1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

replace gf1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rejo, Feb 22, 2012.

1. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    Loved my gf1 it did everything I wanted, but its had an accident this afternoon and is no longer. So what to replace it with is the question, I've got a few panny lens and the olympus 9-18 so was thinking may I should try an olympus this time as stabilisation is built in and then I could use more oly lenses.
    Not sure what model to go for as I haven't had a lot of time to look into whats available, I did see the epl1 at a very cheap price, very cheap. I've also read this evening about the epl2 and its strange function wheel.
    What I do want though is a settings wheel like on the gf1.
    Like the gx1 but its a little bit too expensive at the moment.
    Any suggestions.

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The GX1 is the closest thing you can get to a GF1. I too bid farewell to my GF1, here's the link -- Goodbye GF ยป dave martinez photography

You may want to check on E-PM1 or E-PL2, both are well reputed cameras (within budget) here in this forum.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The rotary wheel of the E-PL2 works the same as the click wheel of the GF-1, except that instead of clicking in for the second function you press up. The GF-1 click-wheel is isolated from button functions though, which makes it better and not as finicky.... but the basic functions are the same.

The E-PL1 on the other hand has no wheel at all, requiring you to use button pushes for everything instead. Too much trouble if you ask me... The E-PL2 also has a 10% larger screen with 2x the resolution, faster AF and response, and in my opinion a much nicer style. :)

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If you want to replace it with another gf1, I am preparing to put mine in the classifieds. It was a great partner for the last year and a half, but I'm ready for a change.

5. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    try to visit a camera shop where you can handle the other models. On paper the olympus EPL2 and others should be better, and with built in IS, as you said. However, I really just like the feel and look of the GF1 more, like a brick of technology. The Olympus feel plasticky in my hands, like fancy toys... that's pretty subjective, I know, but try Costco or somewhere you can just handle the cameras and see what you think. Second hand GF1s are generally available for 200-250 bucks...maybe that is the way to go if you really liked your old one.

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I say get another GF1 if you really like it that much. I've kept mine for some time, even after trying to replace it with a G3 and E-PM1.

7. caver3d

caver3d New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    Go for GF1 or E-P2

Either get another GF1 (why not? I have one) or you can pick up a new Oly E-P2 (I have that too). Cameta has been selling the Oly E-P2 body (new) for only $299 - what a steal.

caver3d

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have only recently replaced my GF1 with the GX1 and it is a very viable upgrade.

There are quite a few GF1 bodies appearing in the used market and it is also worth keeping your eye out here and on the sister site "Serious Compacts" as there were some GF1's for sale recently.

It is a superb camera and mine gave great service for the past 2 yrs.

If you can stretch to the GX1 it is worth it, the IQ and AF speed are much better than on the GF1 and build is superb, it is a tad smaller but the grip makes the difference.

There have been some reviews and one I read inferred the IQ was better than on their GH2 and also better than G3 so Panasonice have done well - it is still possibly the sensor that will appear in the forthcoming Olympus OMD albeit with some Olympus tweaking.

9. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    I think you can find a used GF1 for under $500. Or you can get a new GF2 for $350 or a new GF3 for about $450. So get a replacement if you really loved the GF1 and it meets your needs. Or if you want better image quality but don't want to spend GX1 money then think about the G3. Not much bigger than your GF1 but adds a builtin EVF and a foldout LCD. Or, I am thinking about selling my G2 for under $300 with 14-42 or $250 without.

10. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    A GF1 body is approx. $200 on eBay. I just sold mine for $225 on Craigslist.

If you're looking for an entirely new replacement, the GX1 is probably the best replacement for it. A good alternative is the E-PL2 or E-PL3, but have a comparable amount of dials and buttons for control.

11. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    gf1

Ok at last I've got a free weekend and I'm in the same place for more than a few days and I've kind off narrowed it down to these 3.
    E-pl2, g3 or gx1.
    I like the idea of a built in viewfinder on the g3 but the size is something else. The oly with evf is roughly the same price as the g3 but a bit smaller than the g3.
    The oly does have the added ibis but not sure wether this is a plus point or not. Although I do have pany and oly lenses both with and without stabilisation.
    The gx1 is almost identical to the gf1 [size wise and where the buttons are] when I had it in my hand last week at an airport [didnt have a lot of time to check it out properly].
    The gx1 with a viewfinder is the most expensive of the lot but I haven't found a shop with the viewfinder to try it, I'm working on the assumption it has to be a million times better the the old one on the gf1.
    They all felt good when I had them in my hand, the g3 reminded me of a very small dslr.
    Non of them when I've added an evf would slip into a pocket even with the 20mm on them. The g3 definitely not.
    Is it a plus or minus point too having a removable evf as opposed to a fixed one ?
    I did also loose the one on the gf1 a few times but was lucky enough to realise pretty quick that it had fallen off. Does the evf on the oly or the gx1 have a click system too keep it attached or is it still the same push in type.

So opinions please.
    Thanks

12. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    You definitely should not have to pay more than $300 for a used GF1.

