested to gift this to you wife if u are married Dave

photo2.

3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I read you previous thread but never really followed so I'm asking here, why did you decide to re-purchase?

4. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    sense with born got I haven't the was I............rearrange for the answer.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I'm curious to know, too! Doesn't the GH2 serve you better? :confused:

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The OMD will haunt you for life :rofl:

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Why the ridicule, guys?

Dave obviously was/is conflicted about the E-M5 (which is by no means a perfect product). He got rid of it when he wasn't feeling like it was the right choice for him and had the guts to write about that decision here at a time when many on this forum were/are clamoring to get there hands on one of these.

Now, that he's reconsidered and again posted his reasons for making the decision he's made, I don't think he deserves to be laughed at. Why do I suddenly feel like I'm reading a DPReview forum?

• Like Like x 7
  8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    +1, another GH2 owner sitting on the fence for an OM5.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I agree with many of your conclusions, Dave. The ergonomics are terrible, rear button focus is horribly place for my hand, the top dials are difficult to reach with the grip, in particular the forward dial (fortunately I can customize the dial's function, moving the forward dial to the grip helps).

Compared to the GX1, the OM-D is a nightmare while the GX1 is a dream to adjust.

This is the worst camera to manipulate that I'm ever owned. Over time, I'm sure I can adjust the bones in my hand to fit the design of the camera ... but Olympus, how about a little help.

Gary

10. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The original thread is posted above, explains it all I think.
    I edited it because re-reading it I thought it was a load of waffle, and who would be interested anyway.

Why sell.....we have ALL done it.....Sell in haste, re-purchase at a premium. :rolleyes:

Why re-purchase....Shoud never have sold it in the first place.
    Quality product, extremely important to me.
    Superb IQ
    Superb IBIS
    And I think last but not least, I could find nothing out there, taking the above into account that came anywhere close for £1k.

Yes I'll still be frustrated with it at times, but a small price to pay for such a quality camera.....IMVHO :rolleyes:

And, I have a full compliment of :43: lenses.

Someone asked about the my GH-2, I love it, it's a keeper, but it doesen't have IBIS which at 69 I find I need more and more.

11. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thank you DJK, support at last.

As I type an email has just come in from Amazon giving my tracking number for tomorrows AM delivery :smile:

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is nothing like dpreview here. We are just having a little laugh and love pulling each other' s leg. Dave is a nice guy and we are just amused how quickly he rebought OMD.
    Cheers
    :2thumbs:

13. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I am having trouble seeing how some of you guys think the ergonomics are horrible. I think they are mostly fantastic. The fn buttons could be a better and a dial or two and a better on-off button would help. I mean what about your hands makes it uncomfortable for you. I took off the grip a few days ago and even without it on the camera feels great in my hands.

btw ibis is one reason I went with the em-5 vs waiting for a gh3 to replace my gh1. I got tired of blurry shots, with my panny 20mm, that could have been saved by is. I might yet end up with a gh3 to save on getting one of the panny x zooms and we shall see who wins out. Just gotta get hustling to save up the necessary money. G.a.s. sucks sometimes.

14. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
    the m43 king prevails!

i have a small hands and also find some of the buttons are small, luckily the one I press the most (aka the shutter button) is big :D

cheers!

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That may have been your intent, but that's not necessarily the way it reads on the screen.

<rant>
    The incivility of a place like DPR doesn't occur all of a sudden. It's built on a foundation of perhaps well intentioned ribbing which is read the wrong way.

I for one very much treasure the respect with which opinions are shared and debated on this forum without ridicule or impoliteness. I really don't like to see that respectful environment eroded and I would just ask that people keep that in mind.​
    </rant>

• Like Like x 4
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Amen to the second part, but as to the core problem with DPR, I think it's not well-intentioned people having a little fun, it's a dozen or so ill-intentioned jerks who enjoy arguing - people who like peeing in the water just to get a reaction. With active moderation, cleaning up DPR would actually be fairly simple, as most people, even there, are both thoughtful and civil.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think you're likely right, but once a few people start "peeing in the water" (as you aptly put it) it seems that others are only too happy to join in the "fun."

18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I hope that you enjoy this camera the second time more than you did the first.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    re: Ergos

I've only handled one briefly, and I suppose with more time I might get more comfortable with it, but the GH2 felt great in my hands immediately. The OM-D, very definitely not.

I find the lack of a decent size grip to be less than satisfactory (as is paying $300 for an accessory vertical/battery grip when I really only want the horizontal grip). Reaching back to the body for the shutter release is not terrible, but certainly not as comfortable for me as the forward, grip mounted release on the GH2 and almost every DSLR. There's a reason why almost every manufacturer has gone in that direction--it simply works better.

More significantly though, I just found everything cramped. The rear dial on the GH2 is easier to reach and turn. The buttons on the OM-D are small and hard to operate, especially with the camera to my eye. The lack of an easy to operate exposure bracketing control, as on the GH2, bothers me a lot, as does, in general, the lack of physical controls like those on the GH2.

I have small hands and am right eyed, btw, and still find the larger GH2 much easier to operate. There are things I like about the OMD, though. Two control dials is nice, but I wish they were placed better. I think the EVF is more responsive, but I wasn't in real low light and couldn't directly compare with my GH2, so I can't say how much more.

But for me, the handling of the OM-D is compromised by Oly's decisions to 1, make it as small as they possibly could and 2, to give it "retro" SLR-like styling. Yes, it will fit in a pocket more readily than my GH2, but I'm much more interested in how it feels and works when in use than how it feels when being carried from place to place.

As I said, I might be able to get used to the OM-D, and if I just put the camera on "P" and pushed the shutter release it wouldn't matter. But with the GH2 there was no need to get used to it. Everything falls pretty much to hand, and the most used settings can be controlled with manual switches that don't require using the screen or EVF, and who's setting are immediately visible at a glance. My only real ergo complaint about the GH2 is that the WB button is too easy to push accidentally, but since I shoot raw that's not a fatal issue.

It's a very nice camera in many ways, but the improvements don't outweigh the disadvantages for me, especially considering the difference in price.

20. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've been there, done that. I'm now on my second OMD but I'm thinking this time I'll actually keep it for a while.

Sometimes I just wake up in the morning and decide to sell everything. I've done it with Nikon, Canon, and now with the EM-5. Then I wake up the next day and decide to buy it all back. It can be a bit expensive, but it's also kind of fun.
    Enjoy your new camera.