Repairing EP-10 Eyecup

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Well, I finally joined the club of E-M5 owners who have lost/damaged their EP-10 eyecups. Mine was found on the floor after an event, and I suspect that it worked its way off of the camera rubbing against my side. I have a new one on order, but wanted to see if I could repair the old one. The plastic frame cleanly snapped along the think bottom edge and in the same place on the top edge. As the pieces seem to fit together when held, I was wondering if they could be glued together and I could have this a spare eyecup. But, I am not certain what type of glue I should use to try and hold these two broken pieces together. The bottom one is quite thin, and the surface contact between the to sides is as small as the head of a pin. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Ken

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Not a fan of the bump except in F/S forums, but I thought I would check one more time to see if anybody has any glue recommendations for repairing a broken EP-10.

--Ken

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I have used This to That (Glue Advice) for this kind of question in the past. Gives advice on which glue to use for a given pair of materials. For rubber to rubber, it has the following suggestion:
    Rubber to Rubber We recommend:
    3M 80
    It's designed for rubber-rubber gluing! And because its a spray adhesive, it will do large areas quickly.

But for smaller jobs (like shoes) we recommend:

Barge
    Its easier to apply and with less surface area to adhere its extra strength will be an asset.
    Alternately, you could use a tire fixing glue that you might find at an automotive store.​
    Barge maybe your answer. Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    In this case, it would be plastic to plastic (as the rubber sits over the plastic frame on the top of the eyecup but the frame is exposed on the bottom portion. I will have a look at the site. Thanks for the recommendation.

--Ken

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Sorry, I misunderstood where your eyecup broke. I looked at the one on my E-M10 and now I see what you were talking about. I think that JB Weld (or probably any other epoxy) would be a good choice.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1