Renting an OMD this weekend -- key settings???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 2, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm renting an OMD just for this weekend. I'd like to just try out the new sensor. I don't think I'm interested in the OMD itself. Just making a decision whether to wait for Pens with the new sensor, or try out a GX1.

I am very comfortable with Oly menus, having had an EP1, 3 PL2 and EPM1.

I will be shooting RAW.

So, my question is -- other than turning on the SCP, what other key settings on the OMD do I need to be aware of? I'm not looking for HDR, tone control (RAW, after all) or anything fancy. Just to maximize my time with the sensor for RAW stills (don't care about movies). Shooting most likely in 'A' mode.

From what I've read, it seems the OMD is a different animal from the Pens, so I'm just looking to cheat on the learning curve ;)
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd recommend this for any camera, but adjust the jpeg settings to give maximum DR (Auto gradation, natural colour, -ve contrast) to give you a better indication in your live view image of where the raw highlight limits are and adjust your exposure compensation up to suit. The E-M5 is more tolerant of raising the exposure of shadows in PP compared to the 12MP Pens but will benefit from ETTR as much as any camera will. Setting up the basic image parameters is not that far removed from the E-PM1.
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Don't forget to turn "keep warm color" off in Custom menu G, and enjoy the camera !

C U