1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Repair advice and thoughts

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CharlieL, May 12, 2016.

1. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    I have a GX7 with a piece of crud on the sensor, it is not on the top protective layer/filter but underneath the clear part, but above the sensor.

I do not have experience with getting cameras repaired. I am wondering if it would be cost effective to have repaired/cleaned or should I start shopping for another used camera.

Many moons ago I had cameras CLA-ed a few times, but I have never had a digital camera repaired, up to now (gx7) I have considered my digital cameras disposable until now.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Huh, what could get between the sensor and the filter? Are you sure it's not a dead set of pixels?

As for repair, you could send it to the Texas facility for an estimate, and should you choose to accept their estimate, around a 30-day turnaround. Maybe less since you live in the same state.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My GM1 came with crud under the filter stack, it got replaced under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I can see it coming out of the factory like that (QC fail, though), but once in the field how does that happen? I guess if the adhesive is improperly applied, resulting in an air gap, that could happen. Maybe the two layers aren't glued together?