1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Replace my Pany G6 with ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by finerflower, Jul 14, 2014.

1. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    OK in my previous post, I was looking to add a second smaller body to carry around in my bag everyday something like the PEN E PL5. However, maybe I should consider upgrading my G6 to something with better image quality. I am not "blown away" by the image quality and am willing to sacrifice and sell this body for an upgrade. (Pany/Ply either/or) If I decide to sell my G6 Body and replace it with something smaller yet better all around rig, what should I look for? I want something suitable for my existing lens collection.

My current kit:

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G6
    Pany Prime 20MM F1.7 II (pancake)
    Pany Kit Lens 14-42
    Pany Kit Lens 45-140
    Rokinon 7.5MM UMC Fisheye

I am a hobbiest into nature, travel, creative, not to much portrait stuff. I use lightroom and learning photoshop. I want to be able to bring it all with me, yet throw a cam into a small bag for everyday use. I also use the wifi features in the G6, for Flickr, facebook, etc. I also want something that is widely used in the market so I have lots to compare notes about.

I have a budget of about $600 give or take. I will sell the G6.

Holly

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can probably do a trade or sell it for an E-M5, E-P5 or E-M10. All are near +/- the value of your G6. I'd keep your lenses because all of them would work well with an Olympus body. If you want to stay with Panasonic the GX7 would be a decent upgrade as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I'm a fan of the E-M5, but it sounds like Holly is looking for something smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    IQ-wise, I don't think you are going to find any of the other cameras you are considering to be a significant improvement.
    IMHO, the camera you have is one of the best on the market right now.

When you consider the features -
    excellent video, built-in wi-fi, good external controls, great viewfinder, articulating LCD, responsive touch screen, light weight, etc.,
    there is really nothing else that matches it.

Also, the ergonomics (handling) with the weight, size and especially the grip are excellent.
    I had the GX7 and sold it for a G6 because the ergonomics on the GX7 just weren't good for me.

I don't understand why the G6 hasn't had more buzz about it.
    Perhaps it's because it's not a flashy camera and doesn't have any radical design attributes.

What it is, again IMO, is kind of a summing up, a maturing, of all the best features of the Panasonic m4/3 line up till now.
    (Not including of course their larger, heavier, more expensive GH series.)

If you really want to try Olympus, I'd recommend the E-M10 -
    all the latest Oly features in a lightweight, well-built little camera -
    good ergonomics and reasonably priced, too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    As to lenses, you have a well-chosen enthusiast set (we'd all like those 2.8 zooms, I think).

One change to consider would be to sell the 14-42 and the 45-140,
    and buy the Panasonic 14-140 3.5-5.6 (V.2).

Not much bigger than the 45-140 (same length, a little fatter),
    definitely less to carry than the two lenses,
    and a lot more convenient.
    No loss in speed and good IQ, also.
    Just a suggestion.

My sympathies about the GAS -
    it's an occupational hazard in this m4/3 world -
    so much nice gear!

• Like Like x 2
  6. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I agree with spdavies, the G6 is a very good camera. OM-D's, top PENs and GX7 are the only reasonable "upgrades" and some of these you will lose some features.

Have you thought about upgrading your glass?

What don't you like about your images? Sharpness? Colors? DR? DOF?

Find what focal length you use most often and see if your money is better spent on better lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    My biggest hangup with my G6 is it seems BIG and BLOATED. I am looking for smaller form. Also, my images dont seem to be tack sharp. I especially notice this when I am tweaking things in lightroom and photoshop. Its probably because (I admit) my photog skills arent what they used to be (extreme nearsightedness). This is a major reason why I like EVF and not SLR anymore). Another reason why I desire a smaller rig. If I take it everywhere, I can use it more, thus increasing my experience and hopefully my images get better.

8. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    EM10 or GX7 or if you're happy with a removeable EVF EP5, E-PL5 or EPM2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I agree with what has been said regarding the G6 - In my opinion based on feature set its one of the best m43 cameras available right now. That said, an E-M10 is considerably smaller while still offering an EVF and a tilting touchscreen (though not articulating like the G6) I wouldn't expect any meaningful increase in IQ though - If you want that I think you'd need to be looking for a larger sensored camera (and even then, the IQ gain may not be meaningful). You would however get IBIS for your non-stabilized lenses.

11. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Try Tums for that GAS, That is not the camera . . . that sounds more like your shooting style and your glass. I have a G3 and an EPL2, both older tech and all my photos are tack sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  12. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The lack of sharpness you're seeing is either due to hand shake or shutter shock most likely, an Olympus EM-10 should take care of both issues for you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    But the G6 is not known for shutter shock while the EM-10 is . . .

• Like Like x 1
  14. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Since it seems that the two most important features for you are size and a good EVF,
    the best choices would be either the EM-10 or one of the small Oly's that are compatible with the VF-4 add-on viewfinder.
    From what I've read, it seems that is one of the best EVF's on the market.

You can't use one of the really small Pany's or Oly's that only have an LCD if you have issues with near-sightedness.
    Looking at those screens in sunlight will make a well-sighted person need glasses.

All in all, I'd say stick with the G6, upgrade your glass and work on technique -
    or go with the Oly EM-10.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    This was shot with the Panasonic G6 and the Pany 14-140 V.2, wide-open.
    Not sharp enough for you? . . .

G6_00200_SPDWeb1.

• Like Like x 4
  16. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Tack sharp!

My colors come up a bit flat too.

What settings do you use.

I usually go with aperture priority. But I do a lot of architecture and landscape. I use a pretty high aperture f11 and up. This might be my whole problem. I just read that m43 cams should shoot only 8 and wider and never an ISO over 3200. I'm going to change my whole approach.

But I still want something tiny!

17. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    The EM-10 might do the trick then. How are you with the Panasonic operating system. The Olympus one has a large learning curve. But the Super Control Panel makes it quite livable. Visit the earlier post that recommended the camera size comparison site and look around.

18. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I empathize with your wants - I've been there.
    But the fact is that you have to have an EVF (I'm nearsighted, too, I know).
    The best EVFs are on the GH4 (expensive and big) and the EM-1 (expensive and big).
    The next best (or maybe as good) is the external add-on VF-4.
    It will go on a small camera like the E-PL5 but it makes the camera bigger again (the VF is rather large).
    You could probably get a small Oly with a VF-4 for $500-600.

I think the smallest camera available with a good built-in EVF is the EM-10.
    You can get one used for around $550-600 and new for not much more.

The G6 EVF is the best I've used so far myself - as good as the one in my EM-5.
    And the focus peaking and magnification really help with focusing.

About the technique -
    I think 5.6, 8 & 11 are the sweet spots on m4/3 lenses.
    You can go higher but you might get some of that thing I can't think of the name of right now that softens the image.

Shoot Raw.
    Process in Lightroom.
    Some ideas on settings -
    Don't spend much time on poorly exposed images unless shot is really important - IQ isn't there.
    Correct your white balance first, if needed.
    Maybe bump contrast a touch - not too much.

Play with whites, blacks, shadows and highlights to get a fairly even looking image -
    (depending of course on subject matter - these are general, not specific, suggestions).
    Then punch up the Clarity a bit to sharpen, reduce it for a softer "dreamy" look.
    Then hit the Vibrance to bring in your colors.
    Use Vibrance more than Saturation - it's more selective.
    I usually do my Saturation adjustments in the Hue and Saturation panel (see below).

The way to use all the sliders is just like focusing -
    for example Contrast - swing it all the way one way and then the other way while looking at the image -
    then slowly adjust it to the best look.
    You won't know how far to go until you've gone too far.
    (The story of my misspent youth . . .)

Now the real secret of color control in Lightroom is in the Hue and Saturation Panel/Tab.
    You can adjust colors individually (just red, just yellow, just green, etc.)
    You can adjust how Saturated the color is, how light or dark it is,
    and even what hue it is (e.g. a more bluish green or a more yellowish green).
    Very powerful.

Another nice tab to play with is the effects panel to add a touch of vignetting.

All the panels do good stuff but that's enough to get started.

Hope that's helpful.
    If I've shared a lot of stuff you already knew, sorry.

Aloha, Stephen

• Like Like x 1
  19. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Ok. I'm going to keep the G6. I'm prolly going to shop around for (1) 14-140 Pany 3.5.... And (2) bigger purse to carry around the not so big rig after all g6.

I definitely need to spend more time in the Lightroom. But I like the time behind the lens better and dream about the dreamy sooc shots.

I am anxious to see what Oly comes up with in September.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Sometimes it helps to talk things out among friendly friends.

;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Mate, hold onto your G6 until Photokina!

• Like Like x 1