Renting an OMD - heavy for its small built in grip?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 2, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm renting an OMD for the weekend, to try it out.

I dont think I will be buying one. Its very fast, super quiet, and provides great control, but not quite what Im looking for.

But one thing struck me - it feels pretty heavy for the tiny grip it has. And I'm an EPM1 user, so I'm used to minimal grips! Is it just me??
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I would agree. Just look at how many people are using the grip...i wish oly had included it and raised the price by less than 300 personally.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I agree... When I switch to my GF1, I just realize how much lighter it is. I think the GF1 is metal alloy as well. Not too sure what contributes such difference in weight. I'm pretty happy with the solidness of the GF1. The EM-5..... I am ok with it too, but I probably prefer the GF1 weight more. The construction is fine too. Definitely better than gf2, gf3, gf5, and gx1 imo.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    You can borrow mine for free ... and at that price I'll throw in a grip.

(I don't deliver.)
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didn't mind the heft. But for me, once I had tried it with the grip, I didn't want to use it without one. And to me it's not a $1,600 camera (and the 12-50 is also a point having a WR camera without a WR lens). That's the long and short of why I returned it.
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I thought so too when I first tried it in a store. It's very dense. It was like holding a thin brick with fingers. G3 felt like a feather in comparison. I still want to get the OMD at some point. Maybe Olympus will release a cheapie plastic version one of these days.

I had a chance to try OMD with Olympus grip attached and it does help a lot. I guess it's also possible to relearn how to hold the camera and just hold it more by the lens somehow.
  7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Yes, there isn't much to grip on.

The GX1 is by far the best balance between thin-ness and grippiness that I've tried.

Even my GF1 + 25 is easier to hold with one hand than my E-M5 and 25.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Without knowing what compentry contributes what to the overall weight, the E-M5 does have more heft than I might have expected for it's size. Having said that I don't feel that I need the grip, but I would have preferred a better texture on the handgrip. The cross-hatched rubber grip on the Canon G1X comes to mind.

I think that my ideal Olympus body to hold and operate would be somewhere between the E-M5 and the current E-PL3, but with as much of the E-M5 internals as they can squeeze in there.
  9. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    You guys are crazy :) Holding my Em-5 is like cupping the left breast of Jennifer Aniston :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 5
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't really have a problem with the weight. Being left-handed, I'm used to the left hand supporting the weight, and the right just being there for the controls. That said, the controls can be a bit awkward, so I expect I will bite the bullet eventually and get the grip as well.

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I really don't understand Oly's aversion to grips. I love the OMD, but the GH2 body handles so much better.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The grip on the OMD is perfect for me.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Honestly ...I have held camera bodies WAY worse than the E-M5, but its what I get out of it that makes me want to hold it.
  14. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012

And the D4 Nikon would be like Dolly Parton? :biggrin:

I think the camera is OK gripless until you start focusing it manually ... then the grip really makes a difference.
  15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    +1 . plus the design of the camera is great.
    i dont and never liked canikon body design. i understand it, the grip on my 5dmkii feels good, but that doesnt mean i like it. on my OMD smaller grip its fine for its smaller size and feels great in my hands. happy with it. :2thumbs:
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm much less precious now about how a camera should handle than I might have once been. I suspect it would take a fairly disasterous ergonomic decision for me not to be able to adapt to and get comfortable with a particular camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I actually think the E-M5 strikes a very good balance between heft and handling - no, it's not a terribly lightweight camera, but with a wrist strap and the thumb rest (using index finger for both dials) I can easily hold and shoot it one-handed. The mass contributes to the solidity of it, something cameras like the G3 seem to lack, and the absolute weight remains very, very reasonable.

Then again, I still get along just fine shooting a 5DII; my complaint about the DSLR is mostly carrying it around while NOT shooting it, as the non-weight related ergonomics while shooting are unmatchable by a smaller form factor camera, IMO.
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Totally agree with the OP that the grip on the E-M5 is almost non-existent. I never use that camera without the add-on horizontal grip, even if it means I have to remove it everytime I have to change battery... Without that extra grip, the camera just feels off-balance with anything larger than a pancake lens attached to it...

Similarly, I can't do without a Franiec grip for my E-PL3 or the large grip for my E-P3... I cannot understand why Olympus stop making better built-in grip for its m4/3 cameras since the 3rd gen PENs...
  19. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    You are so right.

I read all these grip/no-grip threads and it's like people are speaking a foreign language. I came straight from 35mm film (OM4-Ti) to an E-M5.

I suspect it must be because I am so used to manual focus and aperture ring manipulation. With any lens/camera combo on the OM with any heft to it, I would support the system weight in the palm of my left hand - mostly supporting the lens - with the fingers and thumb coming up each side of the lens barrel and driving the aperture and focus rings - Shutter speed ring as well if on manual.

My right hand only takes weight when I am using smaller lenses. Normally it just steers and operates other controls.

I am still using my big OM glass with the E-M5 and also don't get the balanced/unbalenced arguments as one of my lenses is large and weighs 2kg on it's own. When you are carrying the system weight balanced in your left palm, there is no 'unbalanced'.
  20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Since I also use my 4/3's lenses on my E-M5, I decided to make my own (leather covered) grip & save my money on buying one. I rely on having a grip strap to relieve my thumb joint (arthritis). Also, I don't need to take it off to change the battery as well as the other features I added into it. It could use some improvement, but it works quite well.

Clicking on the photos will take you too my gallery where the work in progress photos are too.
    • Like Like x 2