I paid $500 for a Craigslist GF1 with a 20mm/f1.7 and an extra battery about six months ago. I'm guessing the availability of the GX1 has a lot of upgraders looking to unload a GF1 quickly.

13. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I would suggest limiting the choice to the latest 16 MP sensor because it is such a considerable step forward from the 12 MP sensor in the GF1/2/3, G1/G2, E-P1/2/3. E-PL1/2/3 and E-PM1.

That would give you the option of a Panasonic G3, GX1 or GH2, or an Olympus E-M5. Of these, the GX1 is closest to being the spiritual successor of the GF1.

I bought a GF1 a couple of years ago and - given that my "other camera" was a Nikon D700, I wasn't impressed with the GF1's IQ. I bought a G3 last November and am seriously impressed with it. It is much smaller than the G1/G2/GH1/GH2 and fairly close to the size of the GF1 but with an added fixed viewfinder.

In your position I think the choice boils down to the G3 if you can tolerate the size of the viewfinder, or the GX1 if not. The GX1 wan't available when I decided on a G3. If it had been available, I would probably have chosen a GX1 over the G3. But in no circumstances would I have chosen anything with the 12 MP sensor whether from Pana or Oly.

The 16 MP sensor is excellent with very good control of noise up to ISO 1600, and that is what makes the G3/GH2/GX1 a substantial step forward from the GF1 in terms of image quality.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, you have to decide whether you'd prefer IBIS or sensor performance. The E-PL2 for most intents and purposes will have similar to near-identical output compared to your GF1, depending on your JPEG settings or if you're shooting RAW.

You have to decide on size, but for me, the PENs, GF1, and GX1 are all larger-than-pocketable, so any size differences don't mean much since I'd either have them strapped around my shoulder or in a small camera bag with all of the other lenses. I very much enjoy the viewfinder and find my G2's tilt screen to be useful for certain shots. If you'll be keeping the viewfinder on 99% of the time, I'd say just opt for the G3. It's hard to beat the price/performance of the camera right now, especially if you're considering purchasing a viewfinder.

15. The Oly EVF is quite large and I think when mounted on the E-PL2 some of the overall dimensions may be larger than the G3. The difference being: you can always remove the EVF from the E-PL2. If possible, try to compare the two viewfinders since they each use a different display method.

Even the E-PL2 should give you a small boost in IQ compared to the GF1. Olympus made from nice refinements to the combination of the sensor, AA filter, and processor from the E-PL1 onwards.

16. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    gf1

Oh dilemma dilemma
    Looks like its going to be the g3, spent a few hours today, the oly looked a bit plasticy but it was the white body which is a bit shiny they didn't have the black on stock but the can get one next week.
    The g3 is near enough the same size as the oly and if I put an evf on the oly it would be even bigger than the g3. The evf on the g3 is a million times better than the one on the old gf1. I like the rotating screen never used one before even though you definitely need a long finger nail to lift the screen.
    The Gx1 is very nice and reminds me of my old gf1 but if I put an evf on that then things are starting to get expensive and then do I spend a bit more for the new oly which should be here in a few weeks. When I look at the specs of the oly om5 its pretty similar to the g3 but double the price. It would have to be something very special to justify the price.
    So it seems to boil down to stabilised body vs built in viewfinder, and a few more pixels.
    There was one thing that I couldn't find and that was a bulb setting on both bodies .... surely there must be one ?
    How bigger difference will a stabilised body make ?
    Plus or minus points to either of these two !!!!
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I have the GF1, E-PL2 and G3. I much prefer the handling of the E-PL2 over the G3; I was never able to get used to the G3's grip and reduced (vs. GF1) number of control buttons and other features. The articulating screen is okay, but I didn't find myself using it much at all.

But....it's a personal preference thing and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

18. LindaZ

LindaZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    nice...see i'm looking to upgrade my PL1 at one point so this was helpful. G3 is tempting.

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The advantages of a stabilized body are that for any shots you've had up to now which have had slight motion blur would have less blur. It helps when you're on the edge of handholdability, like shooting the 20mm at 1/2 second, for example. Then again, if you have a G3, the increased stability from pressing a camera against your face would offset any instability from holding your camera in front of you. Plus, the high ISO performance is noticeably better as well, so I think that those two features would offset IBIS. Again, for the price I think I'd either go for the G3, or if you're willing to wait, the GH2 prices should go down a bit. It's a bit larger, but it's basically an E-M5 without weathersealing, without IBIS, but with the added features of a built-in flash, nicer video modes, and the multi-aspect sensor that performs just as well, if not better.

According to the Panasonic website, the G3 and GH2 have a bulb setting, but only up to 2 minutes. The E-PL2 has a real bulb mode, which goes up to 30 minutes.

20. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    gf1

Two minutes for a bulb setting .... thats not a real bulb setting. Is there a remote shutter release to increase this time as two minutes is a real minus point.
    I've looked on the panasonic site but it doesn't mention one as an accessory.