Replace E-PL1 with EM5 or Pana G5 for video use?

VisualFX

Mu-43 Regular
I am looking to upgrade to a camera that can take good video for an upcoming vacation. I've been looking at the EM5 due to its great image Stabilizer but it has a fixed bitrate of 20mb. The G5 looks good with its 60fps, but it doesn't have in body stabilizer and the test videos I have seen are very jittery. Not sure why Panasonic won't put in body stabilizer in their cameras. Especially if they are pushing them as a video camera too.

on vacation, I'd rather not carry extra equipment like steadycam addons. What is everyone's thoughts on these two cameras? Does the EM5 still have the Olympus blues and color rendition as in previous PENs?

I really like my epl1 but really want to have something that takes good video too for my trip. I'd rather not carry around a camera and camcorder, if I dont have to.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Panasonic are ale to promote their cameras for video because they produce a variety of high quality lenses with inbuilt IS to go with their cameras
Until the O- MD came out the IS in these lenses was considered to be slightly better (by at least some) than the in body variety due in part to stabilisation of the viewfinder image aswell as that of the image being recorded or taken

jar

Mu-43 Regular
When is your upcoming vacation? I'm guessing there will be a bunch of used GH2s available at good prices once the GH3 is shipping in quantity.

VisualFX

Mu-43 Regular
December. I just dont under Panasonic not adding in-body stabilization to their cameras. They add all the great video features, yet the IS in the lenses are not good enough to prevent camera shake. They could at least add electronic IS, like camcorders use to reduce shake. IS in lenses will never be fast enough to smooth out jittery video, like in-body IS like the EM5 has.

Latest threads

Top Bottom